PDA

View Full Version : New Half-Life 2 movies!!!

jAkUp
05-05-04, 09:41 PM
I thought this deserved a new thread :)

http://www.halflife2.net/forums/showthread.php?t=21718&page=1&pp=40

Edge
05-05-04, 09:57 PM
*doh*
"Live Shakey Cam Footage". Oh well, better than nothing I guess. But since I only have an Nvidia card, does that mean the video will run 40% slower than it would if I had an ATI card :D. I'm debating downloading these though, not only because I'm on 56k, but because I'm worried about spoiling the game even more for myself (damn friend with his downloaded Alpha copy, it was just so tempting!).

But, what the heck is D.O.G.? They seem to be mentioning him/her/it a lot at those forums.

GlowStick
05-05-04, 10:05 PM
They are pritty good, but nothing toooo new or unknown if you get my drift : D

jAkUp
05-05-04, 11:05 PM
D.O.G. is that big robot thingy that is supposly alex's pet

anzak
05-06-04, 08:49 AM
But since I only have an Nvidia card, does that mean the video will run 40% slower than it would if I had an ATI card :D

But thats still at 80+ fps (1024x768 4x/8x), and a 30% lower clockspeed. :afro:

Smokey
05-06-04, 09:11 AM
Honestly I thought these were pretty crap. none of them are fullscreen, and are bad quality with no sound.

Edge
05-06-04, 03:06 PM
Well, that's what you get for clicking "shakeycam" footage ;)

Also what they actually showed was incomplete, there were quite a few placeholder graphics and incomplete animations in some of these "new" scenes, so it'll probably look quite different in the final version anyway.

DMA
05-06-04, 04:04 PM
Shaky cam or not, it made the hibernating HL2 hype to wake up. :lol:
Thx for the link.

/me starts praying that a summer release will actually come true. :o

Nutty
05-06-04, 06:10 PM
Did ya see the massive slowdown on the explosion ? Wonder what hardware it was running on.

GlowStick
05-06-04, 06:29 PM
Did ya see the massive slowdown on the explosion ? Wonder what hardware it was running on.
Im pritty sure the slowdown is being caused by the cpu because of the physcis engine, same thing happens in painkiller and farcry and max payne 2 heh.

id software did brag that their physics engine is much more efficent than others!

Smokey
05-07-04, 12:03 AM
Well, that's what you get for clicking "shakeycam" footage ;)

Also what they actually showed was incomplete, there were quite a few placeholder graphics and incomplete animations in some of these "new" scenes, so it'll probably look quite different in the final version anyway.

Well I thought the fileplanet shakeycam was pretty good, and well woth the dl, I didnt think that these were, honestly, you dont see much at all!!

photophreak314
05-07-04, 01:10 AM
Im pritty sure the slowdown is being caused by the cpu because of the physcis engine, same thing happens in painkiller and farcry and max payne 2 heh.

id software did brag that their physics engine is much more efficent than others!

HL2 uses the same physics as Painkiller and MP2.

Havok 2.0

GlowStick
05-07-04, 04:45 PM
HL2 uses the same physics as Painkiller and MP2.

Havok 2.0
And that is why i brought it up.

***CENSORED***
05-07-04, 04:48 PM
Actually HL2 I belive uses a modified havok 1.0 engine. And I've read that Valve actually had a part in making version 2.0

GlowStick
05-07-04, 05:00 PM
Actually HL2 I belive uses a modified havok 1.0 engine. And I've read that Valve actually had a part in making version 2.0
No it usues 2.0, but alot of features were added from requests of valve

Havok is coded in a nice way where you can update and modify just the physics engine with out doing major, if any changes to your engine.

Thats why it integrates pritty easy with any 3d engine.