PDA

View Full Version : Duron 950 Temp Problem

BigE4u
05-18-04, 06:22 PM
Are durons naturaly "hot" performers? im redoing a friends system and its using an oversized aluminum heatsink with a 60x60x10 size fan running at 5000rpm. I removed the TIN pad on the heatsink, cleaned with alcohol and rubbed in some AS3 then wiped clean. I cleaned the cpu die with alcohol, dried then applied thin coat of AS3 and slapped on HSF. Before and after temps are still @ 49c/idle... i've also noticed the heatsink is very hot to the touch as well and im sure the cpu to heatsink contact is consistant, is this normal? I remember going through this with a K6/2-500mhz system i had a long time ago, it ran blistering hot too.

Ps- Here is a pic of the HSF being used...

{Sniping}Waste
05-18-04, 06:52 PM
Are durons naturaly "hot" performers? im redoing a friends system and its using an oversized aluminum heatsink with a 60x60x10 size fan running at 5000rpm. I removed the TIN pad on the heatsink, cleaned with alcohol and rubbed in some AS3 then wiped clean. I cleaned the cpu die with alcohol, dried then applied thin coat of AS3 and slapped on HSF. Before and after temps are still @ 49c/idle... i've also noticed the heatsink is very hot to the touch as well and im sure the cpu to heatsink contact is consistant, is this normal? I remember going through this with a K6/2-500mhz system i had a long time ago, it ran blistering hot too.

Ps- Here is a pic of the HSF being used...
Try a better HSF and see if it helps. Some of the HSF made from alumaulm are very poor grades and traps heat and not release it. The 950 durons are spitfire cores on .18 micron. With a normal HSF, it should idel at about 35c to 40c so there is something wrong with that HSF.

BigE4u
05-18-04, 07:17 PM
I just remembered i have a "Copper Pro Gamers HSF" from CompUSA laying around made for socket370/socketA cpus, supports up to 2.4ghz... im going to give it a try later on and see what happens. Btw, the case its in isn't so hot, it doesn't have any intake or exhaust fans to help get rid of some of the heat even though its a mid tower case. There is a place on the inside backside of the case for one 80mm fan i can use as an exhaust but to help the airflow, i will have to cut out the middle perforated area and install a grill on the outside.

Ps- Heres a couple of pics of BEFORE(some guy) and AFTER(me). Im telling my friend to never let "that" friend build them another. He did such a half fast job, sloppy and he didn't even fasten down the other side of the drives. :bash:

BigE4u
05-18-04, 09:24 PM
As you can see from the "after" pic, airflow shouldn't be a problem but unfortunately even with the Copper gamers HSF... its still @ 49c/idle. I haven't tried running it with the side panel off because this person won't run it with the computer open anyways. Kind of funny, i have a P3-1ghz socket370 system with a copper gamers fan in a midtower case and it sits comfortable @ 35c/idle in a 88f room temp. Maybe i'll try it one more time with the side panel off and see if theres a difference, if there is... maybe putting that 80mm fan as an exhaust might help. If your wondering what motherboard its in, its an ECS K7VMM+(onboard video/sound/lan) with nothing else in the slots besides a generic 300watt psu, HP cdrw, a Maxtor 80gig 7200rpm HD, 512mb pc133 and a floppy drive. I've got WinXP_Pro installed in it and its running great... all except for the heat issue of course.

Rytr
05-18-04, 09:48 PM
You should get the temps down to somewhere between 38-42C at idle for the Duron. That way max temps should stay under 55C. Maybe try a high performance 60mm fan to see if you can cool the heatsink. If it gets the temps down then you can go to an 80mm HSF to get the noise under control. Or, just go with an 80mm HSF.

BigE4u
05-19-04, 12:30 AM
Believe me... i'd like to get the idle temps down at least 30c-35c, depending on room temperature of course. But it lQQks like its just not going to happen with this one for some reason. I was checking out a possible BIOS update from the ECS website but theres no mention of a temp problem or a fix, so im outta luck there. I wonder if and or when cpu's are ready to take a flying leap off the big end, it pulls a "im going to fry myself to death" scenario? :screwy:

Rytr
05-19-04, 12:45 AM
If I understand you correctly, I would not worry about it as long as the system is stable...just put in an 80mm exhaust fan to get rid of heat buildup in the case and let it go.

BigE4u
05-19-04, 01:52 AM
Oh its stable as hell... i just don't like those temps for a 950mhz cpu regardless of manufacturer. All i was trying to do was figure out a way to remedy it.

Dazz
05-19-04, 02:19 AM
Yeap you really do need an intake out and out take fan.