PDA

View Full Version : Funny post on NVIDIA usenet ( only read if you are in good mood )

Pages : [1] 2 3

evilchris
05-06-04, 09:56 PM
You think we have posts here that start flamewars? This one is shaping up nicely:

When reliability is the major issue, I would never, EVER get any ATI video
card. Can you imagine paying $500 for an ATI video card and not having
stable operating system because of flaws in the video card driver?

It is a given fact that none of the ATI video cards are as reliable and
crash-free as the NVIDIA video cards. Because of driver problems, ATI video
cards cause problems. Sometimes with some games, ATI video cards freeze the
operating system.
On the other hand, NVIDIA CARDS are rock solid with stability. I just read
the recent benchmarks. NVIDIA 6800 performs better in many games than ATI
X800. I would definitely get NVIDIA 6800 rather than paying $500 for an ATI
video card and having my operating system crash all the time.

ROFL. I almost fell out of my chair when I read that. Flamewar gold! :clap:

SH64
05-06-04, 09:58 PM
As a 9800XT/5950U user i can confirm what the guy said . its simply true ! (if we looked from the stability/reliablity view of course) .

evilchris
05-06-04, 09:59 PM
As a 9800XT/5950U user i can confirm what the guy said . its simply true ! (if we looked from the stability/reliablity view of course) .

lol really? I have quite a few game probs with my 9800P that are driver related but no OS probs...

SH64
05-06-04, 10:02 PM
lol really? I have quite a few game probs with my 9800P that are driver related but no OS probs...

Well not major OS issues , but yes i got alot of freezing / crashing issues with the Cats .
but never with nvidia drivers .

Woodelf
05-06-04, 10:06 PM
I only lock up when My core is clocked too high.
A new game comes out that really pushes my card, and I'll lock up. So I just go lower.

Blacklash
05-06-04, 10:15 PM
I have a 9800pro, for sometime now in rig #2. ATI's drivers have worked well for me. The stand outs were the 3.5's and 3.7's and 3.10's, for a combo of stability/performance. I haven't been upgrading them recently because I haven't had any game issues, and haven't felt like it.

My only complaints with ATI have been not as good OGL compared to Nvidia. That's it, it is still quite usable though.

Oh and ZERO lock ups, reboots and these other things folks were listing.

-=DVS=-
05-06-04, 10:16 PM
lies lies all LIES !!!!!!LIES I TELL YA !!!! :canadian:

Heh no seriously whoever wrote it is either from the past or real nut , there is no stability problem with catalyst there used to be ages ago with early drivers.....nvidia used to have share of problems also :screwy:
If you overcloak offcourse you will get lockups and sutch.....same happens with any hardware CPU is obvious example or have hardware incompatibility people used to have problem with early AGP 8x motherboard batch and Radeons 9700Pro however i didn't :D.

DivotMaker
05-06-04, 10:26 PM

As a 9800XT/5900U user I can categorically refute everything you and the usenet user posted. I have not had a lick of trouble with EITHER card.

It is threads and ridiculous comments like this that motivate me to spend less and less time here...

evilchris
05-06-04, 10:27 PM
As a 9800XT/5900U user I can categorically refute everything you and the usenet user posted. I have not had a lick of trouble with EITHER card.

It is threads and ridiculous comments like this that motivate me to spend less and less time here...

Read the disclaimer. Also, just because you have no problems doesn't mean SH64 doesn't.

Riptide
05-06-04, 10:41 PM
There *is* a stability issue with some driversets (Catalyst). Specifically, Catalyst 4.x causes my 9700Pro to LOCK HARD in CoD. This is a problem that effects only R300 cores with Cat 4.x. My machine was locking up all over the place in CoD the worst, but also UT2K4. When I rolled back to 3.10 the problem was *poof* gone.

See this thread:
http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?threadid=33738390

That said, I've got an XT on preorder. So don't accuse me of bashing ATI anyone. I know how sensitive everyone is right now. :)

Raptorman
05-06-04, 10:45 PM
Note: Quit using ATi drivers, use OmegaDrivers. LOL, that's what I always use, and have no problems.

Lfctony
05-06-04, 11:00 PM
Had the infinite loop error with my 9700 Pro and my P4P800 ( screen would turn off and the system required a cold reboot), I got myself a 9800P for stability issues and put that 9700P in my other rig. Hasn't even crashed once since.

I've also had the occasional reboot upon exciting a game(one game, Spellforce, to be honest). Other than that, when the PC is actually stable (heavy o/c as you can see from my sig) I get no crashes. :)

Riptide
05-06-04, 11:03 PM
Lfctony, I occasionally get infinite loop w/my 9700Pro. Strangely, in 2D only. Always complains about ati2mtag.sys.

SH64
05-06-04, 11:33 PM

Your post shows how ignorant you are :)

you may have no troubles with the games/drivers you play , but remember i & other users play diffrenet games & use differenet drivers version.
you see the problem is that each drivers released from ATI has diffrenet issues while nvidia release 1 driver each time which lives for a long time so everyone knows what issues it may have .

you may ask why then i dont use the up-to-date drivers? its simply as i said that each driver has problem with certain game . i play a lot of games at one time & that gives my a headache .

i can give you a whole list of the bugs/freezing/crashing issues i had with ATI drivers , but this isnt the thread for it .

i respect your comment but please dont run around & accuse people to be ridiculous just because they have diffrenet experiences or comments.

& Yeah .. theres a real life out there .. better than spending your precious time in here all the day .

ChrisRay
05-06-04, 11:36 PM
Man I have never had trouble with ATI or Nvidia drivers, maybe a few select game issues with NWN, And EQ, But we'r talken minor stuff.

IMO the only reason ATI drivers might suck is I think they have been really lazy with the design. Tho I am really looking forward to Cat 4.5 to see what they bring to the table. However I still doubt I'll ever see Digital Vibrance or Super Sampling.

its like. I've been on my knees begging ATI for these features, thats the only resentment from me towards ATI drivers, And it prevents me from buying anymore of their tech.

CaiNaM
05-06-04, 11:42 PM
well, you definately won't see DV - not possible on their current architecture. was a huge thread on it over at r3d.

ChrisRay
05-07-04, 12:30 AM
well, you definately won't see DV - not possible on their current architecture. was a huge thread on it over at r3d.

Yes I know, But they sure havent taken any efforts to implement it on there new hardware either.

That being said, Its simple, DV to me is very very important, Until ATI Snaps too and implements it, They wont get a dime from me. I hate to say it too because ATI has some wonderful products, But DV to me is an IQ enhancing features, And its not just 3d, 2d as well, Where I spend half my time.

XanderF
05-07-04, 02:49 AM
Hmmm...the nVidia image adjustment modes ARE kinda interesting.

Been an ATI user for so long, the ATI-programmed-in defense of "why would you want to oversaturate your colors" kept coming to mind every time somebody mentioned DV.

But, playing with it some now....it's actually kinda cool. It makes things look...a little crisper, somehow.

Also on that tab, the "Image sharpening". Hit that up for a couple notches and it cleaned up the image coming off of this crappy VGA port REAL nice. Still not DVI yet, but...well, best I'm going to get for a while, so it's a nice touch!

I'll be sure to add this feature to my list of bitches about ATI drivers! (Right up there with no stereoscopic 3d support, no aspect-ratio preserving LCD scaling, no super-sampling, crappy 16-bit color FSAA, poor support of older games, etc....)

Nephilim
05-07-04, 03:06 AM
I dunno about stability and won't comment on it, since the last ATI card I used was an Xpert@Play (back in 97-98-ish was it, man how time flies).

I will say though, that I can't do without my DV. Set it to about halfway between the start and the first tick mark and I'm good to go. :D

SmuvMoney
05-07-04, 12:40 PM
I find it ironic that I have had nV drivers twice bork an OS install - one beta Detonator driver and one nForce driver. That doesn't mean that I feel the urge to rant and rave about the "rampant instability" of nV's drivers. In one case, it was a beta Detonator driver that took out a 2K installation. I consider that more my fault for using beta drivers. The other case was the infamous Forceware/nForce 2.42 IDE fiasco, which nV's workaround on its web site did not work for me at all. After much exhaustive work and time, I finally had to give in and reinstall XP. I do blame nV for this one, but I don't foam at the mouth about it or consider nV drivers in general to be sucky because of it. At least I can claim that I have never had an ATi driver bork an OS. ;)

Seriously though, the original quote is tripe at best. I know of lots of bugs/issues in ATi's drivers from using them (UT gamma, MSN OGL transparency, etc). I'm sure you can find many in nV's drivers as well. However, solely blaming system instability on any driver - ATi, nV, Creative, VIA, et al. - and ranting about it like a lunatic without showing some sort of detailed investigation is irreponsible and trifling.

Lfctony
05-07-04, 12:43 PM
Lfctony, I occasionally get infinite loop w/my 9700Pro. Strangely, in 2D only. Always complains about ati2mtag.sys.

Same here, Windows only. Very strange.

5150 Joker
05-07-04, 01:37 PM
Well not major OS issues , but yes i got alot of freezing / crashing issues with the Cats .
but never with nvidia drivers .

I have yet to experience a single driver issue that has caused my system to freeze/crash and I've been using an ATi card since the 9700 pro came out nearly 2 years ago. Essentially the guy steeda quoted was full of ****. On the contrary though, the nVidia drivers on my laptop consistently give problems after the laptop comes out of standby mode - it causes the laptop to freeze and/or the resolution gets thrown out of whack.

CaiNaM
05-07-04, 01:39 PM
I have yet to experience a single driver issue that has caused my system to freeze/crash and I've been using an ATi card since the 9700 pro came out nearly 2 years ago. Essentially the guy steeda quoted was full of ****.

how is that? he's hardly the only one who's had issues. i haven't had an issue with forceware drivers either, but that doesn't mean no one else hasn't.

5150 Joker
05-07-04, 01:41 PM
how is that? he's hardly the only one who's had issues. i haven't had an issue with forceware drivers either, but that doesn't mean no one else hasn't.

The tendency for people to lay blame to video drivers for every little problem in their system comes to mind. If it was a driver error, then it would be consistent among most people, not limited to some. A lot of these people may have other conflicts in their system which could cause the OS to lock up.

Dazz
05-07-04, 02:28 PM
Stable my ass, i as plagued with nvidia's loop bug errors across mutiple platforms from VIA to AMD!