Mo[R]pH
05-11-04, 04:45 PM
hi

ive got a problem with my gcard, hope some1 can help me out :angel2:

first of all my specs (its an old system):

asus a7v133 (via KT 133a chipset)
amd duron 800 mhz fbs 100 mhz
~650mb of sdram 133mhz
xtasy geforce 4 MX 420 64 mb ram (IRQ 9, PCI Slot 1)
directX 7.0 (purposly 7.0, tried it also with the 8.1 drivers)
win2000 sp3

let go right to my problem...

my gcard simply doesnt work, ive tried the drivers on the driver cd, seems like those were detonator drivers 27.xx of course 4 win2k.

sometimes i get just a black screen after the startup pick of win2k is over, or i get a graphical corpumtion right when i enter win. --> i get a black border somewhere is it right in through the middle of the screen vertiaclly oder horizontaly or sometimes its also just at the "edge" of the screen, that means its just displaced... like if the screen would be divided... :retard:

also when i want to play a game or just start a benchmark (usually 2000 or 2001SE its an older gcard :P ) it also gives me some corrpumtions, but in a differante way of course. usually ill just get these flashy color all over the screen, but i can still recognize the game textures, or its flashes from time 2 time some crapy looking snow thingy b**** very quickly and just 1 or 2 times then its gone for about 5 sekonds or more ...

im pretty shure that it aint a heat problem, cause the heatsink is about 10 degrees celsius colder the my finger ( fixed a cooler on it, coolermaster XXXX )

the cpu isnt runnig hot neither....

so if somebody PLZ can help me...!!

im about to f****** hang my self with the power cord....

*smashed head against wall*

thx in advance :angel2:

Ady
05-11-04, 04:50 PM
Does it display the bios okay? Or are you able to see some corruption there aswell?

Mo[R]pH
05-11-04, 04:53 PM
yes the bios work perfectly no corruption, it start as i get into win, resp. after the wuin2k logo....

Ady
05-11-04, 04:58 PM
Did your card work okay before but has just started causing problems now? Or has it always been like that? It might have some faulty ram. :(

I guess you should try the latest drivers. www.nvidia.com

Mo[R]pH
05-11-04, 05:03 PM
ive tried the latest drivers, and nope never used that card b4, ive found it laying arround and since i had some crapy agp card i thought ill swithc 2 this one....
i dont think that its the ram, i mean if it would be the ram it wouldnt work at all would it?

Ady
05-11-04, 05:05 PM
Yes, it would work but show corruption. Sounds like you have found yourself a dead card. :(

Mo[R]pH
05-11-04, 05:06 PM
bah :( any other suggestions what it could be ? cant believe it ....dont want to ...

could it be a problem with the IRQ ...? bios settings ? ....

Ady
05-11-04, 05:10 PM
Sorry, but I don't think it would be an IRQ issue. I think there was a reason it was lying around.

Edit: I hope someone else here can help you out with a cure, but I wouldn't bet on it. :(

CoSWill
05-11-04, 08:33 PM
Did your machine have a video card in it before or was it onboard graghics?

Mo[R]pH
05-12-04, 01:06 AM
pH']ive tried the latest drivers, and nope never used that card b4, ive found it laying arround and since i had some crapy agp card i thought ill swithc 2 this one....
i dont think that its the ram, i mean if it would be the ram it wouldnt work at all would it?

- yes

Drumphil
05-12-04, 01:42 AM
do you have the latest VIA chipset drivers for the mobo, and what about motherboard BIOS.. some older boards have bios updates that can fix some AGP problems. Apart from that, try another card in the computer if you can, and see if that works.. Also, can you set the AGP speed to 2x in the bios.. could be a problem with a newer card that doesn't like AGP 4x with an older board.. Anyway, there are lots of things to try that should help you narrow it down to the exact problem.. Having said that, it does sound like a dead card.

Reinstalling windows can be a good idea sometimes too.. Gets rid of left over driver files and settings that can cause problems.. At least run drivercleaner if you change cards and drivers.

Mo[R]pH
05-12-04, 10:38 AM
well i installed the via 4in1 drivers, i cant find the driver cd anymore, so if there you know where i can find the latest drivers plz tell me... (their not on the via website ... lets say i couldnt find them and on the asus website ive just found the 4in1 thing)

the bios is at 1009, if im right informed the newest asus a7v133 driver is the 1010a and is still and will stay in the beta phase... so there are no significant changes fomr 1009 to 1010a

as i said its NOT an AGP card, its PCI

ive had XP installed, then i tried win 98 ( !!!!! ) and win2k, there was the same problem on every system.

ive also installed 4 differant drivers, detonators, from 30.xx to 60.xx

there was always the same problem...

any other ideas?

Drumphil
05-12-04, 10:57 AM
they ARE on the via website.. look harder

if that doesn't fix it your card is boned or just doesn't like your motherboard.

Mo[R]pH
05-12-04, 11:07 AM
hmmm well ill check it again :)

i dont think that a asus a7v133 would have such problems with a nvida chip base grahpiccard...... not this kind of problems.....

Mo[R]pH
05-12-04, 11:14 AM
sry 4 double post ...

ok call me stupid but thats where i get...

http://www.via.com.tw/en/apollo/KT133A.jsp

if you go under drivers there are no drivers 4 the via133A ... or im just f blind.....

saturnotaku
05-12-04, 11:16 AM
This (http://downloads.viaarena.com/drivers/4in1/VIA_4in1_443v.zip) is what you'll need to download and install.

Mo[R]pH
05-12-04, 02:19 PM
thx 4 finding it, but i already installed it ..... didnt help.....ima seriously gonna hang my self....

well so lets say the cards dead.... what card would u suggest me to get?

here are again my specs:

asus a7v133 (newest bios, agp 4x (max) )
via KT133A chipset...
amd thunderbird 1400 "c" (fsb 266)
~650 mb sdram
soundblaster live ( i know thats irrelevant...)

winXP....

umm well i think thats all what is important....

EDIT: whats better? the MSI FX5200, 64MB DDR OR the Asus V9520 Magic/T, 128MB DDR RAM, GeForceFX 5200

except that there is a 64 mb difference ?

Ady
05-12-04, 03:25 PM
Do yourself a favour and throw that card in the bin. It wasn't much of a card anyways. A gf4ti or a 9600pro/xt would do you some good.