PDA

View Full Version : shuttle xpc with the 5900 ultra

wU-sOLdiEr
05-06-04, 10:03 AM
i just purchased my shuttle xpc nforce3 pc. right now in my current pc (atx style) im running a geforcefx 5900 ultra. well i want to get the same card for my xpc but i know im going to have to go with a single slot card which isnt a problem. that is why im glad gainward made the card for a single slot. my question is this, does any1 else out there have a shuttle with a high end geforce card? if so did you run into any heat problems?

from what i read on article portion of this site, they were saying that the gainward card would be ideal for a mini computer (xpc). so i take it i shouldnt have an issue with anything.

in other words i really dont want to go down and get a 5900 when i was running a 5900 ultra for months now

ricercar
05-06-04, 07:17 PM
I had my 5800 Ultra in a Shuttle SN41G2 with a WD 1200JB 7200 HD and a modded 300W PSU. One hot night in the summer of '03, the HD and graphics card stopped working. No amount of testing got either device to work again. Both manufacturers RMA'd the products with no problem, but I do not put the 5800U in the SFF on hot summer nights.

The DDRII on the video card probably combined with the extra 100W from the PSU to heat the encloased space hotter than the hardware could tolerate. Oddly, the CPU never measured higher than 60°C that night.

YMMV. The 5950 has no DDRII to heat things up.

wU-sOLdiEr
05-06-04, 11:57 PM
i think i left out some info
the xpc i got is the SN85G4 (nforce3 board) the changed the power supply on the board. the gainward video card has two heating fans on the card. nvnews gave it a good review for mini cases so i figure itll b alright. or shoudl i get teh 128 bit card

damita
05-07-04, 12:01 AM
i think i left out some info
the xpc i got is the SN85G4 (nforce3 board) the changed the power supply on the board. the gainward video card has two heating fans on the card. nvnews gave it a good review for mini cases so i figure itll b alright. or shoudl i get teh 128 bit card

how do you change the power supply? aren't they a special shape to fit in so you can't use normal ones?

Clay
05-07-04, 12:10 AM
Am I the only one that is flat out scared to death of wU-sOLdiEr's avatar? :D I'm gonna have nightmares tonight for sure. :p

damita
05-07-04, 12:16 AM
Am I the only one that is flat out scared to death of wU-sOLdiEr's avatar? :D I'm gonna have nightmares tonight for sure. :p

isn't he playing an invisible cello? :eek:

Aranell
05-07-04, 03:31 AM
...my question is this, does any1 else out there have a shuttle with a high end geforce card? if so did you run into any heat problems?.

Hi wU-sOLdiEr!

I have a Shuttle XPC SB75G2 runnging with:

Intel P4 3.2 Northwood
2x512 Corsair TwinxLL
ASUS V9980 (Geforce FX5950 Ultra)
Western Digital WD1600JD
NEC 1300A DVD-RW

I never had any problems with the temperature... my CPU is running at 36°C in Windows and with max 62°C in Games. The FX runs at 45°C in Windows and around 80°C in Games. The Shuttle has a very cool Heatpipe System for the CPU, so the heat doesn't get stuck in the case.
I think there is one difference between my Shuttle and the one you want to buy which may be of importance - the SB75G2 has a case cover with mesh windows on the sides - so the FX gets fresh air directly. It's possible to buy the case cover alone (think it has the id PF16) - it fits on every XPC!

good luck, Aranell

wU-sOLdiEr
05-07-04, 12:51 PM
Hi wU-sOLdiEr!

I have a Shuttle XPC SB75G2 runnging with:

Intel P4 3.2 Northwood
2x512 Corsair TwinxLL
ASUS V9980 (Geforce FX5950 Ultra)
Western Digital WD1600JD
NEC 1300A DVD-RW

I never had any problems with the temperature... my CPU is running at 36°C in Windows and with max 62°C in Games. The FX runs at 45°C in Windows and around 80°C in Games. The Shuttle has a very cool Heatpipe System for the CPU, so the heat doesn't get stuck in the case.
I think there is one difference between my Shuttle and the one you want to buy which may be of importance - the SB75G2 has a case cover with mesh windows on the sides - so the FX gets fresh air directly. It's possible to buy the case cover alone (think it has the id PF16) - it fits on every XPC!

good luck, Aranell

thank you for the reply. the case has vents on both side. if you want i can take a picture of it and post it, so you can tell me if it looks like yours? im so very glad you responded to my post i needed to know anyone else has the card im looking for. but im going to wait until late may or early june to buy the card because the gf 6800 will be out which means the 5900 series will go down in price.

Aranell
05-07-04, 02:38 PM
np.... good idea to wait until the 6800s are in stores - then the 5900 will become cheaper for sure....

You don`t need to take a picture of you shuttle... I had a look at the shuttle homepage and your case also has openings in the cover... but only half the size... i don`t think this would be a problem... shuttle won`t plan a whole XPC for high end gamers (which yours surely is...) and not have a look at the temperature... so this will be allright for sure. Only take care which 5900 you buy... the only problem you may have is the power suply on some cards... Gainward cards for example are OK... ASUS not (...they fit in but you have to be very carefull when closing the case...).

Ok... have much fun with you XPC!

wU-sOLdiEr
05-08-04, 02:29 AM
i plan on going with the gainward 5900xt aka 5900 ultra 256bit card

PerfectCr
05-08-04, 09:21 PM
Here (http://forums.sudhian.com/categories.cfm?catid=43) is where everyone with a XPC goes to talk about it.