PDA

View Full Version : Good Mobo for AMD64.3400

Jarred
05-19-04, 11:02 PM
???

saturnotaku
05-19-04, 11:48 PM
Anything based on the nForce3 250 chipset will do you just fine. MSI boards tend to be very good (though their NF3 250 isn't out yet) and the Gigabyte model which is out now looks to have both parallel and serial ATA RAID.

Jarred
05-20-04, 03:37 PM
Anything based on the nForce3 250 chipset will do you just fine. MSI boards tend to be very good (though their NF3 250 isn't out yet) and the Gigabyte model which is out now looks to have both parallel and serial ATA RAID.

someone was stating to stay away fro ma particular giga mobo that didn't have firewall,

theres so many naming terms that are used to describe a mobo that I get confused,

do you have links to any of those particular motherboards ?

thanx a bunch dude.

Gator
05-21-04, 06:36 AM
if you want the builtin firewall, you need to find a motherboard with the Nforce 250GB. But there currently are no GB models available for sale. If you wanna wait a month or so, then maybe we can recommend some boards with it for sale. If you don't wanna wait, then get the Gigabyte Nforce3 250 and be done with it. Still want a firewall but don't wanna wait for the 250GB? Then buy a seperate hardware firewall/router - only advantage being it'll provide protection for ALL pc's in your home, not just the Nforce3 250 computer.

|JuiceZ|
05-21-04, 07:28 AM
if you want the builtin firewall, you need to find a motherboard with the Nforce 250GB. But there currently are no GB models available for sale. If you wanna wait a month or so, then maybe we can recommend some boards with it for sale. If you don't wanna wait, then get the Gigabyte Nforce3 250 and be done with it. Still want a firewall but don't wanna wait for the 250GB? Then buy a seperate hardware firewall/router - only advantage being it'll provide protection for ALL pc's in your home, not just the Nforce3 250 computer.

correct. As of right now, the Gigabyte is the best non-GB nf3 250 mb availible, especially w/ its excellent raid capabilities. (Check around the nforcershq (http://www.nforcershq.com) & amdmb (http://www.amdmb.com) forums) If you want it all though, you'll have to wait a couple more weeks w/ me for the MSI & ASUS K8N mbs to go on sale.

Jarred
05-21-04, 11:58 PM

I'll be purcahasing my new machine in about a month maybe less from now. So maybe it will end up being perfect timing...

|JuiceZ|
05-24-04, 02:52 PM
Also the perf diff between the a64 3200+ & 3400+ is so neligible it really doesn't justify the price especially since both are equipped w/ 1mb L2cache, you'll basically be paying an extra $100 for 200mhz. IMO it would be much better to save the cash, grab the a64 3200+ and o'c it 2.2Ghz.

Jarred
05-24-04, 03:50 PM
Also the perf diff between the a64 3200+ & 3400+ is so neligible it really doesn't justify the price especially since both are equipped w/ 1mb L2cache, you'll basically be paying an extra $100 for 200mhz. IMO it would be much better to save the cash, grab the a64 3200+ and o'c it 2.2Ghz.

hmmm... money really isn't an issue with this purchase, (well not 100bucks)
I'm not saying I'm willing to spend 5grand on a machine, but I'm willing to spend 2500, I'm already saving a load by putting it together myself.

so, I'm noticing that in the link below theres only a Chaintech nvidia board...

http://www.directron.com/754mb.html

is that board any good? anyone have any issues with Chaintech? I was hoping to go with MSI but haven't been able to find it yet...

saturnotaku
05-24-04, 04:13 PM
Newegg.com has some nForce3 250 boards in stock - 2 Chaintechs and 1 Gigabyte.

Jarred
05-24-04, 04:32 PM
Newegg.com has some nForce3 250 boards in stock - 2 Chaintechs and 1 Gigabyte.

Does MSI make them? ....Whats better, Gibabyte or Chaintech? I've never used both of them, I just want something reliable.

saturnotaku
05-24-04, 04:47 PM
Does MSI make them? ....Whats better, Gibabyte or Chaintech? I've never used both of them, I just want something reliable.

MSI will, it's just not out yet.

Far as quality goes, it's hit or miss with any manufacturer. If you've had good luck with MSI in the past, wait until their boards are available and purchase one as long as it has all the features you're looking for.

My personal affinity is towards Abit, but I'm open to anything. The basic/cheaper Chaintech NF3 250 looks really good. I don't need all that fancy stuff, just a good board that works.

Jarred
05-24-04, 05:32 PM
MSI will, it's just not out yet.

Far as quality goes, it's hit or miss with any manufacturer. If you've had good luck with MSI in the past, wait until their boards are available and purchase one as long as it has all the features you're looking for.

My personal affinity is towards Abit, but I'm open to anything. The basic/cheaper Chaintech NF3 250 looks really good. I don't need all that fancy stuff, just a good board that works.

ok, will do, thanx a bunch dude.