PDA

View Full Version : X800 or 6800...

Pages : [1] 2

RobHague
05-18-04, 08:11 AM
(aaa)

Not posted on here for a while - Was trying to avoid the pre-hype, pre-launch excitement of the new cards so i didnt get caught up in the upgrade mania again ;)

But im weak and I decided to upgrade, even though i swore i wouldnt fall for the 'next gen' cards. I was happy with the 9800XT i had, which is about 2 months old if that... :angel2: but the new cards look quite a leap and ive been having FPS issues in FarCry and they are spoiling my gameplaying experience ;). No really even without AA, i get some 'slideshow' moments in FarCry @ 1280x1024 (my TFT's native res) so time to look for something else.

I can't decide though. Both new cards look good and and did want to go back to NVIDIA (the company which i personally 'prefer'). But to confuse things even more i have the oppertunity to get an X800 PRO for £275. Right Now, no waiting.... :drooling:

Will i regret an X800 purchase with the 6800's 16pipe lines and its PS 3.0 support? Dont fancy in a months time thinking "Damn, wish id waited now".

Thoughts? :)

jbirney
05-18-04, 08:16 AM
You will get faster perfromance today in Farcry. Will support for PS3.0 make that much of a difference? Who knows. Why not get the X800 NOW. Then if in a few months and if PS3.0 really does make that much you can allways sell the X800 pro....

mikechai
05-18-04, 08:18 AM
Get the 6800U next week OR buy the X800Pro now, return it and get the 6800 later.

smeagol
05-18-04, 10:26 AM
(aaa)

Why not wait a few weeks more and get a X800XT? Uber performance and very good IQ. And it fits in one slot with less power consumption (if that is important for you)

Kamel
05-18-04, 10:41 AM
well, from what i've seen, the two cards are right side by side as far as performance goes, so the only thing to go on really is price, stability, etc.

as a personal preference, i would most definitely wait it out for the 6800; because i think nvidia provides a far superior driver to ati.

i guess that just goes down to your personal preference. some people like amd, some like intel. some people like nvidia, some like ati. /me shruggs

Unit01
05-18-04, 11:52 AM
Well since you're biased towards nvidia just go for the 6800U and skip the X800Pro and X800XT. What's the price difference between the X800Pro you can get now and the expected 6800U launch price?

D.K.Tronics
05-18-04, 12:02 PM
Why not be like me, and have a change ? :)

I've been with ATI for over a year now, and just fancy a change.
Plus, I have a feeling that you'll be able to play with PS3, sooner than anyone thinks.
Did you see Jakup's Farcry vid ?
And thats just for starters.
Imagine if the community gets hold of PS3, and we start to see some wonderful demos released ?
Or up and coming patches for various games. :drooling:

RobHague
05-18-04, 03:11 PM
Yeah, i dunno. Its not actually from a shop btw - its through some auctions on ebay. Some peeps in the US are selling them off but will ship to the UK (and send it as a GIFT to avoid VAT).

Im tempted, id love to go NVIDIA but i keep hearing rumours that the cards might not ship till the end of next month! I suppose i can grab it, see how it goes and then if the 6800 tempts me sell the X800 on and grab one of those :)...

How well does WinMe work on that system btw D.K.Tronics hehe.

bkswaney
05-18-04, 03:29 PM
Rob... I'm grabbing a X800Pro till the 6800u's get out on the market good.
The prices will drop a bit to. ;)

RobHague
05-18-04, 03:31 PM
Cool....

Well then i may just purchase that X800 pro. :) I cant afford £400 this time, so i was either going to get an X800 PRO or a 6800 GT. The ultra are beyond what im willing to spend unfortunatley - I do want other stuff for my PC. ;)

schuey74
05-18-04, 03:54 PM
Looking at your sig I notice you have a 1280x1024 native lcd screen. Anything more than the X800 Pro is likely overkill. In Far Cry, likely the most demanding fps out there right now, my CPU (P4 3.0 @ 3.5) stops being the bottleneck only when 6xaa/16af are applied @ my native rez, also 1280x1024......every other setting benches at around 58/59 fps. At those max settings I get 48 fps so you can tell that the video card is just beginning to become the bottleneck.

hovz
05-18-04, 04:44 PM
IMO, the x800xt is the crowning jewl of this generation

Ruined
05-18-04, 04:53 PM
Will i regret an X800 purchase with the 6800's 16pipe lines and its PS 3.0 support? Dont fancy in a months time thinking "Damn, wish id waited now".

You could always buy the X800 now and find out in a months time when the FarCry SM3.0 expansion comes out if you "wish you waited" or not ;)

D.K.Tronics
05-18-04, 04:58 PM
How well does WinMe work on that system btw D.K.Tronics hehe.

If you can imagine XP with 1.5 Gb of memory, and all the Themes turned off, then you'll get a good idea. ;)

The only real problem is a complete lack of IDE drivers for the Nforce 2, that NVidia STILL refuses to release.
Shame really, because a tweaked WinME, runs games about 10 fps better than XP, especially Farcry which runs better in WinME than it does in XP. Albeit, on catalyst 4.3 only, as thats where ATI stopped.

I don't think we'll find out whose king, until a few months from now, when both companies have proper drivers out. Oh, and hardware, lol.

muzz
05-18-04, 05:02 PM
Most folks never use the NV IDE drivers anyways, as they cause problems, especially burning.
I used them the first time I loaded my first NF2 board, and never again.

Seems to me like they can't write an IDE driver to save their lives.
At least MS can do that.

grimreefer
05-18-04, 05:05 PM
evga 6800. They have a trade in program,so even if u make a bad choice, u could get store credit for a new(er) nvidia card(nv45 possibly). 6800gt when overclocked outperforms stock 6800 ultra extreme. Just thought ud like to know. 6800gt+vantec spectrum card cooler= overclocking ownage. x800pro doesnt get much gains from overclocking cause of 12 pipes.

Blacklash
05-18-04, 05:07 PM
The fact is nine out of ten people would have a great card regardless of choice. I want to watch SM3.0 interact with DX9.0c as soon as possible and watch the whole thing develope. I think the 6800u puts up some amazing numbers for a card clocked at 400mhz. As far as contrasting it with the X800Xt I will be going back and looking for more reviews with 4XAA and 'brilinear' on the Nvidia vs the Ati product in light of recent events.

That being said, the X800series is a high performance, high efficiency product. I think Ati has done an outstanding job with the cards and that they would be money well spent.

In the end you will need to decide what is important to you and go from there. I don't think it would be a 'mistake' to buy either product. They both have their strengths and weaknesses.

In all honesty, if you want to update and simply can't decide, flip a quarter, you will do fine either way.

EDIT: As Grim said, if you go Nvidia you may wish the Evga being that you have three full months to 'upgrade' it to another card, if a better version pops up.

D.K.Tronics
05-18-04, 05:10 PM
Thing is Muzz, XP actually has a decent driver of it's own. I use it rather than NVidia's, as the problems just aren't worth the hassle, like (as you say) CD/DVD burning.
But in WinME, there isn't a decent driver to replace the lack of an NVidia one.
The one thats there, constantly locks WinME, at random times, with anything IDE related. Open an explorer window, open a folder, etc... it just locks solid, but randomly.
If you turn off DMA, then it works a treat, but very slow.
This appears to validate the claims that NForce 2 boards don't do DMA in 16 bit environments like DOS/Win.

grimreefer
05-18-04, 05:13 PM
EDIT: As Grim said you if you go Nvidia you may wish the Evga being that you have three full months to 'upgrade' it to another card, if a better version pops up.
512mb 6800 comin soon :clap:

jAkUp
05-18-04, 05:26 PM
At first I wanted the x800Xt... but after playing FarCry with SM3.0... I was so impressed that I am willing to buy a 6800 Ultra if those effects aren't capable on an X800XT.

D.K.Tronics
05-18-04, 05:43 PM
At first I wanted the x800Xt... but after playing FarCry with SM3.0... I was so impressed that I am willing to buy a 6800 Ultra if those effects aren't capable on an X800XT

And get yourself your deserved 5 minutes of fame ;)
Man, you are everywhere, and much discussed about.
I don't think I've visited a forum, yet, that hasn't mentioned you in some form or another.
And remember, we heard it all here first. :D

Riptide
05-18-04, 05:52 PM
At first I wanted the x800Xt... but after playing FarCry with SM3.0... I was so impressed that I am willing to buy a 6800 Ultra if those effects aren't capable on an X800XT.
Wow really? I saw your video and quite honestly I don't understand what the hype is all about. Sure, those rocks on the beach look cool but not THAT cool. It sure isn't what I would call a revolutionary difference, more like a minor improvement to me. But hey, just MO... ;)

Riptide
05-18-04, 05:53 PM
And get yourself your deserved 5 minutes of fame ;)
Man, you are everywhere, and much discussed about.
I don't think I've visited a forum, yet, that hasn't mentioned you in some form or another.
And remember, we heard it all here first. :D
I want jAkUp's e-autograph! :D

muzz
05-18-04, 06:30 PM
Thing is Muzz, XP actually has a decent driver of it's own. I use it rather than NVidia's, as the problems just aren't worth the hassle, like (as you say) CD/DVD burning.
But in WinME, there isn't a decent driver to replace the lack of an NVidia one.
The one thats there, constantly locks WinME, at random times, with anything IDE related. Open an explorer window, open a folder, etc... it just locks solid, but randomly.
If you turn off DMA, then it works a treat, but very slow.
This appears to validate the claims that NForce 2 boards don't do DMA in 16 bit environments like DOS/Win.

That blows D.K., TBO i wasn't aware that NV had crappy drivers in Me also, I guess I never thought of it as I use Xp and 2k.

If I were you I wouldn't get my hopes up regarding a new IDE driver, as that board has been out for awhile now, they have made a ton of $, and they STILL don't have a properly working IDE driver.
IMO that is THE blemish on their VVG ( the best IMO) AMD socket A product.

D.K.Tronics
05-18-04, 06:53 PM
IMO that is THE blemish on their VVG ( the best IMO) AMD socket A product

I agree. And I've been soo tempted to just throw in a via KT600 board, as I know it's IDE drivers are soo much better than NVidia's.
Out of the KT600 machines I've built, only a few kept up with the NForce 2 boards. But it's the superior memory controller of the Nforce 2 boards, that keep me with them. That, and the locked AGP+PCI Bus, that enables some totally mad overclocking.