PDA

View Full Version : Creative GeForce4 Ti 4400 stability with KT7-RAID

Chicane-UK
10-14-02, 02:05 PM
Hi!

New member here.. could possibly be spending a bit of time around here depending on how you guys answer this :)

Have recently been offered a Creative GeForce 4 Ti4400 for a very tempting price.. been a Radeon user for the past 2 years, but ready to give Nvidia a chance for a while.

All I want to know is.. does anyone here have the same motherboard / video card combo that I am asking about? My full spec is :

Abit KT7-RAID
AMD Thunderbird 1.2GHz
384MB PC133/CAS2 Infineon RAM
SBLive! + LiveDrive II
RealTek 8139

As I mentioned.. I am currently a Radeon user - the system has been very reliable for me.. if getting this Ti4400 is going to give me serious stability problems, I will give it a wide berth until I can afford to upgrade the rest of the box (yea, I know my system is really outta date..).

So should that motherboard + video card behave? Thats all I wanna know :)

Cheers...

thcdru2k
10-14-02, 02:19 PM
i wouldn't see why not, and with a ti4400 the score will jump past 10000 :)

Chicane-UK
10-14-02, 02:22 PM
Thanks for the answer :)

I expect the card to be pretty heavily bottlenecked by the CPU / RAM combo... 1.2GHz isnt really a lot these days.. but it should easily thump my Radeon which is all I am after.

Cheers :)

erikss0n
10-14-02, 04:30 PM
I have an ABIT KT7-RAID with an Athlon 1.0@1.34GHz +512MB Mosel CAS2. Memory timings maxxed but FSB wont make it over 103MHz and still have descent stability. My Graphics card is the same model as one you have been offered runnig at (295,640).

3Dmark2001Se-scores are maxxed at ~8300pts or was it 6300? can´t remember and madonion is down now, when I try to go there?

I'm thinking nforce2.... soon!

//erikss0n.com

PenguinJim
10-14-02, 04:35 PM
Hi

I have the KT7A mobo, which is v. similar to yours (I think :D)

My system flies with a 1gig Athlon-C T-Bird processor, 512Mb PC133 Cas-2 SDRAM and a Gainward Ti4400. You should be able to clock ~9000 3DMarks IMHO. There is a *tiny* problem when installing WinXP from scratch with these slightly older Abit boards, as in, you can't :)

There's a BIOS update which should fix it, yours is at:

http://fae.abit.com.tw/eng/download/bios/kt7.htm

I haven't tried reinstalling WinXP yet, but I spose you can always use your old Radeon card to install XP, then add the graphics card afterwards :)

Just out of interest, what IS the bargain price you've been offered for the creative card?

Chicane-UK
10-15-02, 02:44 AM
Originally posted by PenguinJim
Hi

I have the KT7A mobo, which is v. similar to yours (I think :D)

My system flies with a 1gig Athlon-C T-Bird processor, 512Mb PC133 Cas-2 SDRAM and a Gainward Ti4400. You should be able to clock ~9000 3DMarks IMHO. There is a *tiny* problem when installing WinXP from scratch with these slightly older Abit boards, as in, you can't :)

There's a BIOS update which should fix it, yours is at:

http://fae.abit.com.tw/eng/download/bios/kt7.htm

I haven't tried reinstalling WinXP yet, but I spose you can always use your old Radeon card to install XP, then add the graphics card afterwards :)

Just out of interest, what IS the bargain price you've been offered for the creative card?

Thanks for that info!

The bargain price was £90 if you wanna know.. its technically in an OEM state (anti static bag + a driver CD only) but that doesnt bother me!

PenguinJim
10-15-02, 06:07 AM
Originally posted by Chicane-UK
The bargain price was £90 if you wanna know.. its technically in an OEM state (anti static bag + a driver CD only) but that doesnt bother me!

£90 is a bargain for a Ti4400 - congratulations! You're a winner!

SurfMonkey
10-15-02, 06:13 AM
I've a Creative Ti4400 in my current rig. And I had it in a KT7 with an 800Mhz Duron previously. I've managed to get it to 310/640 and still remain stable. It's also given me over 11k on madbunion (with an XP1900+).

Good deal!!

Chicane-UK
10-15-02, 04:51 PM
Wow!

Well what can I say.. that was a pretty painless installation! I simply uninstalled Radeon from Windows XP, shut down the computer, plugged in the Ti4400, booted into Windows and installed the new Detonators. The way all installations should be!

Full credit to Nvidia - even on my 'bottlenecking' 1.2GHz Athlon, everything is a tonne better.. so smooth and fast. My 3DMark score is 7789 - not bad if you ask me! Colours are richer as well, and AntiAliasing actually works without killing the computer.

So for now.. both thumbs up.. very impressed :)

thcdru2k
10-15-02, 08:22 PM
good job :)

PenguinJim
10-15-02, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by thcdru2k
good job :)

indeed :)