PDA

View Full Version : Horizontal banding with new GeForce4

jfiliss
10-13-02, 03:38 PM
I just got a new computer with a Leadtek G4 ti4200 64 MB, and I am getting horizontal banding visible on many of my photographs. Usually it's subtle, but not always. I am running 1280 x 960 at my maximum refresh rate of 85. Are there any workarounds for this?

This isn't par for the course for these cards, is it? This is the first time I went with nVidia over ATI.

Fluke
10-15-02, 07:15 AM
what drivers are you running with? You can see this in the Nvidia information window. No it's not normal to get that banding you are seeing...

PenguinJim
10-15-02, 07:37 AM
Horizontal banding? Unshielded speakers can cause banding on CRT monitors, I think (my brain tells me its technical, something to do with the magnetic fields affecting the path of the electrons from the electron gun to the screen). Do you have speakers sat by your monitor? Try moving speakers or other sources of magnetic fields away from the monitor (it can take some time for the paths to realign - degaussing can help speed the process, I think, but don't get carried away!).

I *think* that's all true... but I may have dreamed it and thought it was real. Or maybe I saw it on Star Trek? I assume you've tried reversing the polarity? (j/k)

Kruno
10-15-02, 08:08 AM
Cathode Ray Tube = electron gun?

Bigus Dickus
10-15-02, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by K.I.L.E.R
Cathode Ray Tube = electron gun?

I believe so.

Matthyahuw
10-15-02, 10:10 AM
Adjust your moire?

jfiliss
10-15-02, 12:26 PM
Thanks for the responses everyone. I am using driver version 6.13.10.3087 It was just updated, so that should be fine.

The monitor worked fine on my last computer, so I doubt it would have anything to do with electrical interference. I did move the speakers away though.

How would you adjust your moire? Are there any other adjustments anyone would recommend? Most of the controls seem oriented towards game effects, if I'm understanding them correctly, and that isn't my problem here.

Fluke
10-15-02, 01:01 PM
Things to do
1) move cards away from nvidia card, like tv tuner
2) make sure no cards in slot 1
3) make sure monitor cable going to card is secure and not wrapped up with others.
4) if you have extensions on monitor cable, remove it and test with original cable
5) confirm your refresh rate is fine
6) replace the card with another card

As others mentioned it sounds like either a monitor problem or a electrical interference problem. Perhaps the nvidia card is picking up more interference because it's more sensitive to this stuff. I had a similar problem to you and once i moved the tv tuner to another slot it fixed the problem.