PDA

View Full Version : peltier cooler questions

Kamel
05-23-04, 02:47 AM
hello everyone. i've got an air-cooled overclocked PC, it's an xp 2500+ overclocked to 3200+ (not sure if it's locked or not? sorry, i'm an overclocking newb, lol). i want some better cooling for a possible better overclock, or just to have better cooling (hopefully in turn increasing the life of my processor). i really am not sure how to do this without water cooling; except for peltier air cooling.

what i was wanting to know is if i could simply get a peltier cooler pad and put it between my processor and heatsink with no problems, or do i have to meet a certain criteria first? also, i was wanting to know if it's necessary to get a "cold plate", like mentioned here: http://www.xoxide.com/dadenma4coco.html . i currently have a thermaltake silent boost HSF.

from what i can figure out by context clues, i think the pletier air cooler simply cools the processor by transferring the heat to the top of the peltier air cooler so that the heatsink is warmer, causing more heat to exhaust. please correct me if i'm wrong though, heh.

if someone would be so kind as to answer any of these questions, or possibly explain the whole peltier thing to me, i'd really appreciate it.

Kamel
05-23-04, 12:01 PM
i did a lot of googling, and i understand what peltier does now. i just need to know basically if it's practical to use it on my comp with my setup, or will it be basically a lost cause. a heat sink upgrade is a possibility, but i currently have good temps, so i'm hoping that isn't necessary. the main reason i ask is because the reviews and such claim that you must have a lot of surface area contact with the processor to be effective, but none of them mention AMD processors (the contact area as far as i can tell is very small, but i suppose that's a relative term). it also worries me that i hardly ever hear about them, heh.

i've got a motherboard that shuts off in the event of high heat, so if my fan fails i'm not worried. a lot of places warn that with peltier you will fry your proc if the fan fails.

Nutty
05-23-04, 12:22 PM
Whatever happens keep us informed please. I have same setup as you, Barton 2500@3200 with a Silent Boost, and in this hot weather I come close to triggering my cpu temp alarm off..

Dont have a clue when it comes to peltiers tho..

Rampant CL
05-24-04, 07:58 AM
afaik it would work fine as long as you insulate all areas where condensation could occur, however, for the price of a peltier and all required equipment you could get a low end water system - so its up to you. If needed, check out the premade peltier kits, i think thermaltake made one, ill look into it. These kits ahve everything you need in them (supposedly)

saturnotaku
05-24-04, 09:02 AM
If you're new to alternative cooling solutions, I wouldn't get a peltier. Start out with a water cooling kit. Swiftech makes some excellent ones, and I think GlobalWin makes an inexpensive one that installs just like an air-powered HSF.

UDawg
05-24-04, 06:53 PM
afaik it would work fine as long as you insulate all areas where condensation could occur, however, for the price of a peltier and all required equipment you could get a low end water system - so its up to you. If needed, check out the premade peltier kits, i think thermaltake made one, ill look into it. These kits ahve everything you need in them (supposedly)

Ramp is correct. For the price you pay for a peltier set up you can get a low end but nice water cooled system.

Koolance is a really good way to go if you want a pre-installed and low end water cooling system.

Condensation is the biggest reason I won't go peltier.

saturnotaku
05-24-04, 09:13 PM
But we shouldn't forget that Gib would be dumb enough to run a pelt on his wee 'lil P4. :p

Kamel
05-25-04, 01:41 AM
lmao... alright, i suppose my question has been answered.

i appreciate the replies.

do you have any suggestions for a *cheap* water cooling kit? the cheapest ones i could find were up in the $100's, and they did not look effective at all (blowing air on water that then cools the processor... isn't that basically the same thing as air cooling the processor, just using a middle man?)

either way, i'd like to know the best way to improve my system cooling. it's not necessary, but definitely something i want to do.

i guess another argument would be "water cooling looks cooler" lol.

Rampant CL
05-25-04, 06:26 AM
Hate to dissapoint you but watercooling is pretty much air blowing on a radiator to cool water being pumped past a cpu.

If theres some sort of active cooling on the water then its a waterchilling kit, and has the same problems as peltiers in that you need to insulate a lot of your pc.

I would go with a koolance or swiftech setup, they seem to be consistent. Danger den are also good, but a bit higher end.

Some sites if your in the states are

www.directron.com
www.frozencpu.com

directron have good prices, frozen are quite likely the most expensive but also have the best stuff.

As for overall prices, the cheapest you can get is that green self containted setup, i forget who makes it, oh, global win silent stream - thats the one. Its by far the cheapest but its effective, if you want better then either cobble one together yourself or buy a kit, but your looking at over $100 for everything apart from the global win setup.

UDawg
05-25-04, 03:51 PM
http://www.koolance.com/
http://www.swiftnets.com/

These two links are to the makers of a couple of WCing systems.
Ramp, linked you to frozencpu.com. I really like them. I have had no
problems with my purchases from them and they have a very big selection
of water cooling systems.

I will say koolance water cooling systems are low end but they have exactly what you need in a all in one system.

http://www.koolance.com/products/images/pc2-650bk_02.jpg

Disclaimer: again I am not saying they are the best, only that they will give you a nice product for a decient price and very little set-up hassle.

DaveW
05-25-04, 06:27 PM
Peltiers actually produce heat, though its shifted to the hot side of the plate. This is why they can melt a cpu if your fan ever fails. I guess its safe aslong as your fan and mobo have RPM monitoring and your bios can alarm and switch the PC off if the CPU fan fails. There is also the danger of condensation moisture building up around the cooler, though I believe you have the same risk with water cooling or even extreme air cooling.

Still, Peltiers are efficient heat pumps, better than just using thermal goop. Let us know how it goes.