PDA

View Full Version : I killed it!

XanderF
05-06-04, 05:27 PM
*sigh*

Killed my card.

After all the volt-mods, watercooling, etc - you'd think one of those would kill it! But, alas, no.

Stupid BIOS flash did it. I backed up my current BIOS, and set the memory to relaxed timings (replaced all 8 instances of 07 03 0F 03 with 07 03 0F 43), and flashed it. Flash went fine, rebooted....nothing.

Computer won't even POST now. PLUS, it's a damn stupid nForce2 board, so even if I *tell* it to init PCI first with a PCI graphics card in it, it will not POST at ALL if there is an AGP card in the AGP slot (unless that card works fine). So, I can't even flash it back to the old BIOS.

Crappola.

$200 paperweight.

Ah, well, it was an awesome performer while it lasted. First card I've killed I actually miss (and this 64-bit, no-DVI-port, FX 5200is NOT helping any!).

R.I.P. my friend.

http://xanderf.dyndns.org:8080/images/pc/rip.jpg

GlowStick
05-06-04, 05:32 PM
Ah that sucks, you need to find a friend with a diffrent setup and try to flash your bios back, dont give up yet!

However it is a great excuse to buy a new video card : D

|JuiceZ|
05-06-04, 05:32 PM
Did you try resetting the mb bios? By default it will revert back to "init PCI graphics" first which should work.

XanderF
05-06-04, 05:47 PM
That's what I'm saying, on nForce2 boards "Init PCI first" has no effect - at least, it hasn't on my Abit AN7, an Albatron board, and an Epox 8rda. If there is an AGP card in the slot, it will use that card regardless of that setting.

With just a PCI card in, my PC boots up fine (and I can change that setting back and forth). With the 5900XT in the AGP slot, nothing I do will get it to POST.

GlowStick
05-06-04, 05:57 PM
That's what I'm saying, on nForce2 boards "Init PCI first" has no effect - at least, it hasn't on my Abit AN7, an Albatron board, and an Epox 8rda. If there is an AGP card in the slot, it will use that card regardless of that setting.

With just a PCI card in, my PC boots up fine (and I can change that setting back and forth). With the 5900XT in the AGP slot, nothing I do will get it to POST.
Do you dare to plug the card in after the pc starts to boot.

I have no idea what would happen, but did you know that you can hot swap pci cards if you have your system configured right!!!!

5150 Joker
05-06-04, 06:08 PM
Send me the card!

XanderF
05-06-04, 06:58 PM
Do you dare to plug the card in after the pc starts to boot.

I have no idea what would happen, but did you know that you can hot swap pci cards if you have your system configured right!!!!

I thought about that.

I'm actually still thinking about that.

I dunno, though, I've never heard of it working.

(And if you can hot-swap your PCI cards, you are very, VERY lucky. Regular PCI isn't designed for that, that's why servers who need that ability have variants of the PCI format for their slots.)

SmuvMoney
05-06-04, 07:06 PM
Man, I hate to see the accidental destruction of a good vid card. I guess this is the price modders and enthusiasts pay sometimes. If you can wait for the 6800s to make a showing (and can afford them), you may not mourn your loss as much. :)

ChrisRay
05-06-04, 07:21 PM
I wouldnt do that, Find a system that boots correctly and flash it from there, No sense taking a risk with your card and system, Find a computer that will boot properly from PC and flash from there, Go to a Local PC shop, They'd prolly let you do it.

SH64
05-06-04, 09:07 PM
Thta sukcs dude :(
will at least you killed it in the right time ..
think 6800/X800 :P

GlowStick
05-06-04, 09:14 PM
I thought about that.

I'm actually still thinking about that.

I dunno, though, I've never heard of it working.

(And if you can hot-swap your PCI cards, you are very, VERY lucky. Regular PCI isn't designed for that, that's why servers who need that ability have variants of the PCI format for their slots.)
Heh, well i have seen it done once before. I was at my friends house and he said he was going to install a modem. He poped open the case and just stuck it in, when i saw him doing it i said "what the hell are you doing", then winders XP just loaded the drivers and it worked heh.

Then when i was compiling a linux kernel and it had experimental support for "hot swap pci" or something like it, it was pritty cool heh.

But then i tried it on a work computer, Nforce 2 board and it was a no go, however the computer didnt crash or lockup or anything, just nothing happend.

XanderF
05-06-04, 09:27 PM
Thta sukcs dude :(
will at least you killed it in the right time ..
think 6800/X800 :P
LOL - yeah, if I could afford/justify one of those cards.

I may actually be waiting for the next die shrink before upgrading. What I'm looking for is a card that can break 10k 3dMark03 easily for under $200, and doesn't cook the inside of my computer when overclocked! (Word is that the 6-series cards are still small fusion plants for heat)

SH64
05-06-04, 09:48 PM
LOL - yeah, if I could afford/justify one of those cards.

I may actually be waiting for the next die shrink before upgrading. What I'm looking for is a card that can break 10k 3dMark03 easily for under $200, and doesn't cook the inside of my computer when overclocked! (Word is that the 6-series cards are still small fusion plants for heat)

hmmm .. i guess you need to wait for the GeForce 6600 or Radeon X600 then :p

XanderF
05-07-04, 02:54 AM
hmmm .. i guess you need to wait for the GeForce 6600 or Radeon X600 then :p

Or hope somebody doesn't like their shiney new card so much, and luck out on Newegg refurbs. :clap:

Edge
05-07-04, 03:06 AM
Another option is to boot off a floppy and have it run the bios flashing utility automatically (add it to autoexec.bat). Then it should automatically flash the card when you start up and boot from the floppy, no input (and therefor no visual readout) required. It's a long shot, but hey, it can't make things worse.

XanderF
05-07-04, 03:12 AM
Uh, yeah, except...as I noted in my first post....the system won't even POST. No booting attempt or anything. Just sits there. Never even gets around to activating the keyboard or reading from any drives or anything.

Edge
05-07-04, 05:14 AM
Oh...you mean it's TOTALLY dead when the card is in? It won't even TRY to boot up? Hmm...well that's not good...even if the video card is totally fubar it should at least try to continue with the boot process...well...there goes that idea I guess. Kinda odd that such an obvious setting in the Bios wouldn't function properly, did they even bother to test the "boot from PCI video first" option when they added it to the bios? Well, I guess when you play russian roulete you can't go double-or-nothing after you lose...