PDA

View Full Version : Help! Quick PSU to MB question

Pafet
05-05-04, 12:42 PM
I've recieved my new NF7 motherboard today. It has an ATX12V1 connection which my old PSU DOESN'T HAVE!!
I didn't pay attention to the addition of this connector to motherboards so it knda caught me by surprise (nooby me :retard: )
I will buy a new PSU, now it's more urgent, but anyone knows what happend if dont plug nothing to it? I saw someone tried it with success, and my CPU is old (1600+) so maybe its not a problem??

any help appreciated!

Gator
05-05-04, 01:23 PM
I wouldn't try it. I mean the worst that would probably happen is it won't boot up or it'll give you an error at Post... but I still wouldn't try it. Yes you only have an AXP1600, but better to get the motherboard what it wants. Besides if you ever wanna go Athlon64 or something else in the future you'll need the new power supply connector anyway.

Try to get a Antec True 430w or higher. Buy the highest Antec True PSU you can afford, because with the release of the GF6 it appears devices are getting more and more power hungry now.

Pafet
05-05-04, 01:41 PM
Well you see, even the Antec 400W (Smart Power something) is too much for me... I didnt think I'll even need this :(
Plus, if I could buy Athlon64 and GF6, it will probably be in a whole new machine

Gator
05-05-04, 01:46 PM
Well you see, even the Antec 400W (Smart Power something) is too much for me... I didnt think I'll even need this :(
Plus, if I could buy Athlon64 and GF6, it will probably be in a whole new machine

I understand, and in that case 350w or higher should be fine for you, although I really don't wanna recommend anything less than 430w these days but it's up to you. Nonetheless, I still think you need some kind of new PSU, preferably Antec True series, because regardless if you don't need more wattage you still need that extra connector.

Clay
05-05-04, 01:47 PM
Is it too much for you as in "too expensive"? Check out newegg.com for PSUs, they have a lot of good quality PSUs and Newegg's prices are always excellent. I would think that you could find something to fit your needs and budget.

Pafet
05-05-04, 02:09 PM
I am not from the US!!!! and shippong is out of the question

Thanks for all the advice guys. I think I'll just stick to generic... maybe those 480W - now those are cheap. they must be good up to 250W or something :D

By the time I need a serios PSU I'll either buy a generic 1000W PSU or get a decent job :spank:

bout not connecting the 12V line, how dangerous is it realy :firedevil

Nutty
05-05-04, 02:10 PM
Let me get this right? On NF7's you need to plug more than 1 cable into the mobo?! Erm.. 1st I've heard of it.. *looks for his NF7 manual*

Clay
05-05-04, 02:27 PM
Whoa Nutty..yeah man, read that manual! :)

Nutty
05-05-04, 02:34 PM
Meh, it said general PSU's dont have that connector so dont need it. Been running fine for months without it.

I'll see if my PSU has one, and I'll try connecting it up. Do you think it has any bearing on me needing to up my Core voltage to get my barton stable at 2.2 ?

Nutty
05-05-04, 02:39 PM
Dang! My PSU does have that 12volt extra connector.. heh, guess I should hook it up! :D

Pafet
05-05-04, 02:59 PM
HAHAHAH Nutty :D I'm here all woried and you don't even care.

I checked the Abit forums and there are some people who don't use it and also don't care although they all get a 'connect the damn plug!!!' reply :D

so Nutty how's youre system doing now?

Nutty
05-05-04, 04:49 PM
Fine, it'll take more than a minute to untangle the huge mess of wires stuffed up on top of my dvd drive, so I'll leave it till another day.

The only voltage issue I've ever had is having to clock my core to 1.7 to get it stable, but software monitors report it at 1.65, so I think the BIOS is telling porkies..

Someone tell me if connecting the 12volt line will have any influence on this at all.. If not I may just leave it off. If it aint broke, dont fix it.. :)

Pafet
05-06-04, 08:35 AM
Someone tell me if connecting the 12volt line will have any influence on this at all.. If not I may just leave it off. If it aint broke, dont fix it.. :)

:D What PSU you use ?