View Full Version : No 6800 Ultra extreme, Nvidia says:

V0ices
05-12-04, 10:29 AM
nv40.com (www.nv40.com)

NVIDIA SAID THAT all Geforce 6800 Ultra will remain clocked at 400MHz,

wtf i wanted that..! :retard:

particleman
05-12-04, 10:53 AM
It basically restates what we already know, the Ultra will stay clocked at 400Mhz. There will still be an extreme but in very limited quantities and only from OEMs and select manufacturers and not really an official nVidia product. Since in the article it says Gainward will still release a 450+ 6800. Basically the extreme is only out there for benchmarks though.

Blacklash
05-12-04, 11:28 AM
Right the independents will put it out, no worries. I think this a rational decision by Nvidia. As others said the extreme is mostly intended to wow kids and compete in the 'e-peen' bench factor/craze.

The 6800u will be more than enough card for most.

hithere
05-12-04, 01:41 PM
Gosh, didn't see that one coming

Unit01
05-12-04, 03:18 PM
Hrm is that nv40.com site reliable?
I would tend to believe they would at least try to release some Extreme for retail so that they at least have some cards out there.

Blacklash
05-12-04, 06:09 PM
Well I know BFG was given the nod to make overclocked versions. I will be watching and waiting to see what they do.

PreservedSwine
05-12-04, 06:46 PM
Funny..didn't stop nVidia from comparing it to the X800XT in nearly every major review

Jarred
05-12-04, 06:50 PM
Funny..didn't stop nVidia from comparing it to the X800XT in nearly every major review

every major one? I don't think it was in half of them dude, to me some of the major ones are THG and Anand, but they weren't there.

I'm interested to see how many reveiws in that Long list that was posted up had Extreme in them.

If I recall correctly it was about 1/3

heck I wanted more!

PreservedSwine
05-12-04, 07:16 PM
every major one? I don't think it was in half of them dude, to me some of the major ones are THG and Anand, but they weren't there.

I'm interested to see how many reveiws in that Long list that was posted up had Extreme in them.

If I recall correctly it was about 1/3

heck I wanted more!

Another great precedent in marketing wars....releasing cards for benchmarking only, then not selling them! :clap:

Jarred
05-12-04, 07:23 PM
Another great precedent in marketing wars....releasing cards for benchmarking only, then not selling them! :clap:

oh I'll get one!

-=DVS=-
05-13-04, 12:12 AM
Just need to borrow some mad overcloaking skills from Macci or whats his name he got X800XT running at 700Mhz core with dry ice i think :eek:

zakelwe
05-13-04, 02:25 AM
I'm getting an overclocked as well Preserved Swine .. you cannot dampen our spirits that easily.

By the way, macci is now up to 750Mhz on that X850XT ;) now he has got it on dual cascade cooler at -85C.

Regards

Andy

Casper
05-13-04, 05:53 AM
nVidia market team strikes again lol. Talk about vaporware...

It solved it´s purpose though. Many review sites benched the X800XT against the 6850 ULTRA.

zakelwe
05-13-04, 06:34 AM
It's not vapourware when you can buy it .

"You're a bleedin' nutter" as we say in England :)

LOL

Regards

Andy

Casper
05-13-04, 06:36 AM
that is just the point you can´t buy it unless you want to shell out 100$ and are lucky to get one of the few examples available for the public.

OWA
05-13-04, 08:52 AM
that is just the point you can´t buy it unless you want to shell out 100$ and are lucky to get one of the few examples available for the public.
So vaporware means the product is just more expensive (and hard to get). Okay, thanks for that clarification.

Casper
05-13-04, 09:49 AM
So vaporware means the product is just more expensive (and hard to get). Okay, thanks for that clarification.

As I got it explained vaporware is stuff that is talked a lot about yet there aren´t any of it on the market to be seen. And with the very low amount of 6850 ULTRAS and since it won´t be produced in any more numbers it will very soon become vaporware yes.

If that is true only the 2000 already shipped will be all nvidia will produce...

OWA
05-13-04, 11:11 AM
As I got it explained vaporware is stuff that is talked a lot about yet there aren´t any of it on the market to be seen. And with the very low amount of 6850 ULTRAS and since it won´t be produced in any more numbers it will very soon become vaporware yes.

If that is true only the 2000 already shipped will be all nvidia will produce...
Once an item exists and can be bought it's no longer vaporware. UT2004's release included an SE DVD version that once they were sold out, that was it. That doesn't make it vaporware. It was a collector's edition, limited edition, special edition, or whatever you want to call it but it's not vaporware. Not worth arguing about though since no extremes are out there yet and it could end up being vaporware after all.

Skynet
05-13-04, 01:03 PM
I don't see what is so ****ing magical about the 6800 Ultra Extreme version. I am sure there will be Ultras that overclock to 450 mhz anyway. Now all we need if for nVidia to MAKE THE CARD AVAILABLE, still waiting.

OWA
05-13-04, 01:40 PM
Yeah, it'll be nice once the next gen cards start showing up in retail. The wait is driving me crazy as well. Heh, the closest thing I've seen so far is the empty box for the X800Pro saying it's coming soon. Haven't seen even an empty box for the 6800U yet so I hope that's not a bad sign.

I'm also a little curious as to why nvidia held back a little on the core speed. ATI has basically admitted pushing it to the edge with the XT (probably why it doesn't appear you can oc it very much) so I don't understand why nvidia didn't do the same (unless maybe that would overwhelm the stock cooling on the reference design). With things being so close though you'd think every lilttle bit would help.

Edit: I stopped by CompUSA again today and was told the end of May for when the X800 Pro will be available. I didn't bother asking about the XT or the 6800 series since they didn't even have empty boxes advertisting those two yet. Anyway, why does a retail store cater to it's online website rather than the actual stores? Does that mean they don't have enough to fill the stock for all the stores yet so it's only available online or what?