PDA

View Full Version : cpu running 1.2Ghz slower than it should be??

rabblerouser
05-10-04, 11:13 AM
I bought a compaq laptop 2533AH a month ago in Singapore. The specs were as follows:

P4 2.8Ghz (desktop cpu)
512MB ram
Ati 64 MB shared
CD-RW/DVD
40GB hard drive

Anyway, I noticed that this thing is damn slow compared to my desktop computers which run at 2.53Ghz and at 2.4Ghz respectively. It's also slower probably than my other Athlon 1.33Ghz desktop. I know that compaq has a lot of bs running the background and at start-up, but it still it is slower than it should be.

So I look under the general tab in device manager, and it says 2.8Ghz but below that it says 1.59Ghz. So basically the thing is running at 1.59Ghz. When I look at system information by running msconfig from start menu>run, it says 1.54Ghz or something like that.

This laptop doesn't have speedstep. I've set the power settings to desktop/home computer.

What do I have to do to get the thing to run at 2.8Ghz? If it's going to be at 1.59Ghz all the time, I may as well have bought a laptop with a much slower cpu for a lower price (not that the one I bought was expensive). Really ticks me off.

saturnotaku
05-10-04, 11:17 AM
Do you have the computer plugged in or are you running it off the battery?

rabblerouser
05-10-04, 11:31 AM
The computer is plugged in and the battery removed.

-=DVS=-
05-10-04, 09:13 PM
Check power management maybe its set on adaptive always or something , runs at conservative speed ....i can easly change it on my laptop no matter if battery or AC plugged in.