PDA

View Full Version : 5.1 setup

Head_slinger
10-16-02, 11:45 AM
Hi
I have no clue about soundcards speakers etc. I thought it was about time i got a set.
I was wondering what equipment is needed for a 5.1 setup.

Thanx

LTech221
10-16-02, 07:07 PM
Whats your budget, primary uses (movies, gaming, music)? But I would agree with mad if you want the better quality but it can get expensive going that route.

thcdru2k
10-16-02, 07:52 PM
if your on a budget, and definately want to experience 5.1, check out the logitech 5.1 systems, they're among the cheapest. sound cards, santa crus, philips, hercules, they're all pretty good, but right now i'd probably grab the hercules.

it all depends on how much money you got.

budd_wm
10-16-02, 09:13 PM
In order to help you out, we would need to know the primary uses for this 5.1 setup, your budget, order of importance (movies, games, etc), and anything in particular that you were aiming for.

Smokey
10-17-02, 04:33 AM
Originally posted by thcdru2k
if your on a budget, and definately want to experience 5.1, check out the logitech 5.1 systems, they're among the cheapest. sound cards, santa crus, philips, hercules, they're all pretty good, but right now i'd probably grab the hercules.

it all depends on how much money you got.

Hmm I guess your not talking about the z-680s then @ $400? As for sound cards, its best to wait for some reviews od the Audigy2 and also check out some reviews on other sound cards. If you look at these forums people will try and tell you stay away from anything Creative!! Funny thing is that when the Audigy sound cards came out I only read good reviews, same with the SBLive1024(value) and SBLive5.1 cards when they came out, and Im taking a guess here, but I would think that Creative sound cards are in more consumer level pcs than anyother card? As for speakers, also try to read as many reviews as possible, asking on a forum will only give you some limited user feedback.

LTech221
10-17-02, 04:41 AM
Even if the Audigy2 can match the other cards for sound quality, the only thing I worry about is Creative Tech Support. And the best thing would be for you to audition speakers themselves and if possible with different soundcards (more towards friends etc) only your ears can tell you what you like.

Fluke
10-17-02, 08:05 AM
Seeing how you already have a sound card, I'll stick to speaker talk.

If you are looking at cost savings, you could go for the following ideas:

-3.1 speaker setup and buy an additional 2 speaker set and it will be 5.1 with your sound card. Buy 2 sets of 2 speakers to add to your 3.1 and it will be 7.1

-Creative has 5300 speakers and they are top rated for mid class devices. $99 if not lesss, and they are 5.1. (not digital)

-Altec Lansing 251 speakers I have heard and read are very good, and cost approx $130

If you are looking at replacing your sound card as well, I'd try the Turtle Beach Santa Cruz or Audigy(though I can't guarantee how the Audigy will perform in your AMD system). Only reason I say Audigy is because clarity of sound is better than the others. In my system my game performance goes down using it, but you have a little more processor power than me, so it might work better for you.

thcdru2k
10-17-02, 08:45 AM
or get a pair of quality headphones..i always like using sound from headphones compared to a 5.1 system.

Fluke
10-17-02, 08:51 AM
omg i recently moved computer room to basement because it was waking up baby with keyboard and mouse noises and now I get to enjoy 5.1 audio again, I'm a born again n00b cuz i can't get used to the sound...

budd_wm
10-17-02, 02:31 PM
You still haven't answered the questions as to what you are using this setup for, budget, etc. I can't recommend anything until at least that is done. And I'd stay away from the Audigy 2. It's the same chipset as the original Audigy with a few add ons that should have never been added on. But are you going to be doing any recording? What will be the use of this 5.1 setup? Need more info....

ReDeeMeR
10-17-02, 09:27 PM
There's a review i think on extremehardware, Creative Inspire are the best speakers for sub 200$, thei're the loudest, best quality etc

I have these little bitchies, exelent quality and the loudest PC speakers I've seen so far... they rock!

LTech221
10-17-02, 10:26 PM
The Monsoon MH505's came out on top in that review.

LORD-eX-Bu
10-17-02, 10:45 PM
yeah, I am thinking about getting some really good sealed headphones instead of 5.1 or 6.1 speakers. If I can't find good ones below $70 I will just get the headphones. Cuz right now I am just using cheap ol'e pc speakers.

LTech221
10-18-02, 01:42 AM
A few online retailers had the Sennheiser HD280-Pros for around $99.

Fluke
10-18-02, 07:44 AM
Honestly, if you are looking for Headphones, I have told everyone about Plantronics.... they are the most amazing headphones around... and not overly expensive.

Everyone thanks me all the time about them, they all think they are the best they ever had.

Fluke
10-18-02, 07:48 AM
also, I have the 5300 speakers. I too think they are great, but I don't think they compare to my FPS 2000's I had before when I had digital output selected. The 5300's are affordable and sound is decent. For $99, how can you complain? :)

Smokey
10-18-02, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by Fluke
also, I have the 5300 speakers. I too think they are great, but I don't think they compare to my FPS 2000's I had before when I had digital output selected. The 5300's are affordable and sound is decent. For $99, how can you complain? :)

Aren't both those sets of speakers "Creative" speakers? I was under the impresion you hated anything Creative :p

Fluke
10-18-02, 10:20 AM
I do hate Creative. This company is 10x worse than Microsoft could ever be.

But like the rest of the population, for proper game support I must use one. I am presently waiting for new drivers for my Hercules card. If game designers wrote games that applied to all gaming hardware we wouldn't have these issues, but I guess when Creative Labs gives you a big fat paycheck to put in their support, how can one refuse? I know I had the ability to write games, it wouldn't be dependant on 1 sound card primarily. Game deveopers are lazy asses who always take the easy route.

Ya but the speakers are made by Cambridge... just Creative puts their ugly names on them.

Head_slinger
10-18-02, 11:29 AM
Hi sorry ive ben away and very busy :D

My budget is about 150 :D and i use card for gaming im wondering should i just keep using the headphones i have they are 60 ones and sound good but i thought 5.1 would sound better?

Thanx

Fluke
10-18-02, 02:39 PM
5.1 is nice. Headphones are nice too, but if you can turn up volume 5.1 is really nice especially listening to mp3s....

There are good speakers for your price range. Many listed here.

nin_fragile14
10-18-02, 03:51 PM
What kind of digital cable do you use to connect the sound card to the reciever? Optical or coaxial?

Head_slinger
10-18-02, 07:02 PM
i dont have any equipment yet