PDA

View Full Version : Look Geforce 6800 PCI express SLI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

skoprowski
05-12-04, 02:00 PM
What do you all think?

"Alienware's Video Array [May 12, 2004, 2:49 pm EDT] - 2 Comments
Alienware makes their big E3 announcements; X2, an upcoming PCI-Express motherboard, and Video Array, a way of using multiple video cards in parallel, saying: "The Alienware Video Array and X2 motherboard will debut in Q3/Q4, exclusively through Alienware’s new ALX brand, a family of extreme performance systems catering to the demands of the most hardcore PC enthusiasts. ALX systems will be sold only in the United States, directly through www.alienware.com/alx or 1-800-ALIENWARE." There's a Q&A on the announcement on HomeLAN Fed, and here's more:
Video Array is an accelerated graphics processing subsystem that will allow users to add multiple, off-the-shelf video cards to their Alienware computer systems and have both cards process graphic commands in parallel. Understanding the wide-ranging wants and needs of its customers, Alienware designed its solution so that it is not tied to any one specific video card. This design will allow users to take full advantage of the fastest video card on the market for a significant performance increase.

Alienware’s exclusive Video Array combined with X2, an Alienware designed motherboard which is currently based on Intel Corporation’s next-generation chipset and will include dual PCI-Express high performance graphics card slots, will deliver significant performance gains over current graphic solutions. The new Video Array Technology and X2 motherboard will enable users to run graphics intensive applications flawlessly at maximized settings, render 3D visuals in record time, and much more."

CaptNKILL
05-12-04, 02:09 PM
God damn, if that actually works the way it should, it could be amazing :drooling:

fallguy
05-12-04, 02:12 PM
Dont forget it will work with ATi cards as well.

Clay
05-12-04, 02:16 PM
Don't forget it will work with any PCI Express card (XGI, Matrox perhaps, etc, etc).

Gator
05-12-04, 02:23 PM
OMFG!!! :super: :bugeyes: :headbang:

That is just awesome! SLI returns baby!

I'm shocked it will work with any card, I guess the entire process is done thru the bus and not the cards themselves like Voodoo2 was

Amazing! I wonder if Asus, Gigabyte, and other board makers will pick up suite eventually? Gotta get me an Athlon64 with dual channel DDR and dual GF6's :drooling:

PoorGuy
05-12-04, 02:29 PM
Obviously this solution is only for the high-rollers of PC enthusiasts.

4q2
05-12-04, 02:31 PM
Obviously this solution is only for the high-rollers of PC enthusiasts.

You got that right!!

Kind of ironic that your name here is PoorGuy. :D

Clay
05-12-04, 02:32 PM
Obviously this solution is only for the high-rollers of PC enthusiasts.You've just described most Alienware customers...or perhaps just those that don't know any better and have money to burn. ;) I hope we see this technology mirrored by other mobo mfgs.

saturnotaku
05-12-04, 02:44 PM
Reading that gave me the chills. Absolutely amazing.

|JuiceZ|
05-12-04, 02:46 PM
Kind of ironic that your name here is PoorGuy. :D

heh yea really.

This is just freakin' awesome! :drooling: Hope they can incorporate some of this technology future AMD chipsets. Reminds me of the days when guys w/ uber rigs ran systems w/ a TNT card for d3d/ogl and two V2 running in SLI for glide api :cool2:

Reading that gave me the chills...

Words spoken by a true geek...I love it! :D

4q2
05-12-04, 02:52 PM
I wonder what the power requirements for 2 6800 ultra's would be....

A small nuclear plant maybe????

hmmmmm...........

:)

zakelwe
05-12-04, 02:57 PM
I hope it comes with a 7Ghz AMD64 so it is not cpu limited :)

Regards

Andy

Clay
05-12-04, 03:02 PM
I wonder what the power requirements for 2 6800 ultra's would be....

A small nuclear plant maybe????

hmmmmm...........

:)
Oh puh-leeeazze don't kick that misinformed dead horse about power requirements. :D

Cota
05-12-04, 03:03 PM
Good move by alienware.

I wonder what motherboard are they using, because I haven't heard of any motherboard that has 2 X-16 PCI express slots.

Also, I guess there must be driver support for the cards to work together, I also wonder if we'll see scan line interleave, frame interleave or tile interleave or maybe something new.

Riptide
05-12-04, 03:05 PM
I hope it comes with a 7Ghz AMD64 so it is not cpu limited :
That's a good point Andy. Seeing as these new cards are pretty much CPU limited now this tech doesn't do us a hell of a lot of good for quite some time. It is intriguing though.

Skynet
05-12-04, 03:07 PM
But wait a second how is this going to actually work? There will have to be custom motherboard drivers, custom video card drivers, I don't believe this until I see it.

4q2
05-12-04, 03:07 PM
Oh puh-leeeazze don't kick that misinformed dead horse about power requirements. :D

hehe, even with 2 of ATI's latest cards it will require a monster PSU. :)

Clay
05-12-04, 03:12 PM
But wait a second how is this going to actually work? There will have to be custom motherboard drivers, custom video card drivers, I don't believe this until I see it.
Ever hear of Voodoo SLI? ;) Ya didn't need any of that...

maxbero
05-12-04, 03:14 PM
A dream came true. :clap:

CaiNaM
05-12-04, 03:18 PM
well, since many of the benchmarks indicate cpu bottlenecks, imo we need much faster cpu's to really see the benefit of a sli type configuration.

particleman
05-12-04, 03:25 PM
Yeah only now at top of the line video card costs $500 USD while a Voodoo 2 back in the day costed almost half that. Sorry, but $1000 for an SLI solution is too expensive IMO.

Cota
05-12-04, 03:26 PM

Yes you did and still do

You need video drivers that support 2 cards. Else they won't work together, you would only use one at a time.

Skynet
05-12-04, 03:26 PM
That's because the card is designed to be used in SLI via a bridge connector. Do you see such a feature on any card from nVidia and ATi?

Gator
05-12-04, 03:36 PM
I wonder what the power requirements for 2 6800 ultra's would be....A small nuclear plant maybe???? hmmmmm...........:)

Damn! That's a good point. GF6 needs a hell of a lot of power as it is. Even an Antec 550W might note be enough for it all. You might need dual PSU's for this kind of setup and a full tower case.

That's because the card is designed to be used in SLI via a bridge connector. Do you see such a feature on any card from nVidia and ATi?

hmmm... good point. I wonder how they'll get around this with the PCI-E bus? Unless it'll all be controlled using special drivers, that might not be too terrible.

poursoul
05-12-04, 03:49 PM
Hey guys, i just got my june issue of maximum pc and they had a small blurb on this.

Anyway all they really said in there that was of any importance was they said it would be a combination of hardware and software, it would offer up to a 70% increase in performance, and that the speed increase would not come at the expense of visual quality.

Here's my question :

Anyone thought of using a 6800Ultra with a X800XT PE? Wonder how that would perform?

About the question about the link cable in the old SLI configuration.

There is plenty-o-bandwidth in the PCI-E 16x spec to accept the information between the two componnents while still doing the work they normally do, i mean common, we're not even fullfilling AGP4x really. In addition to that, isn't one of the major advantages to PCI-E that devices (such as videocards) can "talk" directly to eachother without going through the bridge or whatever?