PDA

View Full Version : CD and DVD Drives Disappeared?

photophreak314
05-06-04, 11:55 PM
Hey,

I just booted my computer, and the CD and DVD Drives aren't recognized. The device manager says that the driver is loaded but Windows can't connect to the hardware. When booting up, they are detected. With my brothers hard-drive (I have removable hard-drive bays, so I have my own "computer", my parents do, and so do my brothers), with exactly the same drivers, OS, and everything, except for Games and applications, his detects them. They worked yesterday, and I haven't run anything since. Is this another episode of Microsoft screwing up?

Does anybody have any idea how to fix this WITHOUT reformatting or using system restore (which is disabled, and I haven't set any points since I last reformatted)?

Thanks in advance.

Dazz
05-07-04, 03:11 PM
Reinstall your boards IDE drives they may have become currpt and proventing detection.

Rampant CL
05-08-04, 10:25 AM
IDE drivers fux0red or it could even be the cable, though its more likely its the ide drivers.

photophreak314
05-08-04, 05:43 PM
I reinstalled all the drivers and they didn't work, but I then installed Gear Burning Software, and it worked. Apparantely I had uninstalled some shared files and that caused them to be screwed. Fixed now though.

Thanx for the replies

joltcola
05-10-04, 12:16 AM
With some of the burning software out there, when you uninstall it or have two installed at the same time they screw up a couple registry settings, which will cause a problem like that. It happend to my friend when he uninstalled nero ( burning software ). It changed some value or added a value. I had to correct that, and I was able to access the drives again.

There was an error code in some properties info that I looked up in Microsoft's Knoledge Base. I can't remember the code, but its a common problem.

-- jolt