PDA

View Full Version : Best racing game for Force Feedback? How's CMR4?

XanderF
05-25-04, 02:28 PM
I'm interested in finding a racing sim that REALLY does Force Feedback well.

Secondly, VERY INTERESTED in graphics quality. I have a fairly beast of a system, and would like to put it to good use.

I would *like* something offroad, but street racing or NFS-like tracks would be fine. Definately not NASCAR or F1 racing in a circuit. Definately, DEFINATELY not that.

(FWIW, this is an attempt at getting the wife into a different genre than text-based-adventure-games. She likes enough those arcade racing machines because of their force feedback, but, let's be honest, the graphics they put out are quite a few years behind PCs. I was THINKING Rally games, but there just doesn't seem to be anything approaching recent with competent graphics and working Force Feedback.)

Should add, this really is for the wife who is not, by any stretch of the imagination, a realism freak. Physics do not even have to be close. Just going for good force feedback and graphics, here.

Collin McRae Rally 04 looks pretty good - and the FF support is supposedly better than CMR3. How good IS it? It IS better than the simple 'rumble' support typical of console games, right?

jAkUp
05-25-04, 03:37 PM
I recommend RallySport Challenge. Force feedback is nice, And the graphics are better than Collin McRae 04 IMO. Near photrealistic. There is a demo available here:
http://download.microsoft.com/download/zulu/Trial/rsc-1.0/W982KMeXP/EN-US/rallitrl.exe

What really sets Rallisport apart from other Rally games is the graphics. Take a look at the screens accompanying this review and take note, especially if you have the latest and greatest offerings from nVidia (which sponsors the game on the splash screen). If you want to show off awesome bump-mapping features, real time window reflections, sun glare, outstanding lightsourcing, and vegetation which looks and feels real instead of just being 2D sprite cutouts, this is your game. The bushes and grass even bend and sway as the car plows through them. The cars are similarly polished with respectably high polygon counts, a few deformable parts and breakable glass, as well as visible occupants inside the cars. Exhaust smoke can be seen billowing out of the tailpipe even as the car awaits the race start. Ice never looked more real, with bump mapping to drool for making uneven reflections look exactly like the real thing. The game is high resolution and high detail. The trees which fade into the distance become softer in what appears to be a gentle hazing effect rather than the usual pop-up disguising fog. The draw-distances are never a worry. The track terrain is very unpredictable. Some of the faster straights feature undulation and bumps all over the road's width, making the left or right suspension droop or get airborne, depending on the location of the dip/bump and the angle at which you hit it. It all looks very rich

http://pcmedia.ign.com/pc/image/rallisport_111502_018.jpg

http://pcmedia.ign.com/pc/image/rallisport_071702_002.jpg

http://pcmedia.ign.com/pc/image/rallisport_091802_009.jpg

GlowStick
05-25-04, 04:12 PM
I thought rally sport challange had little/no feedback at all, however it could of been the wheel i was useing. It was a microsoft one and they havent updated their drivers forever.

jAkUp
05-25-04, 04:19 PM
I dunno about the FF in a wheel, but it had pretty good FF in my Logitech FF joystick

XanderF
05-25-04, 08:34 PM
It's kinda the wheel I'm going for.

Also, it doesn't have a '****pit' view, does it? Thought it was just a third-person game. Would prefer an inside view, if possible.

jAkUp
05-25-04, 08:44 PM
Well.. it does have an inside view... but it has no ****pit... CMR4 does have a nice ****pit though

MUYA
05-26-04, 12:13 AM
CMR4 Forcefeed options are pathetic. Its very hard to configure the dead zone or sensitivity. Those who have tried might know about it. Still once u get it right, its sweet CMR4 that is with a Logitech Momo FFB Racing wheel. :D

Shamrock
05-26-04, 05:27 AM
Rallisport Challenge does have nice force feedback, and has a ****pit view...but the physics absolutely stink...CM04 is MUCH better at the physics, but I am a road racer, I prefer my F1 Challenge :)

BTW, I have a Logitech MOMO (red) so it will jerk outta your hand if you set it on max (150%) :D

LycosV
05-26-04, 10:52 AM
The last racing game with good forcefeedback I've really played was NFS: Porshe Unleased. It's great fun to play with a force feedback wheel, and it's still got graphics that look pretty good.

XanderF
05-27-04, 02:40 AM
BTW, I have a Logitech MOMO (red) so it will jerk outta your hand if you set it on max (150%) :D

Well, my table is GLASS, so I'll NOT be getting that one! :eek:

The last racing game with good forcefeedback I've really played was NFS: Porshe Unleased.

Hmmm....I'll give it a try. Wife likes the looks and history of Porshe.

Shamrock
05-29-04, 04:56 AM
Well, my table is GLASS, so I'll NOT be getting that one! :eek:

Hmmm....I'll give it a try. Wife likes the looks and history of Porshe.

LOL, you CAN turn down the FF, I was just explaining the quality of the red Logi MOMO. Best Wheel I have ever owned/played on. My friend once had a TSW (Thomas Super Wheel), and he loved mine better. He wanted to trade me his TSW, and $50...I said no way

XanderF
06-01-04, 01:52 PM
'Nother concern...

I downloaded the CMR04 demo. It only has one option available - 'stages' in the demo.

Now, those are REALLY FREAKING SHORT. We are talking 3 min, here.

I really hope the full rally races are longer than THAT! And, hopefully, not just by doing laps (I sure hope not - laps?! In a RALLY race?!?!)

Comments?