PDA

View Full Version : Cnet review not to good to NV

Pages : [1] 2 3

Shadowx
05-04-04, 10:41 PM
http://reviews.cnet.com/ATI_Radeon_X800_XT_Platinum_Edition/4505-3025_7-30871661.html?tag=fr

Allot of people read Cnet not only the enthusiast WDYT?

eesa
05-04-04, 10:43 PM
http://reviews.cnet.com/ATI_Radeon_X800_XT_Platinum_Edition/4505-3025_7-30871661.html?tag=fr

Allot of people read Cnet not only the enthusiast WDYT?

lol, cnet did a review? Heck I don't even feel like clicking on the link.

Riptide
05-04-04, 10:44 PM
n/s. Cnet = <yawn>

ragejg
05-04-04, 10:49 PM
bleh, what a poop review... they obviously aren't aware of the industry cycle as it pertains to video cards, early drivers, clock speeds, etc. etc... basically a waste of words and time... maybe if they at least said "hey, folks, these tests were all run with early drivers, on preproduction silicon... we'll update as necessary when production samples are out, to make sure that you the reader are presented with accurate representations of these video cards' performance"...

hmm, well, there's my one visit to cnet for the year... :rolleyes:

:p

Riptide
05-04-04, 10:50 PM
Heh, someone at least took the time to read it. :)

There goes 10 minutes of your life you will never get back. How's it feel? ;)

hithere
05-04-04, 10:54 PM

That took you ten minutes?

The first sentence in the review was funny...where has CNET been for the past year or so?

SH64
05-04-04, 11:02 PM
Cnet ? what Cnet :confused:

Edge
05-04-04, 11:07 PM
Bwahaha, do they REALLY have to point this out: "Longer bars indicate better performance". Gee, really? I thought the longer the bar the worse the card was :rolleyes:

Anyway, the review wasn't THAT bad (at least they did some FAIR comparisions with realistic results...*glares at HardOCP*), but they spend too long droning on about power requirements, and going from the text you wouldn't even know they reviewed any game except Farcry (which they are very quick to point out how much better the x800XT performed, and making no mention of the way that a newer driver for the 6800 was availible or where the benchmark took place in the game). Also I REALLY would've like to see them bench some more games, they make no mention of how the 6800 generally performs better in OGL games. What happened to that Doom 3 benchmark everyone was drooling over a year ago?

Snarfy
05-04-04, 11:10 PM
Bwahaha, do they REALLY have to point this out: "Longer bars indicate better performance". Gee, really? I thought the longer the bar the worse the card was :rolleyes:

Anyway, the review wasn't THAT bad (at least they did some FAIR comparisions with realistic results...*glares at HardOCP*), but they spend too long droning on about power requirements, and going from the text you wouldn't even know they reviewed any game except Farcry (which they are very quick to point out how much better the x800XT performed, and making no mention of the way that a newer driver for the 6800 was availible or where the benchmark took place in the game). Also I REALLY would've like to see them bench some more games, they make no mention of how the 6800 generally performs better in OGL games. What happened to that Doom 3 benchmark everyone was drooling over a year ago?

is that the 61.11 driver?

i thought that one wasnt rendering farcry correctly, so should not be paid attention to in farcry, b/c its kinda cheating...

stncttr908
05-04-04, 11:16 PM
After years of finishing second to Nvidia in the race for graphics supremacy, ATI has finally handed a defeat to its rival.What a joke. They won the R3xx and NV3x battle for the most part. It's also funny how everyone else that posted a review today had close benchmark results between the two cards. Someone give CNET a clue please.

Shadowx
05-04-04, 11:20 PM
That quote is pretty crazy but their review was not that bad IMHO. NV power requirement is a factor and Farcry does show what future games will perform now we need NV to enable p.s. 3 on nv4x harwear and a path to see how good it does.

Snarfy
05-04-04, 11:23 PM
What a joke. They won the R3xx and NV3x battle for the most part. It's also funny how everyone else that posted a review today had close benchmark results between the two cards. Someone give CNET a clue please.

that remains to be seen

hardocp wasnt close ^_^

the sticky at the top has an awesome chart, but doesnt show EVERY review. dont think thats humanly possible, too much damn reading, lolz

Jarred
05-04-04, 11:23 PM
That quote is pretty crazy but their review was not that bad IMHO. NV power requirement is a factor and Farcry does show what future games will perform now we need NV to enable p.s. 3 on nv4x harwear and a path to see how good it does.

note they were using older drivers and the "extreme" wasn't tested...

Shadowx
05-04-04, 11:32 PM
i know that but the 6800 ultra is the x800xt competition or not? i mean in the 500$ ball park i am guesing the extreme will cost more, but the 6800 vanilla has not being review and noone knows how much it will be and when it will be available. I dont think NV will drop the 6800u card price it is a great card with new drivers and competes really well with x800xt. If they do drop the 6800u to $400 and makes the Extreme the $500 card then thats the x800xt competiton, but we will have to wait and see rigth now we nkow ATI will have the x800SE $n/a, X800pro $400, X800xt $500 and NV has 6800GT $n/a, 6800U $500, 6800UE $n/a.

Snarfy
05-04-04, 11:34 PM

AHA! found the 61.11 driver cheats in far cry:

117597 [TWIMTBP]NV40,WinXP: Corruption when trying to take a screenshot with AA enabeld in Far Cry.

117561 [TWIMTBP]NV38/40,WinXP: Corruption of some weapons in Far Cry.

117474 [TWIMTBP]NV40,WinXP: Fog broke in Far Cry.

113476 NV38/40-WinXP: Lighting/shadow problem in FarCry.

117575 [TWIMTBP] NV40/38: Banding visible from wall in FarCry.

so yeah, that would increase far cry performance by 20%... :lame:

hasnt nvidia done something like this before? and they tout reliable drivers? hmmmmm....

NightFire
05-04-04, 11:36 PM
Ye gods...
Snarf, I'll admit, they are cheats, but for the NV3x path, which FC defaults to.
Wait for the final drivers.
I dunno...could be wrong about this though...

hithere
05-04-04, 11:38 PM

probably because the new drivers aren't really drivers you and I will ever see, and the "new" card is really a hand-selected old card in a different box...and you and I will have to wait a while for that one, too. The 6800 "extra special Ultra" is a paper launch, imho. The 6800 isn't even on the shelves, and they're announcing the refresh? Give me a break.

From the back of the room: "OH, YEAH? WELL, THE SUPER-YUPPITY-DUPPITY-ULTRA-MEGA-6975 IZ GONNA HAVE EVEN 600 MEGAHURTZ FOR A THOUSAND DOLLARS, SO THERE!"

muzz
05-04-04, 11:40 PM

I saw the numbers for a 6800UExtreme in a review today ( somewhere).
It helped some.

ClosetFanBoy
05-04-04, 11:44 PM

lol. i feel used abused and stepped on.

flakjacket
05-04-04, 11:44 PM
eww.. that don't look good, please tell me that they aren't qualified to test new video cards

Shadowx
05-04-04, 11:46 PM
when nv30 came along there was a extreme type card that was never out in quantities. I hope this is not the case again. NV did the paper launch first but ATI looks more prepare or organise and their cards look's like will be in shelves allot sonner than NV card's.

hithere
05-05-04, 12:01 AM
when nv30 came along there was a extreme type card that was never out in quantities. I hope this is not the case again. NV did the paper launch first but ATI looks more prepare or organise and their cards look's like will be in shelves allot sonner than NV card's.

(drumroll, curtain lifts, revealing box) "Announcing the 6800 Ultra; Priced at $500, it's the FASTEST...um...er...wait a sec..."

(curtain closes, drumroll, opens again, same box) "Announcing the 6800 Ultra Extreme; Priced at $550, it's the fastest...um...er..."

(curtain closes, opens) "Announcing the 6800 Ultra Extreme Ultra..."

Shadowx
05-05-04, 12:24 AM
(drumroll, curtain lifts, revealing box) "Announcing the 6800 Ultra; Priced at $500, it's the FASTEST...um...er...wait a sec..."

(curtain closes, drumroll, opens again, same box) "Announcing the 6800 Ultra Extreme; Priced at $550, it's the fastest...um...er..."

(curtain closes, opens) "Announcing the 6800 Ultra Extreme Ultra..."

LOL! seriouslly i think there was a extreme type card of the nv30ultra that was only available in small quantities never to the mainstreme/

Edge
05-05-04, 12:27 AM
AHA! found the 61.11 driver cheats in far cry:

117597 [TWIMTBP]NV40,WinXP: Corruption when trying to take a screenshot with AA enabeld in Far Cry.

117561 [TWIMTBP]NV38/40,WinXP: Corruption of some weapons in Far Cry.

117474 [TWIMTBP]NV40,WinXP: Fog broke in Far Cry.

113476 NV38/40-WinXP: Lighting/shadow problem in FarCry.

117575 [TWIMTBP] NV40/38: Banding visible from wall in FarCry.

so yeah, that would increase far cry performance by 20%... :lame:

hasnt nvidia done something like this before? and they tout reliable drivers? hmmmmm....

Yeah, that screenshot corruption cheat is SO underhanded! Who would've thought they'd find a way to increase performance by making the print-screen button not fuction correctly :rolleyes:

Seriously, does ANYONE think that these are actual graphic BUGS and not "cheats"? This really seems to mirror the Aquamark/50.xx driver situation, very rarely does actual graphic corruption increase framerates. If you're really going to point out a "cheat", why haven't you mentioned this: "Notice that the GeForce 6800Ultra is rendering the scene with shadows falling on the ground and objects. All three Radeon cards are not rendering these shadows in Splinter Cell Pandora Tomorrow. ". How much you wanna bet that if the words ATI and Nvidia were switched in that review quote, everyone would be clamoring over how Nvidia is cheating?

eesa
05-05-04, 12:30 AM
rofl!!!! I never noticed that. Corruption when taking a screenshot!!!!! ROFL!!!!!!!!

maybe the screenshot doesn't lie ;)