PDA

View Full Version : About to order an Albatron 6800 Ultra

Pages : [1] 2

Lfctony
05-21-04, 05:28 PM
I finally decided on which way I will go this round. Tomorrow morning, I will order myself an Albatron 6800 Ultra, for £414 CYP (half a month's salary) I could import one from the UK for £360 CYP, but then I lose the 3-Year warranty offered, and it will be delayed anyway, since I have to wait for it to be in stock, then my order to go through, then shipped etc etc. Plus, I've been saving for quite a while, and though I did expect the card to cost less, its not that much of a difference. I prefer the warranty etc.

I have been re-reading the reviews, and except the fact that ATI lands clean wins only in a few games, Nvidia leads clearly in the OpenGL department. Plus they've fixed their AA algorithm, offering much better AA quality.

Comments anyone? :rolleyes:

grimreefer
05-21-04, 05:32 PM
r u sure u dont wanna a gt?

Ady
05-21-04, 05:35 PM

I think waiting until it's out is a better idea, unless it is a really attractive offer $$ wise.

zoomy942
05-21-04, 05:36 PM
i might think of a gt is i were you since it will be the wolf in sheep's clothing of video cards. but what u r getting is a great one! i wish i could save that much, but i like buying things too much! like LCD monitors.

and nvidia has always been the sh*t with opengl. and everyone says frmaes persecond this and image quality that... get what you like buddy, they both perform very similiar!!

Lfctony
05-21-04, 05:38 PM
I can't wait till middle-late June. Bleh, I can't even wait one week! :bash:

grimreefer
05-21-04, 05:40 PM
yd u chose albatron(not that theres anything wrong with that)? just wondering since evga should come out first..

ClosetFanBoy
05-21-04, 05:40 PM
yea i have a comment - i nV you! im at a tossup between bfg, albatron and gainward. only beacuse i have used their cards in the past and they are imo the best performers. i am looking at the asus board but i know squat about them. im going to wait till the beginning of july -yes very painful- to make my order.

why did you decide on albatron? the warranty? or have you used their stuff in the past?

Ady
05-21-04, 05:41 PM
I can't wait till middle-late June. Bleh, I can't even wait one week! :P

lol! I hear what you're saying, but you're going to have to wait anyway. I'd rather wait before ordering/buying than wait for it to be shipped, that always drives me crazy. I end up camping by the door.

Lfctony
05-21-04, 05:42 PM
We don't get eVga here. We have Asus, Sparkle, MSI, Aopen, Albatron, PoV, XFX and Chaintech. I've used Albatron before, and its coming here first so...

Lfctony
05-21-04, 05:44 PM
lol! I hear what you're saying, but you're going to have to wait anyway. I'd rather wait before ordering/buying than wait for it to be shipped, that always drives me crazy. I end up camping by the door.

I know they can bring me one from abroad in one week, thats my waiting. I think Albatron has started shipping, they said week 21, they've had some delays and we are currently in week 23 or so.

ClosetFanBoy
05-21-04, 05:46 PM
well good for you bro. im going to be eagerly awaiting your comments. :)

Lfctony
05-21-04, 05:47 PM
I'll be writing a review as well. I'll be pimping it when I'm done! :)

Ruined
05-21-04, 06:21 PM
I finally decided on which way I will go this round. Tomorrow morning, I will order myself an Albatron 6800 Ultra, for £414 CYP (half a month's salary) I could import one from the UK for £360 CYP, but then I lose the 3-Year warranty offered, and it will be delayed anyway, since I have to wait for it to be in stock, then my order to go through, then shipped etc etc. Plus, I've been saving for quite a while, and though I did expect the card to cost less, its not that much of a difference. I prefer the warranty etc.

I have been re-reading the reviews, and except the fact that ATI lands clean wins only in a few games, Nvidia leads clearly in the OpenGL department. Plus they've fixed their AA algorithm, offering much better AA quality.

Tell us all about SM3.0 once it comes out :)

Blacklash
05-21-04, 08:41 PM
I wish you the best with it. Use the 60.72 drivers if you want tested approved drivers that can be set to full tri linear.

Play with it and test it. If it does not suit your needs, return it.

In my opinion, it should be a solid card capable of running any game you like. The 6800 has the new video chip, outstanding OGL, outstanding D3D, massively improved PS 2.0, SM 3.0, good linux support and full trilinear at your finger tips.

As far as reviews go be sure to look at games just using tests with 4XAA as well. That is the closest apples to apples you are going to get.Ati's adaptive filtering is on in all cases, and only Nvidia's improved brilinear can be fairly compared to that. For a 400mhz card vs another with a 30% clock advantage I think it has a heck of a showing.

Again, if it disappoints you, return it....

bkswaney
05-21-04, 10:16 PM
Best of luck man. I'm sure u will love it.. :D

I'm trying to hold out and get a GT. ;)
Let us know how things work out and how u like it.
Please give us benchmarks. :drooling:

mikechai
05-21-04, 10:29 PM
I'll be writing a review as well. I'll be pimping it when I'm done! :)

Thanks in advance!

Nv40
05-22-04, 12:28 AM
i think that it will be better if Nvidia request back all those 5 hundreds NV40's that they gave to developers at E3 ,and start selling those here at Nvnews.. :D DEvelopers can wait ... gamers not. :)

i wonder what kind of diference i will notice from a geforce4 :)

XanderF
05-22-04, 02:02 AM
for £414 CYP (half a month's salary) I could import one from the UK for £360 CYP, but then I lose the 3-Year warranty offered, and it will be delayed anyway

HALF A MONTH'S SALARY!?!?

ON A VIDEO CARD!?!?!

Gods, I hope you are living with your parents still! :retard:

I have a hard time mentally justifying spending TWO DAYS salary on a video card!

Snooka
05-22-04, 02:55 AM
I've been saving for a month already. I'm so ready. :clap:

Now I'm just waiting for nvidia... :mad:

Lfctony
05-22-04, 03:08 AM
I've been saving some money for the card, plus I have a second income by selling PCs, I sell a few parts every month and sometimes systems. The money isn't much, but its a welcome extra £100-200.

5150 Joker
05-22-04, 03:17 AM
I think waiting until it's out is a better idea, unless it is a really attractive offer $$ wise.

Yep, I've pretty much decided on a 6800 GT. Once its out in June I'll be grabbing it. Was gonna get an 800 XT but after looking at multiple reviews I think an o/c'd 6800 GT is the best way to go for the $.

smeagol
05-22-04, 08:27 AM
Yep, I've pretty much decided on a 6800 GT. Once its out in June I'll be grabbing it. Was gonna get an 800 XT but after looking at multiple reviews I think an o/c'd 6800 GT is the best way to go for the $.

Let's just hope that real live performance is the same as the reviews on the net. Sure hope NV does not pull another Extreme stunt

OWA
05-22-04, 09:49 AM
What stunt is that? You can preorder an extreme from Gainward and I think a couple of others will be offering them as well.

Edit: It might have been just a Gainward ad for the extreme that I saw and not a preorder. I'm currently looking for links...

Drumphil
05-22-04, 09:56 AM
:D wish i had that much money to spend on a new GFX card right now. I imagine we will know you got it when you stop posting for a week to play far cry again from the top with everything turned right up at 1600x1200 with 8xAA.

NightFire
05-22-04, 11:25 AM
Man, I'm really inVidious of you.
Oh well, I guess I'll just wait until July to get mine...

edit: Dang it, Closet! I came up with that envy thing two weeks ago and was looking for a chance to use it. Guess you jumped me:)