View Full Version : Sell 9500pro for 5900XT?

05-12-04, 10:16 AM
Evening gents and ladies.

I just got an offer of ca 120$ for my 9500pro, and was wondering whether an upgrade to 5900xt for an extra 80$ (200$ total) is worth it?

No fanboyism please, I'm just a sucker for upgrades, and was wondering whether the extra speed is worth the decrease in IQ, and whether mixed mode dx9 is really that bad.

I know I'm not doing the "smartest thing" as far as sound business decisions go, I just need a new toy. I also just oc'ed a barton 2500 to 3200, so I wonder how much the radeon is holding me back?

05-12-04, 10:24 AM
Probably better to save that money for a real upgrade like a 6800 or a X800. The 5900 is a great card for old games, but as more and more games that use shaders are begining to show up it's limitations are really begining to show. FP16/32 Mixed mode isn't very noticeable from my experience, the main problem is that it is still slow even when running mixed mode and even with PS1.X effects.

If you mainly play older games that don't use shaders though, the 5900 will provide a noticeable improvement over a 9500 Pro when AA is enabled. But like I said it's probably better to save that money for a real upgrade.

05-12-04, 10:26 AM
9800Pro's are $199 now.

05-12-04, 10:27 AM
Yap, for 200USD, you better buy a 9800 Pro over a 5900XT.

05-12-04, 10:40 AM
Yeah, I thought of that as well. Maybe I'll just sell the 9500pro, and stick in my Geforce 1 DDR card until the prices come down. My main motivation is selling the Radeon before it's own price goes down.

My main problem is that where I live the cheapest 9800pro's are still going for over 400 usd, while the 5900XT's are quite a bit cheaper. Hell, the 5950ultra and 9800XT's both go for 580$ over here. The price difference between mainstream and high-end are much higher over here than in the US.

(Actually the prices I gave for the XT and 9500pro were just baselines for your reference. The actual prices in question are 160$ for the 9500pro and 260$ for the 5900XT. I just wanna sell the 9500pro before it gets down to 80$)

You can say "HOLY CRAP!" now.

05-12-04, 10:42 AM
Sell it while you can, stay with the GF1 until prices go down then.

05-12-04, 10:46 AM
Thanks, I guess that's what I wanted to hear.

Silly question, but has anyone tried first generation dx7 tech on recent games?

05-12-04, 11:23 AM
Seeing that most games require a GF2MX upwards, you might be able to run a reasonable amount of games using low detail settings. But, sacrifices have to be made.

05-12-04, 04:52 PM
Well I went from a 9500 Pro to a 5900XT, And @ stock, There the 5900XT is "slightly" Faster, But its not hugely noticable.

in AA/AF its alot faster. But without them, Its not that significant, Overclocking to Ultra Speeds increased the gap significantly, SO its up to you.

However I have to agreen with particleman. No R300 or NV35 deritive is going to give you a very full or "satisfactory" upgrade. My Suggestion is to stomach it or wait.

05-12-04, 07:28 PM
Thx. AA/AF performance is the main reason I want to upgrade. I'm really just looking for the cheapest 256-bit card, and that just happens to be the 5900XT. Or that's what I'm telling myself. I really just want a new toy.

I just tried plugging in the original GF and, well, I got about 4-5fps in aquamark3, (I gave up on it), and about 50 in the UT2003 demo benchmark (at 640x480). I also realized how hooked I am on my dual-monitor setup.

I'll probably just hold on to the Radeon for a while longer, and sell it off for less when the time comes (or something).

It's funny though, when I retired my GeforceDDR at the time, it didn't feel so slow AT ALL.

05-12-04, 08:51 PM
I think you made the best choice in keeping the 9500Pro. It will keep you in the game until you can make an upgrade. ;)