PDA

View Full Version : Intel gives up on the Mhz race

Cota
05-07-04, 05:35 PM
From Reuters

"The chips to be canceled include Intel's fourth-generation Pentium 4 chip, code-named Tejas, which was to be sold next year. Also, a new Xeon processor for low-end computer servers, code-named Jayhawk and believed to be based on a similar architecture to Tejas, is also to be canceled, the person said. "

http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=technologyNews&storyID=5069106

Riptide
05-08-04, 09:53 AM
AMD definitely has the upper hand right now from the looks of it. I hope they capitalize as much as possible. :)

marqmajere
05-08-04, 11:51 AM
That sucks. Now AMD doesn't have to drop prices until next year. :(

Cota
05-08-04, 04:07 PM
On the contrary, Intel will be forced to lower their prices, which mean AMD will have to do it too.

Casper
05-12-04, 04:13 AM
It´s Intel that is overpriced so this is only a good thing.

DaveW
05-14-04, 09:39 PM
I think Intel realise that pure mhz isn't selling anymore. Not to mention the cost and effort involved in pushing the P4 core an extra 10% that result a much greater cost for the consumer. Most people wont spend 600 bucks on a 3.4 ghz P4, when they can get a 3.2 ghz P4 for half the price. It sounds like Intel are planning on worrying less about mhz and more about what their chips do with those mhz. This is probably a good thing for Intel.

beckman
05-15-04, 06:28 PM
I don´t know if it´s really cheaper producing a CPU that do more instructions / clockcycle than just increase the clocks. As you see those Bartons don´t run that much cooler really but maybe that´s just because they don´t use that extra "heatsink" Intel uses on their Northwoods...

It´s just that that AMD has had to sell their CPU for less really than they cost to produce while Intel has been able to live on it´s name a lot more.

But it sure seems like they went into a wall somewhere. Wonder what it will mean? Even longer for the Prescott to arrive? But maybe this is on the long term. I am still hearing stuff of 4 Ghz P 4 Intel will release in 2005??