PDA

View Full Version : A Direct Comparison of OpenGL vs DirectX performance in Far Cry on older hardware

photophreak314
05-07-04, 01:12 AM
If something like this has been posted before, oops :angel2:

I finally decided to try the OpenGL mode in FarCry. Holy snot!!

AthlonXP 1800+ @ 1725mhz
Geforce4 Ti4600 @ 310/680 (Forceware 56.72)
SBLive!
Asus A7V266-C (Hyperion 4.51)
512 MB DDR 266

As you can see, this is an older system, far below what a high end machine is.
Using the following settings:

1024X768
Texture Quality: High
Filter Quality: Trilinear
Anistropic: 1
Particle Count: Medium
Special Effects: Medium
Environment: High
Shadow Quality: High
Water Quality: Ultra High
Lighting Quality: High

As you can see, my specs meet the Medium recommended settings, but I have been able to play through most of the game(haven't finished yet) using DX at these settings recommended for higher machines.

With BenchEm'All's built in benchmark

OpenGL Average FPS = 31.33
Direct3D9 Average FPS = 23.07

As you can see that is a substantial difference. There is minute visual quality difference, as the OpenGL render is still beta. For instance, some of the shadows through the trees remain "stuck" on the gun for a few seconds, and the really far away water "shifts" reflections once, but other than that they are identical. I don't think these are really bad visual comprimises for 8+fps gain. If anyone has seen SERIOUS visual compromises, do tell!

As well, the level loading times are nearly TWICE as fast with OpenGL

OGL = 47sec (fort)
DX = 79sec (fort)

Another interesting note is that with OpenGL the page file was never accessed, but with DX it was accessed every 20-30 secs, causing a slowdown.

Anyways, I just did this because I had seen all the discussion of R420 beats NV40 in DX, but NV40 beats R420 in OpenGL, and I decided that because not all of us will be able to upgrade to these new cards, it would be useful to see how a medium spec system runs a top of the line game.

Moderators, if you feel this post would be more relevant in the game section, feel free to move it. I just figured that all the discussion is currently in this forum and I'll get the most responses about others peoples experiments with OpenGL vs DX on nVidia/Ati hardware.

Post your experiences using FarCry and the different render options here!!

Also, if any one knows of any other timedemos available for this game, info would be much appreciated(something indoors perhaps?)

I'll try and post some screens in the next while showing the differences

evilchris
05-07-04, 01:17 AM
Interesting. I always love a game that has an OGL mode. It blows D3D away. Always runs perfect. It's usually the D3D games that have ****loads of problems.

damita
05-07-04, 01:24 AM
Interesting. I always love a game that has an OGL mode. It blows D3D away. Always runs perfect. It's usually the D3D games that have ****loads of problems.

that's a bit of an exaggeration, but I wish more games would be opengl (for reasons of linux support)

fivefeet8
05-07-04, 01:25 AM
Currently, the OGL mode doesn't use any PS2 level effects. So you'll essentially be running the game in Ps1.1 - 1.4 class shaders only. Maybe once Far Cry actually has a GLSL mode, we can see some. ;)

-=DVS=-
05-07-04, 01:31 AM
amm 6800 is advertised as PS3 card for FarCry , OpenGl is nowhere near at that level , you woun't see any cool thing untill OpenGl 2.0 probably , and didn't FarCray dev said they droped OpenGl support of farcray (mag) means no bug fixes or eyecandy improvements.

Edge
05-07-04, 03:11 AM
Hmm, would be funny to see reviewers benchmark Farcry in OpenGL mode rather than D3D mode, would certainly turn some of those 6800/x800 comparisions around :D

But it does sound like the visual quality is quite a bit worse on OGL mode, particularly on newer cards which normally would use PS2.0 effects (the PS1.1 stuff sounds fairly complete, though). They simply haven't spent as much time working on the effects in OpenGL, however I would like to see them add a bit more support for it. Still, on my TI4200 I'll probably end up running the game in OpenGL mode, unless there are some graphic artifacts that REALLY bug me.

Nutty
05-07-04, 03:16 AM
Photophreak, can you post some screenshots in GL and DX mode, so we can compare what they look like. Does it look as good in GL mode ?

Nephilim
05-07-04, 03:40 AM
Hmm...well I gave OpenGL a go and loaded up the first level. Much to my surprise it did seem to load a bit faster, however when I got into the game all I have was a black screen with my health meters/compass HUD. I know the game was running, I could move my mouse around and watch the compass spin playfully around.

Odd, I'll have to play with it some more and see what's going on.

saturnotaku
05-07-04, 07:02 AM
OpenGL won't run at all for me. The game itself loads (brings me to the menus and so forth) but when I load a save game, the program quits outright bringing me back to the desktop.

I wish more games would give us a choice between DX and OGL. The original UT is the only game that ever did it right once modders/third parties released proper OGL renderers.

WarheadMM
05-07-04, 07:09 AM
i can run it in Opengl mode and it runs perfectly.

Toaster
05-07-04, 07:23 AM
amm 6800 is advertised as PS3 card for FarCry , OpenGl is nowhere near at that level , you woun't see any cool thing untill OpenGl 2.0 probably , and didn't FarCray dev said they droped OpenGl support of farcray (mag) means no bug fixes or eyecandy improvements.

GLSL is already supported in the current ogl drivers. It can also already handle SM3.0 (or even go beyond that if a card supports it)

CryTech never bothered to update their ogl renderer, they kinda ditched it in favour of DX.

spuk0
05-07-04, 09:48 AM
Does the OpenGL mode work with the "FX" series?
It seems all I read it only worked on the GF4 series.

If it did work on FX series I think it had to be a combination of some sort of driver and/or before patch 1.1?

I tried the suggestions at the FarCry forum and it just crashes for me but I didn't try changing the driver.

Zeta
05-07-04, 10:25 AM
I have a fx 5700 U and was running OGL mode fine. It doesnt look as nice but it sure does run faster.

zoomy942
05-07-04, 11:13 AM
i tried it in far cry. it didnt work quite right, but i have newer drivers so i'll give it anither go. also, i tried openGL in UT2004 and it doesnt work right :(