PDA

View Full Version : ph33r the 6800

Ruined
05-06-04, 08:45 AM
I think we can hand it to Nvidia for making a solid card this time around that easily competes with ATI's offerings. How do I know? All the nonsense posts trolling stuff like "OOH look how big and bulky is the 6800 is compared to the svelt 9800, check out this same side-by-side picture in 20 different threads!" and "LOOK at these same 5 hardocp/hexus benchmarks that use higher level Nvidia AA and ignore all the rest, ATI is king!" garbage. Not to mention people ignoring common sense, etc. This stuff wasn't necessary when the FX came out, because it was obvious it just wasn't as fast, so the fanboys felt a lot more secure. The troll patrol is out in full force spin mode, and I think that is a good sign that Nvidia has made a card that competes well with ATI... And is making the fanboys ph33r ;)

Though I'm not gonna spend $400-$500 on one of these cards, I'm definitely gonna go with a 6800GT when it hits the $200 range in 6-10 months. Well, that and a P4 3.2ghz. Both ATI & Nvidia videocards are excellent options, but I don't plan to upgrade for a long time, so I feel safer going with the SM3.0 part. Plus I do craploads of MPEG1/2 encoding/decoding and some occasional WMV encoding. And I like Nvidia drivers better. In other words, the 6800 is the card for me based on the features and personal preference. Glad to see Nvidia got their act back together and we can decide on cards based on features/personal preference without seeing a huge performance gap between the two. :cool3:

Blacklash
05-06-04, 09:08 AM
I read both these forums and Rage3d. I must say there are NV trolls over there, but here the Ati trolls are almost relentless...

MrTexTure
05-06-04, 09:44 AM
I think we can hand it to Nvidia for making a solid card this time around that easily competes with ATI's offerings. How do I know? All the nonsense posts trolling stuff like "OOH look how big and bulky is the 6800 is compared to the svelt 9800, check out this same side-by-side picture in 20 different threads!" and "LOOK at these same 5 hardocp/hexus benchmarks that use higher level Nvidia AA and ignore all the rest, ATI is king!" garbage. Not to mention people ignoring common sense, etc. This stuff wasn't necessary when the FX came out, because it was obvious it just wasn't as fast, so the fanboys felt a lot more secure. The troll patrol is out in full force spin mode, and I think that is a good sign that Nvidia has made a card that competes well with ATI... And is making the fanboys ph33r ;)

Though I'm not gonna spend $400-$500 on one of these cards, I'm definitely gonna go with a 6800GT when it hits the $200 range in 6-10 months. Well, that and a P4 3.2ghz. Both ATI & Nvidia videocards are excellent options, but I don't plan to upgrade for a long time, so I feel safer going with the SM3.0 part. Plus I do craploads of MPEG1/2 encoding/decoding and some occasional WMV encoding. And I like Nvidia drivers better. In other words, the 6800 is the card for me based on the features and personal preference. Glad to see Nvidia got their act back together and we can decide on cards based on features/personal preference without seeing a huge performance gap between the two. :cool3:

Well said m8 ;-) I will also go with the 6800GP and I have seen that the card can clock easily to 6800U annyway so that's the card of choise for me to.

And as you also said that's it's much safer to have SM3.0 ..
Yes it is and Ati have only old tech with steroids and no way I can cope with that..!

Drumphil
05-06-04, 09:45 AM
All the nonsense posts trolling stuff like "OOH look how big and bulky is the 6800 is compared to the svelt 9800

well, you may not care but it makes a big difference to me, and some of my smaller cases. And it doesn't look good to have a go at the opposing fan boys by ranting for a paragraph, and dismissing valid issues as your proof of how pathetic people who disagree are. Makes you look like a fanboy in fact.

This stuff wasn't necessary when the FX came out, because it was obvious it just wasn't as fast, so the fanboys felt a lot more secure.

er, does the term "leafblower" ring a bell?? Many people disliked the FX series cards for reasons other than performance.

anyway, the 68000 and x800 series cards both look damn good to me. I'm just gunna wait and see which design does better under heavy shader load.. See which approach actually does better in the real world. At least now I have a choice between two good designs.

stncttr908
05-06-04, 09:52 AM
You say that you'll be getting a 6800 series card sometime down the road. Who is to say by that time ATI won't have debuted a SM 3.0 ready part? Just a thought I thought I'd throw out there.

You do have valid reasons for going for the 6800 series, I'll give you that. It's refreshing to see actual reasons for making a decision other than "(insert company name here) r0x0rs". However, you made note of people's decisions to bring the size difference between the two cards into the equation. Isn't this a matter of personal preference as well?

Lfctony
05-06-04, 09:59 AM
I never thought about it this way before. Good point.

**Edit** They've polluted this thread as well. Boy, you people are fast! :lame:

PS: I hate fanATIcs and Nvidiots. ATI has a good, faster card, that is bested by the 6800U in some games. But I hate listening to trolls dissing the 6800 about the card size, or for extremely slow max settings, or the card's color! I also hate the fact that some people are dissing ATI, for not having SM3 support, despite being a faster card.

As I said, it will all come down to price and availability.

Drumphil
05-06-04, 10:03 AM
They've polluted this thread as well.

OMG, yeah what terrible biased pointless posts, quite unlike yours which made the point.....??? nope i give up. Frankly I don't give a damn about ATI or NVIDIA, I just want the best computer I can get. I will label BS when I see it regarding any computer hardware. When you do computers for a living your technicall bull **** tollerance level drops severly.

Riptide
05-06-04, 10:11 AM
I decided to go w/the X800XT.

That said, it was a very *tough* decision. One I am still not 100% comfortable with and I can always cancel my preoder @ compusa if I change my mind. If anything, that should give an indicator that this time around things are much closer.

I have no loyalty to either company. Anyone who does is a fanboy and that equals a moron IMO. Just my 2 c...

Ruined
05-06-04, 10:12 AM
You say that you'll be getting a 6800 series card sometime down the road. Who is to say by that time ATI won't have debuted a SM 3.0 ready part? Just a thought I thought I'd throw out there.

If they do, its not gonna be $200 :)

You do have valid reasons for going for the 6800 series, I'll give you that. It's refreshing to see actual reasons for making a decision other than "(insert company name here) r0x0rs". However, you made note of people's decisions to bring the size difference between the two cards into the equation. Isn't this a matter of personal preference as well?

Unless you are putting the card into a small form factor case, I don't really see how size is relevant at all. You put the card in your case and thats about all there is to it. It certainly isn't enough of a difference to warrant posting tons of threads about it.

|JuiceZ|
05-06-04, 10:12 AM
It continues...

Clay
05-06-04, 11:54 AM
...but when will it end? ;)

nevar!!! :D