PDA

View Full Version : WPA and mac address filtering

zoomy942
05-09-04, 11:25 PM
in my router, i have a hardware firewall, and i have wireless networking built into it. well, i have the mac address filter on with just mine on there. why would i need WPA passwords? if my mac is the only one allowed, who cares about a password?

retsam
05-10-04, 04:26 AM
in my router, i have a hardware firewall, and i have wireless networking built into it. well, i have the mac address filter on with just mine on there. why would i need WPA passwords? if my mac is the only one allowed, who cares about a password?

well one, the passwords are there so someone cant just jump onto your network and use it knowingly and unknowfully.... second wpa is an encryption method so your next door neighbor cant sit in his house and grab your credit card or other private information.... the mac filtering is there so you can build a list of clients that are allowed to use that network based on there mac address.....

hope this helps

retsam

retsam
05-10-04, 04:26 AM
double post during server crash

retsam

zoomy942
05-10-04, 05:55 AM
thanks for the reply! my thing is that, wouldnt the mac address filtering prevent anyone from getting on my network anyway?

retsam
05-10-04, 08:30 PM
ouch now i see what your saying ....hmmm interesting is you machine connected via a cable .......... or wireless ...

GlowStick
05-10-04, 08:54 PM
thanks for the reply! my thing is that, wouldnt the mac address filtering prevent anyone from getting on my network anyway?
Yes, but a clever person could potentually read all the data your computer sends out. Now that pritty much is very unlikely, but its just a just.

Also, MAC addresses can be faked, but the good thing is it would be pritty much hit and miss unless they found your mac addres..

But myself, i would NEVER leave my wireless netowrk open, and i dont. Just make your HEX key something simple to rember.

retsam
05-10-04, 10:16 PM
HEX key something simple to rember. ummm please dont do that make it a small sentace that you will remember like " ilovemymom" or something like that but doint make it "passwrod" or "god"

glowstick this is wpa not wep these are regular passwords not hex

zoomy942
05-11-04, 06:00 AM
ouch now i see what your saying ....hmmm interesting is you machine connected via a cable .......... or wireless ...

it is wireless connection. i am just a "less is more person", so anything redundant bugs me. but i guess i'll not leave my network open.