PDA

View Full Version : curved lines on monitor

nvnews-reader
05-17-04, 11:14 PM
My monitor has these lines(distortions) on it. I'm not sure how to describe them. They start in the corners and go from upper right to upper left arching down toward the middle of the screen. The same goes for the bottom corners. It looks almost like a circle that has been cut in half and flipped inside out.

Does anyone know what causes them? What are they called? how to get rid of them?

saturnotaku
05-17-04, 11:28 PM
It's probably the pincushion effect. There should be controls on your monitor to adjust the screen back to its normal position.

Clay
05-17-04, 11:37 PM
It could also be a magnetisation effect. Have you tried moving your monitor? Does your monitor have a "degauss" button? Is this a brand new monitor or have these lines just started appearing on a monitor you've had for a while?

nvnews-reader
05-18-04, 12:09 AM
Well it might be magnetic. It looks sort of like a magnetic field would. It's not pincushion. It's most visible when there is a solid dark color displayed on the screen. My monitor is a little less than 2 years old. I’m not sure how long it’s been like this. But I think it has gotten worse recently.

Rampant CL
05-18-04, 05:44 AM
Do you have anything generating a magnetic field near, or under, or beside the monitor? This could be speakers, giant magents, large power cables without shielding, excessive numbers of wires, etc, anything like this?

Try moving the monitor to a different room, if it is magentic fields you should notice a slight difference, although the tendancy is if its been in a mag field too long it tends to stay kinda messed up./

The best thing is to ID if there are magnetic fields causing the problem or if its just monitor settings, though since you mention it has been getting worse, you should assume its going to be fields.

Normally the only way to fix it is to service centre it if it doesnt go away by itself when removed from the mag fields.

Riptide
05-18-04, 12:44 PM
It sounds like it might be Moire to me as they can be curved lines. Your monitor may have a moire cancellation option, see if it does and if so enable and play with it.

thelaw
05-28-04, 09:02 PM
My monitor is doing the same thing, but I'm going to ignore this thread just in case someone comes up with a resolution and by a new monitor.

My monitor is easily 6 years old though.