PDA

View Full Version : I hope it's only a dead Hard Drive

Iron1384
05-11-04, 09:46 PM
I've got a secondary computer with a Celeron 1.9 GHz and a 20 gig hard drive. I'm hoping only the hard drive is dead, as it can never boot any more. I've tried it in two other computers, and they will not boot with this drive. Just the XP error, "failed to load windows" and a choice of safe mode or normal. But neither of those ever work. It starts to load XP, then briefly flashes blue, like a hardware failure, and reboots. My problem is, I’ve tried 2 other hard drives in this system, and still have not been able to boot it. Shouldn't a hard drive from another XP system be able to boot on this machine? (Screen stays black, and NOTHING happens)

I've already tried removing all unnecessary components in case one of them failed, and tested each stick of RAM one at a time, but still no go. I guess my point, in this rambling post, is that I know the hard drive is bad, but is something else wrong, as in the computer not booting with a good hard drive.

Clay
05-11-04, 11:00 PM
Have you cleared the CMOS since installing the new HD?

Iron1384
05-12-04, 03:20 PM
i haven't cleared any CMOS, but i didn't install a new hard drive. This computer simply stopped working.

Son Goku
05-12-04, 10:00 PM
Windows might not like it if the hardware is all completely different. The trick is to try another hard drive you can wipe and do a fresh install to help detect things. You might want to try clearing the CMOS as Maxpoer suggested as well.

Iron1384
05-12-04, 10:51 PM
Awesome, thanks. I cleared the CMOS, and it booted up just fine with another hard drive. Now all i need is a new drive....

Clay
05-13-04, 08:35 AM
Great! Glad to hear that you're back in business. :)