PDA

View Full Version : Did nVidia Blow thier wad early

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

CaiNaM
05-12-04, 02:52 PM
you know.. i am curious. the whole nv paper lauch thing got me rather excited about next gen cards.. not so much in features but by the simple fact that, while the features were rather mundane, the performance all of the sudden caused many games from being gpu limited to cpu limited. that's a pretty nice improvement, and i was excited.

unfortunately, the actual release of the hardware was nowhere near the release of the "previews", and since then, ati announced and released in the same week.. while not with abundant ability and many vendors "price gouging", they were available. CUSA had the 10% sale, and intrigued by the performance increase, i ordered one monday for $350. it shipped today. i didnt want to wait another week or tow (or longer?).

anyway, i ramble.. but the question is, did nvidia hurt themselves by announcing so far ahead of its hardware actually being available? would they have been better by making people wait a bit longer (and perhaps a bit more eager to see what they were going to offer?) until they were near hardware release? i think so.. i would have held off a bit longer if nvidia had kept me waiting to see how their hardware was going to be. anyway, to the poll...

Riptide
05-12-04, 02:59 PM
The question to me is, will the XT be available in stores before the 6800U or not? :)

zakelwe
05-12-04, 03:02 PM
It's hardly a long wait in the scheme of things ?

Mind you I am itching to get mine !

Regards

Andy

Skynet
05-12-04, 03:04 PM
Well the X800 is already available at vendors such as Newegg, just as ATi had stated. It pains me somewhat to say it, but nVidia has done another paper launch and we don't actually know when the 6800's will be in stores. I think nVidia will be very lucky to have anything on shelves before the X800XT ships.

CaiNaM
05-12-04, 03:05 PM
well, and even more legitimate question might be concerning the midrange stuff, which ati hasn't even announced.. but in sheer market, the upper end cards are a small %.

but in response to your particular question, i'm far more intrigued by the 6800GT than the 6800u... i'll probably end up getting on of those for one of my other pc's, but probably not untill they are readily avail and costs drop... or perhaps even not until i get a pci-e board....

OWA
05-12-04, 03:06 PM
I voted holding out but that may change if the X800XTs start showing up in retail before the 6800U. Right now, neither one is available in my area. I'm sure once the X800P shows up in retail in my area that'll tempt me also but I'm trying to hold off on that one.

Riptide
05-12-04, 03:07 PM
The Pro is certainly available and we can get preorders in for the XT. But they at least appear to have pushed back the ship date for the XT until the first week of July. Who knows, maybe the 6800U will be shipping by then...

CaiNaM
05-12-04, 03:08 PM
It's hardly a long wait in the scheme of things ?

Mind you I am itching to get mine !

Regards

Andy

i was too.. the performance increase over the last gen had me really excited.. and i was itching for an nv40, but i got tired of waiting and the x800pro deal was just too good to pass up. i'm sure i'll get an nv40 in time, but i just couldn't wait...

4q2
05-12-04, 03:10 PM
With ATI already shipping their cards I imagine it is better to at least have Nvidia's paper launch so people will know what they are waiting for.

ATI shipping the next gen with no word from Nvidia would have been far worse IMO.

Skynet
05-12-04, 03:13 PM
Ya but in the grand scheme of things, does it matter if nVidia sent out 6800's a few weeks after the X800's? It does not seem to have hurt ATi, why would it hurt nVidia?

CaiNaM
05-12-04, 03:14 PM
or perhaps they should have announced right after ati did (closer to nv hardware being avail)? it just seems like such a long time since we had a taste of what nv offered this gen, to actually being able to get one. the "excitement" of the nv40, at least for me, wore off somewhat.

i also should have added another option in voting: no, i will buy x800xt or 6800u, whichever i can get my hands on first.

dunno if i can edit the poll tho..

Skynet
05-12-04, 03:20 PM
Well one thing ATi did which was clever is make the lower spec X800 available first, it makes them look good. The XT is not going to be in stores for up to a month from now, with luck nVidia will have the 6800 in boxes and on shelves as well. ATi and nVidia intro new cards the reverse of eachother, ATi the lower spec card first, nVidia the opposite.

OWA
05-12-04, 03:27 PM
I don't like the X800P move b/c I want to buy the top of the line cards. So, in a way it just irritates me that they released the mid-level card first (since I'm still having to wait). Of course, once the X800Pro starts showing up on the shelves and the temptation to buy one becomes greater, it might end up being a good move (if I can't resist the urge to have a card *now*).

But, I agree that it was a smart move on their part though. The X800Pro performs very well and it buys some time for the X800XT. Plus, they'll get a lot of sales for being first available.

saturnotaku
05-12-04, 03:36 PM
I don't like the X800P move b/c I want to buy the top of the line cards. So, in a way it just irritates me that they released the mid-level card first (since I'm still having to wait). Of course, once the X800Pro starts showing up on the shelves and the temptation to buy one becomes greater, it might end up being a good move (if I can't resist the urge to have a card *now*).

But, I agree that it was a smart move on their part though. The X800Pro performs very well and it buys some time for the X800XT. Plus, they'll get a lot of sales for being first available.

At least with your particular machines, I think you're going to be bottlenecked by either of your CPUs. The extra power of the XT won't do much for you, except boost your 3DM03 score. The Pro is more than enough for a lot of people, especially those of us who aren't running A64s or high-end P4s.

OWA
05-12-04, 03:58 PM
Yeah, I've been trying to decide what to do about my CPUs. I think if I can run every game at 1280x1024 with all settings maxed, I'll be happy. If I can do that with the Pro (or GT) I may reconsider which cards I go with. I'm not sure I want to upgrade my CPUs at this point. That would make it a lot more expensive than I'd like (especially since I want new cards for both systems).

CaiNaM
05-12-04, 04:03 PM

i actually don't consider the x800p a "middle of the line" part. it's not comparable to say, what the 9600pro/xt was to the 9800pro/xt. in many instances it beats the 6800u.

same with the 6800GT. with it's base performance as well as its overclockability, i think it's a better buy than the 6800u. the "top of the line" cards have little over their "lesser endowed" siblings imo.

noko
05-12-04, 05:01 PM
I am waiting at least 2 months if not 3. For one to see how drivers start to mature. Two, see what problems people start having with what mobo's etc.. Three, to check out the different versions from the different manufacturers. Four, to see if I can get one at a better rate. Five, I just really don't have the cash now :rolleyes:. Seems like it will be either the 6800GT or the X800XT, I wish I could do both.

OWA
05-12-04, 05:12 PM
I wasn't sure what else to call it and that's why I mentioned the X800Pro performs very well. It's definitely not your average non-high-end card. Anyway, as far as I'm concerned, I'm usually going to buy the highest-end card I can get when I finally purchase one and the best deal usually isn't the main consideration (I don't think the high-end cards are ever that great a deal). What I'm afraid of is that I'll break down and purchase an X800 Pro and then a week or two later a 6800U or X800XT will be released and I'll wish I would have waited just a little longer. If I knew for sure it would be like a month or so before they were available I probably wouldn't hesitate as much.

Also, like the earlier post brought up, a kink in my normal plan this time is my level of CPU isn't up to par. I'm usually ahead of the game on that one so I'm currently undecided about what to do. I may just get one of the cards and upgrade my CPU/mobo to go along with it and just get another card for my 2nd system later on. Basically, I just want to get 60fps at 12x10 with 4xAA/8xAF and all game settings maxed (and be able to have this in every game that I play). Whatever it takes (within reason) to do that is probably what I'll do.

Riptide
05-12-04, 05:36 PM
OWA, best buy has a 30 day return policy. It's kinda dishonest but you could return it if the XT came out a week later. :)

CaiNaM
05-12-04, 06:21 PM
OWA, best buy has a 30 day return policy. It's kinda dishonest but you could return it if the XT came out a week later. :)

it's 14 days on video cards:

Computers
Monitors
Printers
Notebook Computers
Camcorders
Digital Cameras
Radar Detectors

and it wouldn't be dishonest, that's why they have it.

lIqUID
05-12-04, 07:06 PM
ah Im still waiting for a 6800 GT, besides Im not playing anything right now that is raping my 5900 :D

4q2
05-12-04, 07:08 PM
Well I'm definately waiting for a bit. If I get either card this round it will be the ultra or the XT. Then I'll upgrade to an AMD 64 as soon as the next AMD chip comes out the the prices drop on the others.

Still waiting to see if PCIE is worth it right away or not but I will probably go with a really good AGP mobo instead.

Jarred
05-12-04, 07:10 PM
im waiting for doomIII then I'll buy whatevers the best at that point.

OWA
05-12-04, 07:19 PM
OWA, best buy has a 30 day return policy. It's kinda dishonest but you could return it if the XT came out a week later.
it's 14 days on video cards:....and it wouldn't be dishonest, that's why they have it.
Hmm...that's something I didn't think of. :) Thanks for the suggestion.

john19055
05-12-04, 09:08 PM
Well I could'nt wait so I got a X800Pro,but compared to my 9800pro I would'nt call it a mid range card.But the 6800GT looks like the best buy when it comes to the Nvidia's cards.If they come out with it for $299 it may be the best buy of all them.