PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP hangs on Suspend and Hibernate with Nvidia drivers, but not in VGA mode

notnecessarily
05-17-04, 06:02 PM
I just switched to a GA-7N400 Pro2 (Rev 2.0) because of a failure on my previous motherboard. I'm running a clean install of XP Pro with all the latest patches and the latest versions of the drivers available on the gigabyte website. With my old motherboard, I could hibenate or suspend with no problem, though resume from suspend often
failed. With the new motherboard, hibernate and suspend completely fail, hanging at the "preparing to hibernate" or "preparing to suspend" screen.

The bios is set to suspend to ACPI level 3 (Suspend to RAM).

I am running in single channel mode.

The system is not overclocked or running anything unusual.

As an experiment, I booted into VGA
mode, and tried both suspend and hibernate. Results:

Suspended sucessfully from VGA mode. Resumed from suspend, but video was very corrupted.

Hibernated and restored successfully from VGA mode.

Tried installing the latest WHQL certified video drivers from NVidia, and suspending again in regular mode. System hung again.

Some of you asked about my configuration:

Gigabyte GA-7N400 Pro2 (Rev 2.0)
Leadtek Winfast GeForce2 Pro video card
Netgear FA213 ethernet
Soundblaster Live! XGamer sound card
2 identical WD 8 MB 7200 RPM ATA100 IDE drives in mirrored RAID
configuration
TDK CD RW
Pioneer DVD ROM drive
512 MB Kingston Single channel DDR266 RAM (2 sticks of 256 each), in
RAM slots 1 and 2 (single channel mode)

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Michael

saturnotaku
05-17-04, 06:17 PM
Wow, triple post. You're cruisin' for a bruisin' kiddo.

notnecessarily
05-17-04, 09:27 PM
Didn't mean to flood - there was no one topic that seemed to match precisely, but three that my query fit into.

Michael

-=DVS=-
05-17-04, 09:33 PM
Actually driver forum fits this perfectly....

About the problem Hibernation never worked well on any of my computers only on my laptops.... dunno why it doesn't work well on Desktops never realy cared mutch to investigate.
Either it would not go in hibernation , freeze , don't come back from it , reboot, observed many odd behaviors :p

Oh and this was with GF4 / Radeon 9700Pro / integrated video ect.