PDA

View Full Version : Why no official 6800 Preorders now?

skoprowski
05-07-04, 01:58 PM
Does anyone find it strange that no companies are accepting official preorders for the 6800 series cards? I thought for sure they would to compete with ATI's official preorders. I was expecting a BFG preorder with Best Buy at least. You have to wonder if the 6800 is delayed more than you think and the GT and Super Ultra version was something they threw in at the last minute. Seeing a X800 on the shelf and no 6800 is going to be real tempting next week. I bet a lot others will feel the same way too.

Scott

Dazz
05-07-04, 02:42 PM
It seems the X800Pro is flying off the shelf at the moment as stocks are sucked up quickly :o

NvViolator
05-07-04, 03:17 PM
Here in the uk cards are showing up today for pre order here
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/
and gainward 6800u golden samples here
http://www.komplett.co.uk/k/kl.asp?bn=10413 £605 smackers for this baby is a crazy price.

have'nt ordered one yet myself, waiting so long from launch has kind of took the edge off my impulse to just buy the first one i can get my hands on.
So ive upped me core to 560 on me 5900u and when it frys ill get a new card then............... :clap:

Lfctony
05-07-04, 03:22 PM
Upped my 9800 Pro to 400/730. Wouldn't take that before, but I've made a modification to my case. I installed 2 80mm fans blowing right at my AGP card. I think I can wait a month for the new cards to arrive. Decided not to preorder from the UK. :)

NvViolator
05-07-04, 03:26 PM
Hi lfctony,

Im coming to cyprus in 2 weeks on holiday. want me to pick u one up if there available here before i come........................?

Dazz
05-07-04, 03:30 PM
Here in the uk cards are showing up today for pre order here
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/
and gainward 6800u golden samples here
http://www.komplett.co.uk/k/kl.asp?bn=10413 £605 smackers for this baby is a crazy price.

have'nt ordered one yet myself, waiting so long from launch has kind of took the edge off my impulse to just buy the first one i can get my hands on.
So ive upped me core to 560 on me 5900u and when it frys ill get a new card then............... :clap:
Yeah only komplett seem to buy Gainwards coolFX GPU's and they are expensive due to the custom waterblock and deicated water cooling system.

schuey74
05-07-04, 03:33 PM
It seems the X800Pro is flying off the shelf at the moment as stocks are sucked up quickly :o
Do you mean the shelves at ATI because I haven't seen place online or at retail that actually have the cards in stock. Obviously I called the local BBs and Comp USAs but the tards there never even heard of the X800....."Uhhh you must mean the 9800 sir".....goodbye mr. moron. I've visited the local BB everyday since Wednesday to see if they actually have something show up on the shelves.....nada. I'll pay $400 today (or tomorrow, or the day after tomorrow, etc...), but I'm not going to prebook it at a higher price and receive it at relatively the same time! :bash:

Lfctony
05-07-04, 03:37 PM
Hi lfctony,

Im coming to cyprus in 2 weeks on holiday. want me to pick u one up if there available here before i come........................?

Thanks, but I prefer the warranty that comes with the card if I buy it from Cyprus. Can't be bothered to send it back if it dies! Thanks anyway. I hope you have a good time here. :)

NvViolator
05-07-04, 03:38 PM
Re:
Yeah only komplett seem to buy Gainwards coolFX GPU's and they are expensive due to the custom waterblock and deicated water cooling system

Ive water cooled my gpu and put huge copper heatsinks on my 5900u and it cost me about £25 for the gpu block and the ram sinks are the original gpu block cut up, i cant understand anyone spending £605 for a coolfx card...

Dazz
05-07-04, 03:55 PM
Do you mean the shelves at ATI because I haven't seen place online or at retail that actually have the cards in stock. Obviously I called the local BBs and Comp USAs but the tards there never even heard of the X800....."Uhhh you must mean the 9800 sir".....goodbye mr. moron. I've visited the local BB everyday since Wednesday to see if they actually have something show up on the shelves.....nada. I'll pay $400 today (or tomorrow, or the day after tomorrow, etc...), but I'm not going to prebook it at a higher price and receive it at relatively the same time! :bash:
You won't really find them in retail yet but you will online although only 3 places sell them at the moment but are currently sold out of the X800Pro but are due more in a few days. Retail are always slow.

Casper
05-07-04, 04:00 PM
You can preorder them here in Sweden though it seems to take longer than for those X800 PRO at least :(

Smokey
05-07-04, 04:04 PM
Re:
Yeah only komplett seem to buy Gainwards coolFX GPU's and they are expensive due to the custom waterblock and deicated water cooling system

Ive water cooled my gpu and put huge copper heatsinks on my 5900u and it cost me about £25 for the gpu block and the ram sinks are the original gpu block cut up, i cant understand anyone spending £605 for a coolfx card...

You have to also take into account labour costs, not just the cost of materials ;)

Looking at the prices, they seem lower than expected, which is always a bonus.

skoprowski
05-07-04, 04:07 PM
FYI- Best Buy is shipping the X800Pros right now. They may be on shelves by Sunday. A poster on Anandtech's forum just posted his BB shipping confirmation e-mail. I wish Nvidia would hurry up.

schuey74
05-07-04, 04:12 PM
FYI- Best Buy is shipping the X800Pros right now. They may be on shelves by Sunday. A poster on Anandtech's forum just posted his BB shipping confirmation e-mail. I wish Nvidia would hurry up.
That's the kind of info I was looking for! So it looks like we'll be able to get one next week for $400. :clap:
And Dazz.....I know. I was just bored and venting a little frustration because of my anticipation. :)