PDA

View Full Version : Doom 3 Previews for Xbox at GameSpot

Kain
05-04-04, 08:04 AM
And for those of us who didn't think it was possible, it appears that id and Vicarious Visions have managed to bring the game to the Xbox with no compromises from the visually impressive PC version. http://www.gamespot.com/xbox/action/doom3/preview_6095270.html

Edge
05-04-04, 02:12 PM
Hmm, not sure if I'd say there are NO compromises from the PC version, but it does look very impressive. I'm suprised a company like Vicarious Visions was able to port/rebuild the game so well, did anyone have any idea 2.5 years ago when the Xbox was released that it would be capable of graphics like this: http://www.gamespot.com/xbox/action/doom3/screens.html?page=16

poursoul
05-04-04, 02:47 PM
DID NO ONE FRICKIN' SEE THIS!!!

The Xbox version is being developed by Vicarious Visions, contemporaneously with the PC version under development at id. However, Hollenshead said that the Xbox version will ship after the PC version, and the PC version will ship when it's done. He wouldn't commit to a date; however, he did say that id will not show the PC version at E3 because the team is locked in "completion phase" at the company's Mesquite, Texas, offices. Activision will show the Xbox version at the show, and from what we saw, it's a safe bet that Doom 3 for the Xbox is going to be one of the major games of E3.

Remember either teh Carmack or Hollenshead saying they would go into a media blockout for several WEEKS before Doom]l['s release.

W00T!!!

theultimo
05-04-04, 02:49 PM
They're equal in rendering quality?

:udawg:

I can see some similarities, but still, with the enhanced resolution + AF/OpenGL 1.5 GSLANG, there should be a bigger difference then said...

stncttr908
05-04-04, 04:17 PM
No compromises? Having to run it on TV-res is already a compromise.

Wow, I proved Gamespot wrong and didn't even have to think. :zzzz:

Edge
05-04-04, 05:40 PM
No compromises? Having to run it on TV-res is already a compromise.

Wow, I proved Gamespot wrong and didn't even have to think. :zzzz:

HDTV? Also running it in higher resolution helps it look sharper and allows you to see more detail at once, but the ACTUAL graphics will be the same, which is what they were comparing (you might be able to run Quake 2 at 1600x1200 on a PC, but that doesn't mean it *looks* better than Doom 3 on a TV). Otherwise, wouldn't running a game like Syberia or Dragon's Lair on a PC be a visual compromise from the Xbox version on an HDTV (which runs in 1920x1080 resolution, higher than 99% of consumer monitors out there).

GlowStick
05-04-04, 06:15 PM
Uh, if it was ported with no compramizes what is this?

The PC and Xbox versions will share the same story and gameplay, though the Xbox's smaller memory footprint will affect level size; as a result, some levels on the Xbox will be modified to flow better

Sounds like the a comprimize to me, ala Serious Sam (they had to chop the levels up into 3, yes THREE peices) eg 1 pc level = 3 xbox levels heh.

poursoul
05-04-04, 06:18 PM
Did no one read my post?

where's all the w00ts at?

Edge
05-04-04, 07:41 PM
Oh, right, so it'll be released soon. Uhh...w00t!

GlowStick
05-04-04, 07:55 PM
Did no one read my post?

where's all the w00ts at?
Simple, they have beat all the woots out of me. I thought when the Pre-Order boxes showed up in DECEMBER, i wooted. But now im sure 'lockdown' means 4 or 5 months, and it will definatly be release a while after E3 because activison is showing it there as a upcomming game so heh.

nvjarett
05-08-04, 03:32 AM
not all of us are rich and can own HDTV's like yourself

Edge
05-08-04, 04:01 AM
If you can't afford an HDTV, how could you afford a high-end computer? I'm assuming most of the people here have put well over a thousand dollers into our computers over the last couple years. However, I'm far from rich and don't have a high-end computer OR an HDTV. So either way it's not like I'll be getting the "full Doom 3 experience", though I may upgrade my computer when Half-life 2 rolls around...