PDA

View Full Version : had a 6800 ultra preorder til i saw this

Pages : [1] 2

trolane
05-23-04, 06:31 AM
http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/default.aspx?EDC=646747

i'm so torn between the 2 cards at the moment. Do i chance nvidia 1 more time and get burned on a game like farcry a second time, but has ps 3.0 support and will actually use directx 9c ? or do i go for the ati which will give leet AA and AF at high resolutions but will be worthless in a year ?

other thing worrying me is i am not about to redo my power supply in my alienware for a video card. power supply is 420 watts so it should be ok but who the hell knows for sure. something had to give if nvidia changed requirements from 480 to 350 watts.

Evildeus
05-23-04, 06:57 AM
If your power supply is a good quality one, np, 480 is for power quality which sucks.
BTW no XT is supposed to ship before end of june...

AthlonXP1800
05-23-04, 07:45 AM
Nvidia already lowered power spec from 480W to 350W, in many reviews it ran fine with 350W. No need to worry about upgrade your power supply.

Lfctony
05-23-04, 09:06 AM
Here's how I based my decision:

Nvidia has SM3, so it has potential for better graphics at reasonable speed. IF and only IF SM3 games are too demanding for the card to handle , I can still disable some features and play it in SM2 mode, just like I would do if I had an X800 card.

The 2 cards can handle SM2 games just fine, but personally I don't want to pay $800 (our currency converted to USD) for faster SM2. My current card runs all games fine, I have the speed, I don't need anything more. This time I'm buying power and features, and the potential for better IQ.

Superfly
05-23-04, 09:49 AM
[QUOTE=Lfctony]Here's how I based my decision:

Nvidia has SM3, so it has potential for better graphics at reasonable speed. IF and only IF SM3 games are too demanding for the card to handle , I can still disable some features and play it in SM2 mode, just like I would do if I had an X800 card.

The 2 cards can handle SM2 games just fine, but personally I don't want to pay $800 (our currency converted to USD) for faster SM2. My current card runs all games fine, I have the speed, I don't need anything more. This time I'm buying power and features, and the potential for better IQ.[/QUOTE

AMEN]

walkndude
05-23-04, 10:32 AM
trolane=trolling, get it guys ?

EMunEeE
05-23-04, 10:50 AM
I do not really think you can base purchasing a video card on SM 3.0 when you haven't really seen games implementing SM 3.0 yet (same thing with SM 2.0).

walkndude
05-23-04, 10:54 AM
actually an individual can make a purchase decision based on whatever he or she wishes...

kev13dd
05-23-04, 01:57 PM
CDW has a typo, they will not be selling the XT for that price, heck, might not even be selling an XT at all

K

jAkUp
05-23-04, 02:51 PM
Not flaming here.. but could it be that nVidias card is slow again in PS2? I mean, look at the only "real" PS2 game we have... FarCry. The nVidia card gets demolished by the X800XT card, usually by 10fps or more, and FarCry is a TWIMTBP game! You would think that FarCry would run better on the 6800 Ultra. Sounds kinda fishy to me.

smeagol
05-23-04, 02:52 PM
trolane=trolling, get it guys ?
Seems a sincere question

Lfctony
05-23-04, 03:30 PM
Not flaming here.. but could it be that nVidias card is slow again in PS2? I mean, look at the only "real" PS2 game we have... FarCry. The nVidia card gets demolished by the X800XT card, usually by 10fps or more, and FarCry is a TWIMTBP game! You would think that FarCry would run better on the 6800 Ultra. Sounds kinda fishy to me.

How about HL2? Seems pretty fast there.

**Edit** I took a look at some Farcry benches as well, the 2 cards are equal with 4xAA on. The X800XT takes a lead with 4xAA/8xAF, but not a huge one.

walkndude
05-23-04, 03:30 PM
ugh.

Lfctony
05-23-04, 03:37 PM
http://www.xbitlabs.com/images/video/r420-2/dx1sf_1600_pure.gif

http://www.xbitlabs.com/images/video/r420-2/dx1ud_1600_pure.gif

Pretty fast. :)

Blacklash
05-23-04, 05:00 PM
It depends on the review.

I have seen sites show the XT only 3FPS ahead in Far Cry with 1200x1600 and 4xAA/8xAF. The fact is both cards will run anything you throw at them at playable frame rates. You need to read all the reviews to feel for the truth. Some of them could not have known what they are doing because the FPS differences in some tests are just too great. That or they are skewing the tests. Keep in mind some benched the 6800U with full trilinear up vs. Ati's adaptive 'trylinear'. The 6800U does a helluva lot with 400mhz. You can find benches to back up any position you want actually. I'd rather have selectable full trilinear, that does run at playable frame rates, and SM 3.0 personally. So one gets 80FPS and the other 65FPS worst case scenario with the full tri. I'll take the smooth 65FPS with full tri.

And as others have said this round is much more about personal preference than anything.

grimreefer
05-23-04, 05:23 PM
people forget that sm3.0 makes the cpu more efficient(yes, i said cpu), so all games where the cpu is the bottleneck, nvida should pwn

Nebuchadnezzar
05-23-04, 06:11 PM
people forget that sm3.0 makes the cpu more efficient(yes, i said cpu), so all games where the cpu is the bottleneck, nvida should pwn
I also heard that it magically makes your pen0s 3" longer the day after you buy it.

:angel2:

Riptide
05-23-04, 06:13 PM
I also heard that it magically makes your pen0s 3" longer the day after you buy it.

:angel2:
Well then you'll need at least two of them right? ;) :D

Sorry man, couldn't resist. :p

Ruined
05-23-04, 06:50 PM
Go with the XGI Volari Duo, word is it has the "smoothest" filtering out of all the next gen cards ;)

LetMeIn
05-23-04, 08:58 PM
im going with NV40 this time .. Its fast enough for me and SM 3 is sure nice addition.

:ORDER:

threedaysdwn
05-24-04, 11:57 AM
I think they look pretty even in Direct3D games.

But in OpenGL the 6800 smacks the x800 around pretty handily.

That, and the problems I had with my 9700 Pro's drivers, ATIs terrible support, and the low quality of their Anisotropic Filtering in games that don't use all flat surface (like AC2), and I'll be sticking with Nvidia once again.

Lfctony
05-24-04, 12:45 PM
I think they look pretty even in Direct3D games.

But in OpenGL the 6800 smacks the x800 around pretty handily.

That, and the problems I had with my 9700 Pro's drivers, ATIs terrible support, and the low quality of their Anisotropic Filtering in games that don't use all flat surface (like AC2), and I'll be sticking with Nvidia once again.

I have 2 ATI cards and they've never given me driver problems. Bad drivers are a thing of the past, it doesn't stand as an argument anymore for which IHV to choose. I believe most people will agree with me. And Nvidia has switched to the same AF method as ATI, so that doesn't stand as an argument either.

Blacklash
05-24-04, 08:16 PM
I have 2 ATI cards and they've never given me driver problems. Bad drivers are a thing of the past, it doesn't stand as an argument anymore for which IHV to choose. I believe most people will agree with me. And Nvidia has switched to the same AF method as ATI, so that doesn't stand as an argument either.

I agree with this. Cracking on Ati drivers is really not legit anymore. Like Nvidia they can have problems, but they are not anything like they were a few years ago. I have a 9800pro and have had no driver problems. Of course that doesn't mean other do not. Still fact remains Ati has come a very long way in improving drivers.

I am definitely getting the 6800 as well. I want to see SM3.0 plus DX9.0c working together. I am not referring just to 'effects' but performance. Doing things in one pass that used to take many.

Raptorman
05-24-04, 08:24 PM

I also agree with you. Driver problems are non-existent with my Radeon 9700 PRO. Though, I believe I will choose the 6800 Ultra route. I'd rather be safe with SM 3.0 that runs a little slower than the X800 XT than wait 6 months to see ATi release their SM 3.0 card and actually see this shader model used more quickly than anticipated.

Just my 2 cents.

saturnotaku
05-24-04, 09:07 PM
ATI drivers are fine if all you play are D3D games. Their OpenGL support, though improved, still has a ways to go.