PDA

View Full Version : Watercooling my SFF

ricercar
05-08-04, 07:42 PM
I put a $80 USD Globalwin Silent Stream watercoolling kit on my Shuttle SN41G2 with a Barton 3000+.
http://www.globalwinusa.com/products/water/silent.html

It's quiet, cools sufficiently, and easy-to-install.

The pump is quieter than either my WD 1200JB hard drive, or XFX 5700U video card (which are pretty quiet). I let the pump on overnight to bleed without the computer on; in the morning my wife was working at the desk when I got up. I showed her the pump was on and she told me she was not aware any equipment was running!

The CPU is 10°C cooler when comparing similar air-cooled configurations (cover off, cover on, various fan arrangements, etc). Under 100% SETI load, the CPU is 44°C, down from 54-58°C. Played some UT2004 with SETI in the background and the CPU never got over 44°C.

After installing the "quick" install, I decided to try the Pro Install with the radiator outside the SFF. Took me about an hour to drain, thread the tubes through the provided PCI backplate cover, refill, and bleed the air from the system.

Thumbs up.

GlowStick
05-08-04, 08:10 PM
wow that looks pritty cool!, i must ask, for the interal mode, where did you put the radiator?

ricercar
05-08-04, 09:09 PM
I never really made it permanent in quick mode, but during quick mode testing the radiator was in the center of the SFF rear panel, where the heatpipe radiator is located on the stock Shuttle ICE cooler.

Side view (F= fan, R= radiator, : = spacers)

[____FR]
Quick

[_____F]:R
Pro

I'm experimenting now with a second 'pull' fan on the outside of the radiator. It definitely does not hurt, but i'm not certain it helps.

[_____F]:RF
Pro

jAkUp
05-08-04, 11:26 PM
Upload some pics!! :)

Tuork
05-09-04, 02:10 PM
Care to explain how that dandy thingamagig works?

I'm really sick from the amount of noise my pooter is making, thus wanting to upgrade heatsink+fan+PSU.

Is that the only part you need to buy, or is there something else, etc..?

ricercar
05-09-04, 02:34 PM
The Globalwin Silent Stream is 100% complete, down to screws and a syringe for refilling. Yet eventually you'll need distilled water, so you might as well have some on hand if you want to top it off right away.

Pics to come.