PDA

View Full Version : When will GeForce 6800 cards be available?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Pantherman
05-18-04, 06:02 PM
I'm a FRUSTRATED GeForce FX owner who can't wait to dump this piece of trash onto the nearest dumpster and plug in a GeForce 6800 into my AGP slot.
There's no doubt the FX series was a downer for Nvidia that cost the company a lot of prestige and lost the performance crown to ATI. From what I've read, Nvidia has made a real comeback with the 6800 series. I'd like to get a 6800 GT, but the Ultra may be out first. Have any cards been released yet. I've been to CompUSA and BB and haven't seen anything but older FX cards. As if I'd really want an FX 5200. That's a real piece of crap. :screwy:

john19055
05-18-04, 06:21 PM
All I keep hearing is sometime in June.,I wish they would give a date that we no for sure when it is comeing out or be available.

Caliche
05-18-04, 06:30 PM
I'm feelin the same pain. To me it seems like Nvidia is losing possible head way in the battle to retake the crown. They launch the product earlier than Ati, saying they should have product out by mid-May and now it is mid-May and nothing, just news here and there. Now people across forums on the internet are saying that the product will drop June. Some ppl are saying the end of June which is a long wait. But there could be a catch where Nvidia partners end up bundling their new card with Doom 3 which is excepted to come out in July or maybe Half-Life 2. I just hope they get their D@W^ product out before June.

Caliche

grimreefer
05-18-04, 06:54 PM
6800 ultra will come out first, but u have to hold out for the awesome 6800gt. when overclocked, faster than 6800 ultra overclocked

Pantherman
05-18-04, 06:54 PM
I'll probably get a 6800 GT. My CPU is underpowered, so I don't think it would be worth getting a 6800 Ultra anyway.

Jarred
05-18-04, 06:58 PM
I'll probably get a 6800 GT. My CPU is underpowered, so I don't think it would be worth getting a 6800 Ultra anyway.

wow it's not really that underpowered dude, 2.4 is pretty good.

Blacklash
05-18-04, 07:04 PM
By all accounts I am hearing 29th of May/first week of June. You are correct that the 6800 and the 6800u will be out first. The GT is said to be mid june unless they have stepped it up. It would be nice if the Evga 6800u showed up the 24th of this month, but I am not holding my breath. Last I heard Evga has asserted their cards will definitely be out by the 29th. I am unsure if this is a shipping to retailer date, or actual shelf available date.

You could buy the 6800(12pipe 128/256mb) from evga then use their upgrade program(3month window) to get the GT, viola!

grimreefer
05-18-04, 07:19 PM
wow it's not really that underpowered dude, 2.4 is pretty good.
IT HAS A 400 FSB. no offence

Ruined
05-18-04, 07:26 PM
http://www.gameve.com/gve/store/ProductDetails.aspx?sku=VC-EVGA-6800

eVGA 6800 Ultra
ETA 5/27/04

Caliche
05-18-04, 07:28 PM
From my view and readings of past Nvidia products, I wouldn't be surprised to see the 6800 ultra go past 500mhz when overclocked. I believe that one of the best things going for the 6800 is the extra molex connector so you can pump in alot of extra power when u need it. Unlike the X800 which only has one molex connector. Put a watercooling block on the 6800 and you would be rollin. from what I've heard the 6800 can go up to 600mhz. I definitely believe the 6800 ultra can go to that speed. With aircooling probably not, but with watercooling, most likely. Be interesting to see what ppl do.

Caliche

Pantherman
05-18-04, 08:07 PM
I don't know if my PS can take a GeForce 6800 Ultra. I know my CPU would definitely hold me back. I tries to put a 2.8GHz 533MHz FSB CPU into my system, but it wouldn't boot. I'm stuck with the 2.4GHz 400MHz FSB CPU. I can still play games O.K. The GeForce 6800 GT looks like the card for me. Anything's better than this 5900. Hey, the X800 Pro is available NOW!!!!!!! Funny how Nvidia launched first, but next-generation ATI cards are available today.

grimreefer
05-18-04, 08:19 PM
From my view and readings of past Nvidia products, I wouldn't be surprised to see the 6800 ultra go past 500mhz when overclocked. I believe that one of the best things going for the 6800 is the extra molex connector so you can pump in alot of extra power when u need it. Unlike the X800 which only has one molex connector. Put a watercooling block on the 6800 and you would be rollin. from what I've heard the 6800 can go up to 600mhz. I definitely believe the 6800 ultra can go to that speed. With aircooling probably not, but with watercooling, most likely. Be interesting to see what ppl do.

Caliche
500 mghz, 600mhz?
the best of them will do 440

grimreefer
05-18-04, 08:26 PM
I'm a FRUSTRATED GeForce FX owner who can't wait to dump this piece of trash onto the nearest dumpster and plug in a GeForce 6800 into my AGP slot.
There's no doubt the FX series was a downer for Nvidia that cost the company a lot of prestige and lost the performance crown to ATI. From what I've read, Nvidia has made a real comeback with the 6800 series. I'd like to get a 6800 GT, but the Ultra may be out first. Have any cards been released yet. I've been to CompUSA and BB and haven't seen anything but older FX cards. As if I'd really want an FX 5200. That's a real piece of crap. :screwy:
have u tried selling ur 5900. First flash it, then sell it as a 5950. a little unethical :)

Socos
05-18-04, 08:41 PM

Caliche
Would like to see a link to that being that no cards have even been sold yet.. If your going off hand picked review boards you might be in for a unpleasent suprise when you get your retail card and slap a piece of dry ice on it only to find your 520W PSU isn't enough... They were saying that just to go to 450 on that thing they recommended a 520 watt PSU... :lame:

bkswaney
05-18-04, 08:41 PM
I feel your pain man.

I need a card BAD. I'm using a buddies GF3 right now.
Sure wish I had not sold my 9800 so soon.

I may end up getting a X800Pro and just get
a 6800u in the fall when prices drop a bit.
But there is no way I'm paying 400+ for a Pro.
Some are going to sell them for 340. So
I'm stuck waiting on ati's partners to get
there cards to market or one of nvidia's
to get the 6800's to market.
I think the 6800GT sounds good. I may get one of those.
The new 3.54Ghz Prescott just cost me 180 so really
I need a 400 buck or less card.

jAkUp
05-18-04, 08:43 PM
Evga said they should have the cards in their warehouse tommorrow (5/19) so hopefully the wait isnt much longer

Rollo
05-18-04, 09:52 PM

Yeah you have it rough owning a better video card than 95% of the people on the planet.
:screwy:

Pantherman
05-18-04, 10:24 PM
What do you mean, 95%. I don't think the FX 5900 is better than a 5900 Ultra or 9700 Pro, 9800 Pro or X800, do you? How many people own those cards? A ton. They're gamers like me. Many have crap cards because they don't care about games. How many gamers have a better card than a 5900? I think most of them do. The FX line never should have been released. All it did was get smoked by ATI's R3xxx series. It also pissed off a lot of gamers like me. Face it, the FX SUCKS in DX 9. Nvidia has fixed this with the 6800 series.

Vengeance
05-19-04, 04:07 AM
Yeah you have it rough owning a better video card than 95% of the people on the planet.

:lol2:

rewt
05-19-04, 05:28 AM
What do you mean, 95%. I don't think the FX 5900 is better than a 5900 Ultra or 9700 Pro, 9800 Pro or X800, do you?

Of course its not better than the x800 :rolleyes: but IMO it's still better than all the rest you mentioned, considering the 5900nu is only $200 and can perform just as well as the 5950u and 9800pro (after flash). I've played many games on the 9800pro, and was not impressed by any means. Makes me wonder where all the hype came from... fanATIcs I guess... My friends p4 2.8ghz 800fsb w/9800pro barely outperforms my system (see specs below). Now, to me, thats not worth all the extra money he spent on that system, but it does make me feel better when I think how much money I saved building mine :D

Gator
05-19-04, 06:27 AM

I don't wanna hijack yoour thread, and without a doubt ATI took the performance crown, and it definetly stinks the FX only has 4 pipelines or else it might have compete better... but damn man I think you're being a little harsh here. I honestly donot think the FX5900 is that bad a card, I'm actually quite pleased with mine. Try to think of it in terms as an upgrade from the previous FX5800 and GF4TI series, all of a sudden the FX5900 sounds pretty good right? I'd say the card was a natural progression, it's just that it was too little too late. Nvidia essentially released the goods slower than ATI this time, but I wouldn't call their card a piece of trash. It's good... ATI just did it better.

Anyway, to answer your question it's only a matter of weeks now.

nutball
05-19-04, 06:37 AM
What do you mean, 95%. I don't think the FX 5900 is better than a 5900 Ultra or 9700 Pro, 9800 Pro or X800, do you? How many people own those cards? A ton. They're gamers like me. Many have crap cards because they don't care about games. How many gamers have a better card than a 5900? I think most of them do.

This may be news to you but (hard-core) gamers are less than 5% of the market.

So even if all gamers have a card equal to or better than the 5900, any hard-core gamer has a better card than 95% of the rest of the market.

Rollo
05-19-04, 07:43 AM
What do you mean, 95%. I don't think the FX 5900 is better than a 5900 Ultra or 9700 Pro, 9800 Pro or X800, do you? How many people own those cards? A ton. They're gamers like me. Many have crap cards because they don't care about games. How many gamers have a better card than a 5900? I think most of them do. The FX line never should have been released. All it did was get smoked by ATI's R3xxx series. It also pissed off a lot of gamers like me. Face it, the FX SUCKS in DX 9. Nvidia has fixed this with the 6800 series.

Oh no. A year old video card suxorz at DX and there's three whole DX9 games it suxorz at! The jihad must begin! Death to nVidia!

LOL, you have issues if your card sux because after a whole year there a game or two it doesn't play well.

nForceMan
05-19-04, 07:57 AM
Face it, the FX SUCKS in DX 9. Nvidia has fixed this with the 6800 series.
Face it, the R3xx SUCKS in OpenGL (not to mention its inferior/flawed/cheating AF, alpha blending and drivers). ATI hasn't fixed this with the X800 series.

Caliche
05-19-04, 08:56 AM
Well the thread is basically hijacked! But getting back to the original forum question. I have look far and wide for the 6800 Ultra on the internet and really only European sites are allowing pre-ordering of any magnitude. Some in the US granted. As far as pushing 600MHZ on a 6800 Ultra card definitely, I believe. While it may seem wild and to ambitious, it will come true down the road, from my vision. The architecture may still be to young to do it and the drivers will have to be optimized more but I def. think it will happen. Though only time will tell and we'll have to wait and see what the NV45 awaits.

Caliche