PDA

View Full Version : A bunch of questions!

dodgyman_00
05-12-04, 02:34 PM
I want to stick with Nvidia cos i like their cards but im a student on a budget so question 1

1. Good UK sites for good special offers on nvidia cards?
-already know about overclockers.co.uk, ebuyer,microdirect.
2. Why do some lower budget cards have more RAM than the high performance cards? I always think 256mb will be more future proof?
3. Anywhere i can pick up maybe a cheap geforce 4 TI? Or are they not enough better compared to my gf4mx440

Ady
05-12-04, 02:41 PM
2. Why do some lower budget cards have more RAM than the high performance cards? I always think 256mb will be more future proof?

It is normally slower less expensive ram. There is more benefit in having faster ram, rather than more ram. You also get the situation, where your budget card is going to be too slow to handle a game that uses much more than 128MB ram. Fact is 256MB of RAM makes very little difference over 128MB in todays games. You would have to expect more ram to be helpful in the future, but your card is going to be too slow by then anyway.

saturnotaku
05-12-04, 02:43 PM
Don't have an answer to your first question, but here goes for the rest:

2) The memory used on these lower cost cards are often higher latency, lower technology and therefore much lower performance than many 128 mb cards. Don't be fooled here.

3) Basically any GF4 Ti card or better is going to blow away the card you have now. The 4 MX is nothing more than a glorified GeForce2. If you can swing it, you might be wise to purchase an FX 5700 non-ultra and overclock it. Lots of people are getting great results by doing this.

dodgyman_00
05-12-04, 02:46 PM
Overclock it? Dumb question- is overclocking software supplied? I dont do bios stuff

Also is a 5600xt as good as a 5700?

zakelwe
05-12-04, 03:09 PM
All those UK stores you quote are probably not the best bet.

Also, if you are going to spend money then get a 5900XT before they disappear.

Regards

Andy

saturnotaku
05-12-04, 03:33 PM
Overclock it? Dumb question- is overclocking software supplied? I dont do bios stuff

Also is a 5600xt as good as a 5700?

Overclocking can be done through NVIDIA's driver control panel via the Coolbits registry hack (Google is your friend). There is even an auto-detect option that is pretty good for determining the limits of the card.

And the 5600XT isn't nearly as good as the 5700. Most of those XT cards use a 64-bit memory interface as opposed to the 5700's 128-bit.

If you can save even more money, the 5900XT is the best value in an NVIDIA card right now. Most can be had in the USA for about $179.

dodgyman_00
05-12-04, 03:56 PM
Dammit im on a budget!
I really wanted a 256mb card but i can only afford one in the 5600 range not the 5700 range. Which would last longer? Also please dont say those sites arent the best if u have no other suggestions?