PDA

View Full Version : FX cards - do they ALL have hardware temperature monitoring?

Gator
05-06-04, 06:33 AM
Quick noobish question:

Do all the Nvidia FX cards have hardware temperature monitoring? Or does that have to be equiped by the card manufacturer? (Gainward, BFG, XFX, etc)

kev13dd
05-06-04, 08:06 AM
Its card manufacturer. I have an EVGA FX5900SE with a nice temp monitor. Then again, other EVGA FX5900SE don't have a temp monitor. Its all up to the manufacturer if they include one or not

K

Gator
05-06-04, 08:25 AM
Its card manufacturer. I have an EVGA FX5900SE with a nice temp monitor. Then again, other EVGA FX5900SE don't have a temp monitor. Its all up to the manufacturer if they include one or not

K

opps... in that case I think I picked the wrong choice, I have a Gigabyte brand arriving today, and I just checked the site and it said Hardware Monitor: No... damn I was hoping it was just a typo

Oh well, at least it comes with RavenSheild, and I like Gigabyte brand in general

ChrisRay
05-06-04, 08:29 AM
I can speak for leadtek using hardware monitors...

Gator
05-06-04, 08:33 AM
I can speak for leadtek using hardware monitors...

doh! too late :cry:

Daneel Olivaw
05-06-04, 09:54 AM
Bah, they don't really heat up that much. MSI doesn't have Hardware temp monitor, but it's got free vivo!

green_meanie
05-06-04, 10:49 AM
My PNY 5900non ultra has a temp. monitor.

BigE4u
05-06-04, 05:26 PM
I beleive just the 5900nU/Ultra cards come with the onboard temp sensor and just a select few of the 5900xt/se cards come with them depending on manufacturer. I know for sure the 5200/5600/5700 cards do not come with a temp sensor, kinda sad but what do you expect from such mediocre cards.

Ps- Flashing my 5900nU to a 5950U yeilded higher clocks and a 10c temp drop @ idle/load, best deal i ever got. :D

zakelwe
05-06-04, 05:41 PM
5700U and 5800 also come with them.

Regards
Andy

Gator
05-06-04, 07:31 PM
Well the results are in, I installed the card tonight and sure enough... Gigabyte brand FX5900XT cards donot have hardware monitor for the temperature.

Oh well, I like it just the same :) And besides I like Gigabyte brand, I got Ravenshield which I wanted, a couple other games, and it even has a blue LED fan which was totally unexpected :D

BigE4u
05-06-04, 07:38 PM
Congrats... regardless from not having a temp sensor, you will have plenty of fun with that card. If you think 1 fan with l.e.ds are nice, you should see one like mine(sig), it has 2 fans with blue l.e.ds, sure brightens up my case big time! :D

ChrisRay
05-06-04, 07:39 PM
Does the 5950 Bios really lower tempatures?

BigE4u
05-06-04, 08:37 PM
Does the 5950 Bios really lower tempatures?

Typically yes... noone really knows for sure why it does that... some specualte the fans are turning faster or a recalibrated temp sensor. Either way, having at least a 10c drop @ idle/load, is well worth the flash. Its like having your cake and eating it too but sadly, it disables the TV out or VIVO though, im not sure which. Doesn't matter to me, i only use the VGA out, thats all i care about and saved myself over $100 from the flash over. :D

ChrisRay
05-06-04, 09:01 PM
Typically yes... noone really knows for sure why it does that... some specualte the fans are turning faster or a recalibrated temp sensor. Either way, having at least a 10c drop @ idle/load, is well worth the flash. Its like having your cake and eating it too but sadly, it disables the TV out or VIVO though, im not sure which. Doesn't matter to me, i only use the VGA out, thats all i care about and saved myself over $100 from the flash over. :D

You'd think that higher Voltages would cause it.. yikes.. heh I wanna try now.

ChrisRay
05-06-04, 10:00 PM

Well tried it, And the temps are definately cooler. The Higher Volts make me nervous, But the card does run significantly cooler,

Max temp is about 6C lower, and idle temp about 10C lower.. Hmm..

BigE4u
05-07-04, 12:39 AM
Congrats... glad to hear it went well, those LEADTEK cards rock i hear. No need to worry about the extra voltage, its for the stability of the core and memory.

Ps- I hope you saved the original BIOS just in case, it good practice because you never know.

ChrisRay
05-07-04, 02:20 AM
Congrats... glad to hear it went well, those LEADTEK cards rock i hear. No need to worry about the extra voltage, its for the stability of the core and memory.

Ps- I hope you saved the original BIOS just in case, it good practice because you never know.

Well I have already Flashed it once, From a 5900XT to a 5900 Ultra, And now the 5950 Ultra, Tho I have verified that there are a few issues, It seems to be the temp drops are related to the flicker fix not being there anymore.

Sometimes in Everquest, When there are alot of players on screen, My card starts making this bizarre noise, (Same as the Mouse Wheel Scroll noise)

Its kinda irritating. Its the only place I have noticed it tho.