PDA

View Full Version : quick question re GeForce Go cards

Agent_J
05-19-04, 04:05 PM
Does anyone know if the regular drivers will work with notebook GeForce Go cards and if not, are there any programs to mod the regular drivers so that they do work?

saturnotaku
05-19-04, 04:30 PM
Read this thread. Lots of info there.

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=1888&highlight=GeForce4+440

Agent_J
05-19-04, 04:37 PM
Check out the sticky topic at the D-Force driver forum (http://www.envynews.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=29) to see how to get the latest NVIDIA driver releases to work properly on Toshiba/non-Dell notebooks.
what should i do if I have Dell notebook :o?

saturnotaku
05-19-04, 04:45 PM
My old laptop was a Dell with the GeForce4 440 Go. I force-installed the drivers as a GeForce4 MX 440. No magic, no alterations. It worked with each and every driver set I tried.

What chipset is your laptop?

Agent_J
05-19-04, 06:55 PM
it's a GeForce FX 5200 Go, so I assume it's the same drivers as the 5200 for desktop?

saturnotaku
05-19-04, 10:17 PM
The reference NVIDIA drivers do not contain support for mobile chips. Re-read that thread I linked to to see how to force-install the reference drivers. You would want to select the GeForce FX 5200 to trick Windows into installing those drivers.

Agent_J
05-19-04, 10:53 PM
If you have a UXGA screen (1600x1200 native resolution) you need not do any editing of the .inf file because this resolution is supported by the GF4 MX. Since this is what you have (according to your signature anyway) you need not do any editing of the .inf file.

Download the 40.71 drivers from any number of web sites (Google is your friend) out there. If you have Winzip installed, right click on the file and select "extract to folder." Boot your system into safe mode and uninstall your previous drivers via control panel-add/remove programs. Reboot your system and when it brings up the new hardware wizard, cancel out of it.

Go into device manager and select your display adapter (should be standard PCI VGA display adapter). Select that device and and manually install the driver, pointing the wizard at the folder to where you extracted the 40.71 drivers. Also, make sure the "select compatible hardware" box is not checked so you will have the option of selecting the GeForce4 MX 440.
Ok thanks saturnotaku

also, from that thread, are the D-Force drivers still being developed?

saturnotaku
05-19-04, 11:23 PM
are the D-Force drivers still being developed?

Don't think so. But IIRC, there are a couple sites that have picked up the slack and they have created special .inf files which will correctly identify your chip as an FX Go. You'd have to Google it to make sure. You simply replace the normal nv4_disp.inf with the modified one.

theultimo
05-25-04, 10:57 PM
Force installations of 5600 work for me here.