PDA

View Full Version : Ruby running of NV3x cards...

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Nv40
05-07-04, 06:33 PM
What do you think ? :)

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=5676&stc=1

Anyway the reason why the NV3x cards have Depth Of Field is they are using the actual shaders. They don't need the modified ones. In some of the shaders that I modified for the R300 I broke the depth of field cacluations (hey, every instruction counts and getting rid of DOF calcs reduces required instructions). Also the shader that was used to do the final depth of field blurring was also too big, so I just made it do nothing.

is running extremely slow.. as expected.. but it runs with all the details and effects [ON] enable ..thanks to PS2.0+ on Nvidia cards :) .it looks that there is problem with R3xx hardware to run the demo with all the effects enable. Could this be just the first example of the diferences between PS2.0 and higher shader versions ? :D .

read here..
http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12141&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0&sid=b4f7cb18ee067184c98eb6877b7e05c1

ChrisRay
05-07-04, 06:44 PM
We alrdy knew The NV30 series could do more with Pixel Shaders than the r300 series, So its no surprise to see it running higher instruction shaders albeit slowly. I wanna try forcing partial precision on this Demo.

Or At least Lowering the res ;p

5150 Joker
05-07-04, 06:48 PM
Heh would you even qualify 3 fps as running? :P

ChrisRay
05-07-04, 06:49 PM

yes, because lowering the resolution would Increase frame rates, Just being able to do it means that you can make sacrafices and still retain full effects.

Nv40
05-07-04, 06:50 PM

probably the guy is running with 8x AA .. :angel2: :)

ChrisRay
05-07-04, 06:50 PM
Supposively you can tweak the demo to remove AA, ect.

walkndude
05-07-04, 06:57 PM
The demo uses 3dc and even then hogs 249-259mb(cant remember exactly) of texture space... The memory requirements must be huge without it.

jAkUp
05-07-04, 06:57 PM
ruby runs at 30fps on my 9800 pro... but its missing ruby..lol shes invisible

Nv40
05-07-04, 07:01 PM
yes, because lowering the resolution would Increase frame rates, Just being able to do it means that you can make sacrafices and still retain full effects.

Indeed...
and its only just 1 example ..made by ATi..:) that shows that is possible to get Higher quality (more advanced effects) under Higher version of PS ++ ,than PS2.0 alone. with PS3.0 there are even much more things that can be done that PS2.0 or even PS2.0++ can't do. Nalu and all other Nvidia demos will not run without PS3.0. the problem with NV3x was its speed..not its features. the Nv40 speed is there to finally use more advanced effects. So its not impossible to see diferences in graphics. there is always workarounds to make something "work" in older hardware.. but it depends if the Developers wants to deal with extra work ,something that can be -easily- done with newer generation hardware. thats why i go all the way to SM3.0 ,dont want to see any surprises in my games. :)

reever2
05-07-04, 07:12 PM
and it only just 1 example that shows that is possible to get Higher quality (more advanced effects) under Higher version of PS ++ ,than PS2.0 alone.

Depth of field can be done without PS2.0++, different implenetations of it may have different requirements

Nv40
05-07-04, 07:19 PM
Depth of field can be done without PS2.0++, different implenetations of it may have different requirements

absolutely..
But more efficient implementations done in newer shader model hardware version will not run in older generation hardware. Thats why R3xx users cant run the demo with all the Effects On. Probably very soon someone will come with a solution ,but with more advanced effects in demos or games things will be more difficult to workaround.

ChrisRay
05-07-04, 07:25 PM
Anyway, Something interesting I noticed about the Demo, It loops the Demo (Obviously) The first playback it skips massive frames and the frame rate is like 1-3

The Second, 3rd 4th and any loop after that, 5-9 FPS (I think this has something to do with the Memory) But its much more vieable @ 5-9 FPS than 1-3 FPS ;p)

Anyway.

Some shots I took in 4x AA @ 640x480

reever2
05-07-04, 07:30 PM
absolutely..
But more efficient implementations done in newer shader model hardware version will not run in older generation hardware. Thats why R3xx users cant run the demo with all the Effects On.

I thought "efficient" meant with *less* than normal, not more. How else do you think Ati would stop users from running this demo on R300 hardware, other than to beef up instruction counts?

ChrisRay
05-07-04, 07:32 PM
I thought "efficient" meant with *less* than normal, not more. How else do you think Ati would stop users from running this demo on R300 hardware, other than to beef up instruction counts?

Do you really think ATI put more instructions on the demo just to keep r300 users from running it?

there are more effective ways at disabling other cards from running it.

GlowStick
05-07-04, 07:35 PM
Anyway, Something interesting I noticed about the Demo, It loops the Demo (Obviously) The first playback it skips massive frames and the frame rate is like 1-3

The Second, 3rd 4th and any loop after that, 5-9 FPS (I think this has something to do with the Memory) But its much more vieable @ 5-9 FPS than 1-3 FPS ;p)

Anyway.

Some shots I took in 4x AA @ 640x480
Yep, basicly thats a problem with memroy management, its a memory hog, people with 1gig or more dont have as bad as a problem as i do with 512mb, i get huge studder interupts because of windows dumping its memory to the hdd heh.

Nv40
05-07-04, 07:38 PM

efficient =able to function without waste: able to function well or achieve a desired result in an organized and capable way.

in Programming efficiency not only means better performance ,but the oportunity to do more things easier. greater efficiency in any place means better productivity ,better results. in games it can mean better graphics. And the Nv40 finally have the power to run anything possible in Dx9 in full precision . :)

ChrisRay
05-07-04, 07:39 PM
Yep, basicly thats a problem with memroy management, its a memory hog, people with 1gig or more dont have as bad as a problem as i do with 512mb, i get huge studder interupts because of windows dumping its memory to the hdd heh.

I'm not so sure, The Nv35 appears to be clock throttling incorrectly in this demo, Even during the second Loop it clock throttles lower, But during the First Loop. It drops its clocks like 6 times.

Look At my Riva Tuner example from running it.

PoorGuy
05-07-04, 07:40 PM
There's nothing in the R420 a NV3X can't do! nVidia technology rocks!

:kill: :)

Jarred
05-07-04, 07:40 PM
wow this is quite suprising...

LOL, change the name of the exe to farcry and see if it runs faster. :)

ChrisRay
05-07-04, 07:42 PM
Btw guys I think she wants me ;)

Jarred
05-07-04, 07:44 PM

Dude! your babies will have subpar pixle instructions on their shaders!

ChrisRay
05-07-04, 07:45 PM
Dude! your babies will have subpar pixle instructions on their shaders!

Who said we all have sex for "practical" results ;)

pat777
05-07-04, 07:52 PM
Ruby on NV3x looks great but the environment looks blurry. Perhaps someone can enhance the demo with the NV4x's Shader model 3.0. :)

Jarred
05-07-04, 07:52 PM
Who said we all have sex for "practical" results ;)

maybe she's anatomically correct like dawn was... :)

reever2
05-07-04, 08:22 PM

It looks like she got punched in the eye

Ruby on NV3x looks great but the environment looks blurry

That's what depth of field does