PDA

View Full Version : Half-Life 2 Multiplayer

Vash
05-12-04, 06:21 PM
From Shacknews:

- Half-Life 2 multiplayer is Counter-Strike on the Source engine and will be available at the same time as when Half-Life 2 ships. Counter-Strike gameplay doesn't seem to have changed much, if at all. Graphics of course, are much improved.
- Half-Life 1 is also ported over to the Source engine and will be available at the same time as when Half-Life 2 ships.
- During the presentation, Gabe Newell reiterated that Half-Life 2 is shipping this summer, although no specific date was given.
- Team Fortress 2 was not mentioned at all.

I wondered if Counter-Strike would be ported to the Source engine, though I didn't think it would be HL2's multiplayer. I was really kinda hoping to see a multiplayer very similar to HL1's mulitplayer - it was fast, a lot of fun, and it woulda look pretty darn cool in the Source engine.

On the other hand, Half-Life will be released in the Source engine, so I might get it anyway. It'll probably cost $$ and be a download from Steam, but still - not to bad at all. The nostalgia freak that I am, I hope the statements that Carmack has made about remaking Quake 2 with the Doom 3 engine come to pass.

At least they're being quiet and conservative with the release date this time.

-=DVS=-
05-12-04, 06:33 PM
If they remade original Half-Life with all the eye candy and physics its awesome :eek:

GlowStick
05-12-04, 07:05 PM
If they remade original Half-Life with all the eye candy and physics its awesome :eek:
Sorry nope, i can 100% tell you that the hl port looks exactly the same, just done in d3d.

Here is why they are porting it, honestly steam cannot handle 2 game engines, and why should it?

Vash
05-12-04, 09:39 PM
No eye candy? How do you know? If so, that sucks. :retard:

gordon151
05-13-04, 12:02 AM
Sorry nope, i can 100% tell you that the hl port looks exactly the same, just done in d3d.

Here is why they are porting it, honestly steam cannot handle 2 game engines, and why should it?

The ported hl1 will not be free and I doubt they are gonna kick all the old hl1 engine users off steam and force them to update. It also I doubt they can keep the same textures from the old hl1 since it's based off completely different engine isn't it?

saturnotaku
05-13-04, 12:20 AM
It also I doubt they can keep the same textures from the old hl1 since it's based off completely different engine isn't it?

It is based off the Quake I engine, however there always has been an option within the original Half-Life to run it in Direct3D instead of OpenGL.

GlowStick
05-13-04, 12:20 AM
The ported hl1 will not be free and I doubt they are gonna kick all the old hl1 engine users off steam and force them to update. It also I doubt they can keep the same textures from the old hl1 since it's based off completely different engine isn't it?
The port will be free, and yes textures can be interchanged, its all data, they may of had to make a small program to convert them a bit, but probly not even that.

Basicly, it makes no sence to have 2 engines used on steam. But the requirements will not bump to play hl1 games.

gordon151
05-13-04, 12:37 AM
From the wording in this article here (http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=55530), it just seemed like they are saying it will be enhanced and will not come free.

jAkUp
05-13-04, 12:45 AM
Well the Aztec map I was shown looks incredible on the Source engine.. 20x better.

GlowStick
05-13-04, 12:46 AM
From the wording in this article here (http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=55530), it just seemed like they are saying it will be enhanced and will not come free.
Hm wow, i could be wrong. However their port of HL1 was leaked on the net already, nothing new but maybe they decided to stop the press on HL2 and do HL1.....

-=DVS=-
05-13-04, 01:39 AM
Why would anyone play outdated halflife if its same old not better :retard: only CS junkeys i guess........ HalfLife 2 will be a big step forward same for CS 2 should look mutch better , whats the point of old game other then milk dead cow again and again i guess for cash :screwy: greedy bastards.

Ady
05-13-04, 03:45 AM
Hm wow, i could be wrong. However their port of HL1 was leaked on the net already, nothing new but maybe they decided to stop the press on HL2 and do HL1.....

You are wrong. The leaked version already looked different, not exactly the same at all. It had the HL2 water among other things. I'm sure they have done a lot more work on it too, textures etc.

Vash
05-13-04, 10:01 AM
Well, if that article's right and they are going to release all of Half-Life 1's content (Op For, Blue Shift, Team Fortress), I'm gonna have to spend some more money. The chance to be able to play a classic like Half-Life with updated graphics, plus the expansions - yes it's not new content, but if you were so inclined, you could start with Half-Life, move to the expansions and then play Half-Life 2. And it would all be roughly on the same level, graphically.

Hopefully they won't squeeze the player and release them all one by one. Release 'em all in one package; that would probably get more sales.

saturnotaku
05-13-04, 10:20 AM
Hopefully they won't squeeze the player and release them all one by one. Release 'em all in one package; that would probably get more sales.

They could release a "platinum edition" like they did with the original game. That had HL, Op For, CS, TF and I think Blue Shift as well. That would suit me just fine. Sure, it would be like $70, but that's money I wouldn't mind spending at all.

The one thing I don't want to do is pay to download all that content. I want everything in a box on CDs/DVDs.

CaptNKILL
05-13-04, 03:20 PM
Wow this all sounds great. Id deffinitely buy a pack that contained all of the Valve titles if the graphics were all updated. :D

|JuiceZ|
05-13-04, 03:34 PM
Got that right :thumbsup: Release 'em as one bundle, slap a "platinum" label on the outside, throw it on a couple dvd's and you've got my $$ :)

Vash
05-13-04, 05:08 PM
The one thing I don't want to do is pay to download all that content. I want everything in a box on CDs/DVDs.

Ditto. Steam may be all fancy and such, but I like having my games available to me just in case my Internet goes down.

Reread the article - sounds like Half-Life and Counter-strike are going to be available when HL2 is released, but the rest of the add-ons won't be coming until the end of the summer.

Bantu
05-14-04, 08:33 PM
So there wont be any origional HL2 multiplayer content? just re-hashed HL1 stuff :wtf:

Vash
05-16-04, 12:12 AM
No, Counterstrike 2 is supposed to be the MP component, I think.

ClosetFanBoy
05-16-04, 12:43 AM
No, Counterstrike 2 is supposed to be the MP component, I think.

man that sucks. i recall them saying tfc2 would follow shortly after hl2's release. i sure hope thats the case, not a fan of cs.