PDA

View Full Version : Calling All Experts, Calling All Experts!

smiddyman
05-07-04, 06:21 AM
I have a GeForce FX 5800, my pride and joy, but a week ago while playng a game of Renegade my pc stopped displaying the images and instead came up with a green screen covered in capital Ns (at least that's what I remember).

I reset my computer 3 times, each time it would start up, display the specifications of my card and then go to that green screen, I left it on for 5 minutes like that and it did nothing, made no noise, or show any indication it was doing anything.

The fourth time I reset it did show me my cards specs, but no longer showed the green screen.

Thinking something other than my graphics card was bust (because it was still giving me a basic image) I left my pc alone for a while asking friends for any advice, they had none.

It was only a few days ago while builing another computer and placing the 5800 in that, that I realsied that something must be wrong with it, because the same thing was happening in that brand new PC. It wont even go into BIOS when the card is in.

My suspicsions were confirmed when I place my old GeForce 2 card first in one PC, then in the other, which works.

Obviously that meant it was the 5800, and now I'm seeking what infomation there is on how to remendy the problem, because I really want to get back the great graphics I was getting from it.

Obviously I'm not sure, but I don't think it's "burnt out" because it's still showing some writing on screen, of course I could be wrong and there's something I'm missing.

If you would like to help and need more info then please ask and I will find out all I can, but any help is appreciated, even if it's it telling me that I need to go buy a 6800!

damita
05-07-04, 06:36 AM
I'm NOT an expert but FWIW: sounds like heat-death. it will get into bios and the outputs are fine (hence basic image) but the GPU is fried.

did you overclock or have a poorly ventilated case?

Edge
05-07-04, 07:17 AM
Yeah...I'm guessing the last 7 words in your post are probably going to be the best solution to your problem. Usually when a videocard randomly goes out like that, there's not much you can do to remedy it. At best, you might be able to call tech support on the card (who's the manufacturer? I know BFG has some decent customer support) and they might replace it. Hell, they might even give you a better card since 5800s are no longer distributed.

smiddyman
05-07-04, 07:41 AM
My case is very well ventilated, but I did notice when I put it in the other computer that it was very warm to the touch, even after a minute or so, so that may be what's wrong.

Keep those theories coming. Thanks.

Greg
05-07-04, 09:51 AM
Your card sounds like it has died. I have lost several cards over the years and they had nothing to do with heat or overclocking. I recall my work Asus Geforce2GTS only lastest 1 year. Just take it back to where you bought it from. Hope you're still under warranty.

GlowStick
05-07-04, 10:30 AM
Sounds like your card died, not much you can do.

Try to call your manufacuter, or the store if they refuse to help you may be sol.