PDA

View Full Version : URGENT: Problems sharing Dial-Up connection

CaptNKILL
05-07-04, 11:15 PM
Ok..... i dont know all the exact details, but my girlfriend has a Windows 98 computer and her brother has a Silicon Graphics system running Unix. Now, I havent had a chance to look at the setup myself, im getting this information over ICQ right now.

Her computer connects to the internet through a dial up connection, his computer is connected to it via the phone port on the modem. Normally, she dials up and then the Unix machine can get on the internet (through the "network") and all is well.

Anyone have any idea why this would intermittenly stop working? She has to get some important files from his computer (which has no floppy drive) to her computer. Usually she emails it from her brothers to her email, then reads it on her computer. But his computer isnt seeing the connection for some reason. She is dialed up and her internet is working fine, but the other computer cant get connected. Its been like this for days and its really irritating the hell out of both of us.

Her dad knows a LOT about this stuff, he set it up... but idk why its not working any more...

Any ideas are MUCH APPRECIATED!!!!!!!

EDIT: Also, any alternative ways to get the files from his computer to hers would be GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks guys

Clay
05-07-04, 11:32 PM
Ok..... i dont know all the exact details, but my girlfriend has a Windows 98 computer and her brother has a Silicon Graphics system running Unix. Now, I havent had a chance to look at the setup myself, im getting this information over ICQ right now.

Her computer connects to the internet through a dial up connection, his computer is connected to it via the phone port on the modem. Normally, she dials up and then the Unix machine can get on the internet (through the "network") and all is well.

Anyone have any idea why this would intermittenly stop working? She has to get some important files from his computer (which has no floppy drive) to her computer. Usually she emails it from her brothers to her email, then reads it on her computer. But his computer isnt seeing the connection for some reason. She is dialed up and her internet is working fine, but the other computer cant get connected. Its been like this for days and its really irritating the hell out of both of us.

Her dad knows a LOT about this stuff, he set it up... but idk why its not working any more...

Any ideas are MUCH APPRECIATED!!!!!!!

EDIT: Also, any alternative ways to get the files from his computer to hers would be GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks guys
I'm pretty clueless about SGI machines, they don't happen to have USB support do they? USB key fob and a "sneaker net" to the rescue perhaps? :) If your g/f doesn't have USB on her PC you could always snag a $20 USB PCI card. Or you could possibly connect the two machines with a null modem cable. Just some WAGs I know, just trying to help.

CaptNKILL
05-07-04, 11:38 PM
I'm pretty clueless about SGI machines, they don't happen to have USB support do they? USB key fob and a "sneaker net" to the rescue perhaps? :) If your g/f doesn't have USB on her PC you could always snag a $20 USB PCI card. Or you could possibly connect the two machines with a null modem cable. Just some WAGs I know, just trying to help.
Heres the tech specs of the SGI O2 he has.... it might not be identical, but its damn close to this one.

http://www.sgi.com/products/remarketed/o2/techspecs.html

Im pretty sure she has USB, but i dont think the O2 does.... gerr

Clay
05-07-04, 11:42 PM
Heres the tech specs of the SGI O2 he has.... it might not be identical, but its damn close to this one.

http://www.sgi.com/products/remarketed/o2/techspecs.html

Im pretty sure she has USB, but i dont think the O2 does.... gerr
The O2 does appear to have PCI so you could likely get a USB PCI card for it...then you'd be good to go.

CaptNKILL
05-07-04, 11:52 PM
The O2 does appear to have PCI so you could likely get a USB PCI card for it...then you'd be good to go.
idk... sort of need a quick fix though.... itd take a while to get a USB card, plus idk if her dad would let us rip it apart.. haha :p