PDA

View Full Version : Forceware 56.72 anomaly

J_Mnemonic
05-08-04, 08:19 AM
I've installed forceware 56.72, and i'm using Pixelview Geforce4 Ti4200 with AGP 8X. I've heard many people said that with this driver, they experience an increase in 3dmark score. Eventhough i haven't tried 3dMark2001, on 3dmark03, there is 25 points decrease.
And when i play NBA Live 2004, with maximum graphics detail settings, it runs slower compared to previous drivers. I've noticed there is a difference in texture filtering. When i set the texture filter to Trilinear, the games runs smooth as with previous driver, but when i set it to Anisotropic, there is decrease in the frame rate. Is this drivers improves image quality for certain settings, so the frame rate becomes smaller for the same settings, with my graphics card
Since i install that driver, there is some little problem, though is not very serious, but it's annoying.
Every time i right click on a video file with the format .avi, .mpeg, .wmv, .mpe (this doesn't happen with .asf, .mov), the monitor shows black screen for a while before the context menu opens.
I don't have this problem with the previous forceware drivers.
I've tried to reinstall, trace the problem, i can't found it, for a while i installed the driver, and that "black screen" problem doesn't happen, but when i restart my system, it's happen again. And the next time i reinstall the 56.72, the "black screen" problem does happen after i finish installing it.

What have caused this ?

saturnotaku
05-08-04, 08:24 AM
Eventhough i haven't tried 3dMark2001, on 3dmark03, there is 25 points decrease.

That's well within a margin of error. Nothing to be concerned about at all.

And when i play NBA Live 2004, with maximum graphics detail settings, it runs slower compared to previous drivers. I've noticed there is a difference in texture filtering. When i set the texture filter to Trilinear, the games runs smooth as with previous driver, but when i set it to Anisotropic, there is decrease in the frame rate. Is this drivers improves image quality for certain settings, so the frame rate becomes smaller for the same settings, with my graphics card

Anisotropic flitering will always give better image quality than basic trilinear, but it will come at the cost of performance. The performance hit on the NV25-28 is especially high because when anisotropic filtering is enabled for Direct3D applications, it appears that one of the multitexturing units gets disabled. To see for yourself, enable any degree of anisotropic filtering in the NVIDIA control panel and then run the fill rate tests in 3DMark 2001SE. You'll should see that the scores remain exactly the same for single and multi-texturing. This is a problem that hasn't, nor ever will be, resolved through drivers.

You might want to consider rolling back to the 45.23 or 53.03 drivers as those appear to be the best suited for the GF4 Ti.

Lfctony
05-08-04, 08:35 AM
I've found that the 44.03 drivers work the best with any Nvidia pre-DX9 card in my experience as a technician. The 45.23 drivers have the OpenGL fog problem, and any 5x.xx drivers and above are built with DX9 cards in mind.