PDA

View Full Version : As an enthusiast I never thought I'd say this..

Pages : [1] 2

ChrisRay
05-04-04, 05:51 PM
But lately I have noticed that my upgrades have been more for the numbers than the performance enhancements, ect, I keep seeing new numbers and I Overclock, Upgrade, ect to try and close the gap between those numbers,

But In Actual Gaming I have noticed very little difference, Whenever new Hardware comes out, I just have to upgrade/Overclock ect,

I remember there was a time I'd only upgrade when a game wasnt running well And it was just way to slow to enjoy, (IE Voodoo3 to Geforce 2 in Everquest) Then later upgrading to a Geforce 4 Ti 4200, But that was about the time I got heavily involved with the graphs and numbers,

We're all worried about whether or not our PC will be future proof or will perform well. Kinda makes you wonder at times, Is there really anything such as Future proofing? As an Enthusiast I've spent so much money on my computers to try and keep them going, and lately that urge has kinda dried out on me. Sure performance increases are nice,

I have decided to go back to my original money saving upgrade philosophy, Upgrade when I need it, When the games are available. There is no such thing as future proof.

|JuiceZ|
05-04-04, 05:52 PM
But lately I have noticed that my upgrades have been more for the numbers than the performance enhancements, ect, I keep seeing new numbers and I Overclock, Upgrade, ect to try and close the gap between those numbers,

But In Actual Gaming I have noticed very little difference, Whenever new Hardware comes out, I just have to upgrade/Overclock ect,

I remember there was a time I'd only upgrade when a game wasnt running well And it was just way to slow to enjoy, (IE Voodoo3 to Geforce 2 in Everquest) Then later upgrading to a Geforce 4 Ti 4200, But that was about the time I got heavily involved with the graphs and numbers,

We're all worried about whether or not our PC will be future proof or will perform well. Kinda makes you wonder at times, Is there really anything such as Future proofing? As an Enthusiast I've spent so much money on my computers to try and keep them going, and lately that urge has kinda dried out on me. Sure performance increases are nice,

I have decided to go back to my original money saving upgrade philosophy, Upgrade when I need it, When the games are available. There is no such thing as future proof.

:thumbsup: right on man, I can identify whole-heartedly.

Skynet
05-04-04, 06:17 PM
There is no such thing as future proof.So True. Unless you live in the future, you are always behind the tech curv.

Jarred
05-04-04, 06:28 PM

I agree, I've been wating to upgrade my machine untill newer games come out, but I can always notice and use extra performance, as, I use 3d apps like Maya and Lightwave, it a;ways helps to be able to tumble poly's a bit faster. :)

SH64
05-04-04, 06:43 PM
You will always need to upgrade .. thats life .

Gator
05-04-04, 06:49 PM
it's true, hell the majority of folks out there still use PIII and are happy. But for the PC gamer, there the ones that feel the need to upgrade. But even then, lets face it even a GF3TI can handle UT2k4 if the rest of your PC is adequate enough, it just wont run with premium details that many of us demand.

But I hear ya bro, beleive me it would be very easy for me to just give Newegg my credit card number once again and buy myself an Athlon64 with all the trimings... but do I need it. Sure it kicks ass... but do I really need it yet? No, my AXP runs everything fine, and it probably will at this speed for at least 2 or 3 more years. For a gaming nut, that isn't the case, but if you are willing to compromise and cut down the AA/AF over time, or cut down the details, or lower the resolution a little, even the GF4TI still has some life in it yet.

I'm trying to save too, beleive me it's not easy to say no... but I'm trying.

Other thing you should consider is becoming a regular at ebay. Sell the old, buy the new

GlowStick
05-04-04, 07:11 PM
Yeah, there is no point to try to future proof, just have to give in and

Turn it ALL off, and then
Turn the Resolution down!

Heh blatenly stolen from bfg's slogan.

Cota
05-04-04, 07:22 PM
Even tough I'd like to always have the latest, I've learned that its better to wait and stay one step behind the newest technology.

That way I can get good performance for a great price.

Why get an Athlon 64 2800+ when I can have nice performance with my xp2500 @ 2.3ghz for a much lower price

Or getting a X800-XT or 6800ultra for 500+dlls now when I can keep my 5900 modded o 5950u and get a card that will give me 90% (the x800pro or 6800gt) the performance for half the price if I wait till december.

Time will come when getting an athlon64 will be worth it.

Just not now

XanderF
05-04-04, 07:24 PM
I see where you are coming from.

In fact, taking a look at the system in my sig....even though I *KNOW* a top-end, state-of-the-art Athlon64 with GeForce 6800 (or Radeon X800, on shelves now) would double the score in various apps...

For some reason - and this is the first time this has been true in years - I just don't care.

Really. I look at the games I'm playing now - mostly older shooters, hell, I still spend a lot of time in Tribes 2...a few new RPGs, some flight sims....

My 5900XT performs *just fine*. Decent level of FSAA and Aniso in each game, all games run just fine at my LCD's native 1280x1024 resolution....

I dunno, maybe if Doom3 and Tribes: Vengeance don't perform well on it, I'll upgrade then.

But, for the first time in a WHILE....I just don't feel like upgrading simply for the sake of higher scores.

eesa
05-04-04, 07:56 PM
What you said totally makes sense, but being an enthusiast is not being rational :) I'm dead serious. None of us "needs" this next upgrade. What's the big different between farcry at 1024 and 1280 or eve 1600 anyway? Cause it's cool and we like to show off and for some reason it makes games just that much more fun to play because we know what hardware we have.

Rytr
05-04-04, 08:04 PM
What you said totally makes sense, but being an enthusiast is not being rational :) I'm dead serious. None of us "needs" this next upgrade. What's the big different between farcry at 1024 and 1280 or eve 1600 anyway? Cause it's cool and we like to show off and for some reason it makes games just that much more fun to play because we know what hardware we have.

Just finished a review of a 5700 Ultra w/GDDR3 ram. It's much slower than the cards in the last couple of reviews but it dawned on me, after playing a couple of hours of FarCry, I could use this card on all the newest games and be content. We do get caught up in the hype.

GamerGuyX
05-04-04, 08:09 PM
I just make a PC for every generation of Windows. For example: I have a different PC for Windows 95, 98, 2000, XP etc. Each of those machines has the games that came out when that respective operating system was the top best. This way I know I will always be able to play my games and not have to worry about compatibility issues with newer hardware, etc. It also makes sure that I am playing the game it was meant to be played at the time that it came out (With the highest settings it can handle of course). So in other words, NEW VERSION OF WINDOWS, NEW MACHINE! Works for me! :)

eesa
05-04-04, 08:11 PM
haha, so I guess you won't be upgrading for a while...

Rytr
05-04-04, 08:13 PM
That's a neat idea! You can always go back to the games you want to play without any worries about new drivers, etc, etc.
I just go thru too much hardware. :(

GamerGuyX
05-04-04, 08:14 PM
haha, so I guess you won't be upgrading for a while...

In this case, I am probably going to have to build two Windows XP machines. Oh, and another thing, my iDeq can't be upgraded anymore except for the video card (which I will upgrade to the new GeForce 6800's or Radeon X800).

GamerGuyX
05-04-04, 08:16 PM
That's a neat idea! You can always go back to the games you want to play without any worries about new drivers, etc, etc.
I just go thru too much hardware. :(

Well, THANK YOU! :) It's nice to have a compliment! It just seems to me that people hate me in this forum! :kill: Or at least until I get like 1000 posts!

MikeC
05-04-04, 08:21 PM
No Buddy, we just have some hateful people in the forums.
The regulars like you it's the irregulars that get ugly. :D

Rytr
05-04-04, 08:27 PM
Irregulars generally do not become regulars, with a few exceptions. :D

GamerGuyX
05-04-04, 08:27 PM
No Buddy, we just have some hateful people in the forums.
The regulars like you it's the irregulars that get ugly. :D

Really, I should just blame myself if people hate me! :banghead: I think it was my third post or something where I REALLY pissed someone off. :bleh: I do word things bad sometimes! I do apologize though when I make people mad. :angel3:

quik_2_win
05-04-04, 08:51 PM
Yes. I've said "pass" on two 'upgrades' recently.
First, I bought a Mobile Barton and overclocked it instead of the A64 route. I'm VERY happy with that decision for now...
Second- I'm having a very hard time convincing myself that $500 is worth an extra 20FPS here-or-there. I think I'd rather turn the details down a notch and wait a bit. I will not pay $500 to 'win' some benchmark for a day, and honestly, the less-than-top-of-the-line hardware isn't very tempting at all. Perfect example is the A64 2800+. I hate to say it, but why would anyone want it?

Rytr
05-04-04, 09:14 PM
You have a very good processor and I agree that there is no real reason to change since you are happy with it.
I wondered about the A64 +2800 too. But the more I use my +3000 the more I like it. It does not give a decisive advantage that I can see in benches but in actual games there is a difference. I would call the A64 a gamers' cpu, mainly because of stability in games. I have used the following cards over the last couple of months with the A64 and have had zero problems (probably will now since I said that!) 9500Pro (modded), FX5900 Ultra, 9800Pro, FX5950 Ultra, 9600XT, and FX5700 Ultra.

XanderF
05-04-04, 09:36 PM
Well, another thing holding back my CPU upgrade is the need for a new mobo.

I *like* my Klipsch speakers, but they are Dolby-Digital input *only* for surround, and currently there is no sound card or motherboard out except for the nForce2 that can provide that.

It makes it take an extra purchase to do an upgrade for me - I'd need to buy an external Dolby Digital Encoder device to continue using these speakers with a new sound card (Audigy 2, whatever).

So....
First, I bought a Mobile Barton and overclocked it instead of the A64 route. I'm VERY happy with that decision for now...
Second- I'm having a very hard time convincing myself that $500 is worth an extra 20FPS here-or-there. I think I'd rather turn the details down a notch and wait a bit.
That's exactly - word for word - my decision.

And I really 'turn the details down a notch' *so rarely* at the moment, I just don't see the point in upgrading.

Like I said, true revolutionary next-gen games (Tribes: Vengeance, Doom3)....*if* they live up to the hype....*might* be worth upgrading to. That is, if my performance really isn't up to par.

But I really doubt that'll be a problem. T:V is based on the UT2K4 engine, and all reports are that runs fine on any hardware. And nVidia built the nv3x cores around Doom3, so I'm thinking my card will perform more than adequately in that game, as well.

quik_2_win
05-04-04, 09:56 PM
Well, another thing holding back my CPU upgrade is the need for a new mobo.
Exactly! ...And in my case, RAM as I'm running legacy PC2700... so total cost of A64 upgrade would exceed $450...
-OR-
for $90...the mobile Barton...
http://images.snapfish.com/33%3A6954723232%7Ffp58%3Dot%3E232%3A%3D%3B59%3D58% 3A%3DXROQDF%3E23234%3A9%3B%3A%3B588ot1lsi

Rytr
05-04-04, 10:05 PM
Mobile Barton and PC3200 ram and you're set for Winter.

kmf
05-04-04, 10:28 PM
Irregulars generally do not become regulars, with a few exceptions. :D

i do not post often, but i am here everyday. i do lots more observing nowadays. my first week here was kinda rough.*cough :retard: but i learned alot. :kar: