PDA

View Full Version : Wacky CDROM Problems

Karrde
05-11-04, 04:55 PM
Okay, while this may not be the best place to post this, I'm running out of options and I thought I'd give it a try.

I just recently successfully reformatted by hard drive and reinstalled Windows XP Home Edition. I thought, what the hell, I'll upgrade to Windows XP Professional. So I run the WinXP Pro install CD and it starts installing. About halfway through the install, I get an error saying that the installation can't find a file. Okay, I think, that might not be a big deal. I press the "skip" button. Now it can't find another file. At this point I figure something is wrong so I exit out of the installation. My computer resets and I try to just goto Windows XP Home to try again. Well, the splash screen starts running and then freezes. My computer locks up. I have to turn it off then back on, and try again. Still freezing at the splash screen.

I try Safe Mode, Debugging Mode, "Last Working Configuration" Mode, and none of them work. I then tried to boot the Windows Recovery Console using my Windows XP CD. Apparently my CD ROM drive is not responding. It fails to boot at all, and than I try to boot using my trusty boot disk. I can't access C: at all at the command prompt.

Than I tried swapping CDROM drives with another one that I'm positive works, but my system won't acknowledge the new CDROM drive at all, and I can't get into Windows to install the drivers or set it up. So far things are looking pretty bad, and I'm running out of ideas.

As for the CD ROM drive, when I put in a CD I hear no spinning, but the CD ROM drive light blinks 4 or 5 times than stops. It still ejects CDs and seems to be running okay, other then the fact that it doesn't read CDs.

Thanks for any advice you guys can give me.

Smokey
05-11-04, 05:08 PM
Im sure your install problem was the cdrom, Ive had that problem also in the past. As for you new cdrom, make sure you have setup slave/master correctly and that its detected in the bios.