PDA

View Full Version : Workgroup browsing speed too damn slow in WinXP Pro!!!

The Punisher
05-04-04, 03:33 AM
Are there any special settings in WinXP Pro SP1 that can speed up its network browsing? Whenever I browse my workgroup I've to wait about 30 seconds just for the list of PCs to a appear. Then when it does, I've to wait another 20 seconds or so when I click on one of the PCs to show its shared folders! I never had to wait this long to browse my workgroup with Win98SE so I was wondering if there was any special network settings or registry entries or services etc that need to be adjusted to make browsing faster. The PCs typically running in my workgroup are P4s with MSI mobos with at least 256MB RAM. All PCs are using D-Link network cards with proper D-Link drivers installed instead of the default Realtek driver that WinXP uses. Any help is appreciated.

Gator
05-04-04, 08:33 AM
try installing the Netbeui protocall as well, it may help. I've found it does on small workgroups in the home.

To install it, put the XP cd in the CDROM, add protocall in Network Properties, and click HAVE DISK. It's on the CD in \VALUEADD\MSFT\NET\NETBEUI folder

The Punisher
05-06-04, 07:23 AM
try installing the Netbeui protocall as well, it may help. I've found it does on small workgroups in the home.

To install it, put the XP cd in the CDROM, add protocall in Network Properties, and click HAVE DISK. It's on the CD in \VALUEADD\MSFT\NET\NETBEUI folder

Found the protocol on the disc & will check it out. Thanx. Anybody else have alternate solutions for my problem pls con't posting.

sytaylor
05-06-04, 07:30 AM
SHouldn't this be in general software, not hardware?

The Punisher
05-06-04, 07:43 AM
SHouldn't this be in general software, not hardware?

I've posted on 3 threads already & as far as I know this is the only one that someone has replied to me. I'll give General Software a go.