PDA

View Full Version : Thief Iii!!!

zoomy942
05-24-04, 08:07 AM
It is supposed to be released tomorrow!! i can not wait! i have been playing knights of the old republic, but i would much rather STEAL THINGS! :) :) :)

|JuiceZ|
05-24-04, 08:29 AM
Well as long as it plays as good or better than it looks, I'll be happy :cool:

Morrow
05-24-04, 09:07 AM
It is supposed to be released tomorrow!! i can not wait! i have been playing knights of the old republic, but i would much rather STEAL THINGS! :) :) :)

I thought only the demo would be released tomorrow and not the full game?

Anyway, I'm eager to find out if this is going to be another DX:IW or maybe a worthy Thief sequel.

jAkUp
05-24-04, 10:12 AM
No the full game is released tommorrow, but stores probably won't have it until Wednesday. Me, I'm pretty excited... I was a HUGE Thief1 fan way back when... I just hope this one can come close :)

zoomy942
05-24-04, 11:02 AM
No the full game is released tommorrow, but stores probably won't have it until Wednesday. Me, I'm pretty excited... I was a HUGE Thief1 fan way back when... I just hope this one can come close :)
i have been waiting for this for a while!! i cannot wait! there is no otehr game like it. and when i play it... its all about the first person view.. not third.

zoomy942
05-24-04, 11:06 AM
i called walmart and they said xbox is wednesday and thief for pc, he doesnt know when cause walmart doesnt have it listed.

jAkUp
05-24-04, 11:50 AM
FIRST REVIEW!!!

http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/thief-deadly-shadows/518035p1.html

4/5

Let's start with the game's graphics. Anybody who played a previous Thief can tell you that these have never been the best-looking games in the world. Deadly Shadows upholds that tradition with what is doubtlessly one of the ugliest games in recent memory. The Deus Ex: Invisible War technology that this game was built on was justifiably criticized for the squat, blocky nature of its graphic engine, along with its muddy lighting and annoying bloom effects that just made ugly graphics blurry. Thankfully, Deadly Shadows dispenses with the "bloom" and just lets the graphics stand on their own -- but even that doesn't help in the end.

Everything in Deadly Shadows, the streets, the walls, the windows, the tree branches, looks as if it's been slightly compressed in a car crusher, all blocky, unnatural angles and too many straight lines. I understand that compromises have to be made to insure graphic speed, but that explanation doesn't wash either, as Deadly Shadows' graphics are pretty choppy. It's never enough to hinder gameplay, but when you compare the graphic performance of Deadly Shadows to any other action game, first- or third-person, this game comes up short.

:(

NAZCA M12
05-24-04, 02:38 PM
Yeah i've read it and although mostly correct on what they say (for example loading zones that shouldn't even be there in the first place), regarding the graphics and that "one of the ugliest games in recent memory" of theirs, having seen all pictures/videos released so far, i can safely say that they don't know what the **** they're talking about. :screwy: From an artistic point of view it's definately one of the best looking games out there. Now if the levels turn out to be small or feel like Splinter Cell's, that's another story, but pretty they are.

jAkUp
05-24-04, 02:45 PM
yea its kinda strange to me too.. since I got to see it at E3.. and I thought it looked pretty good. THe only problem was the textures, some textures looked pretty low res to me. The lighting is very nice however.

NAZCA M12
05-24-04, 03:02 PM
I know, most of these low-res textures were reportedly fixed (but i don't believe it). For me it's loading zones that screw that game. The absence of forward leaning screws my playing style too. Anyway, i am almost certain that in terms of graphics (from an artistic viewpoint, not a technological one), AI (on expert of course :D), and sound propagation, that its going to be as advanced as the first one was compared to the competition back in '98. Apart from that however, i still see lots of little console details in it and Deus Ex 2 (shoo! :lol2: ) residues as well. Oh, and we need the editor too (You hear Warren? :D)

|JuiceZ|
05-24-04, 03:06 PM
Yea the E3 vids that I saw didn't resemble anything like what GameSpy describes in that preview. :confused:

Edge
05-24-04, 04:13 PM
Wow, wonder why they don't like the graphics so much. From what I've seen it looks fine to me, but it wouldn't suprise me if they did cut down on a FEW details here and there to get the framerate up (since that was one of the main gripes people had with DX:IW). But blocky, ugly, and MUDDY lighting effects? Yikes, I'd hate to see their review on Doom 3.

Edit: Wait...they contradict themselves pretty badly in that review. I love it when you put these two lines togeather:

its muddy lighting and annoying bloom effects that just made ugly graphics blurry.

On the other hand, the lighting engine is just spectacular.

zoomy942
05-24-04, 04:28 PM
well, i got mine reserved in boise, idaho at software, etc!! i am gonna pick it up on wednesday, which is when it hits stores... it is released tomorrow, but getr in stores wednesday!! i cant wait to go get it!

jAkUp
05-24-04, 07:16 PM
this guy has the game! Strangely enough, alot of things he seems to disagree with on the review:

http://forums.ionstorm.com/index.php?showtopic=210430&st=0