PDA

View Full Version : tnt2 help

Seijuro
05-25-04, 03:34 PM
i just got a riva tnt2 m64 16mb video card and i wanted to know if anyone know what are the best drivers for this card. Also can someone tell me where to get the bios so I can flash my video bios and how i'm supposed to go about it.

I got a really old computer and just bought this video card for $20CAD. I'm thinking it should be better than my onboard ATI Rage PRO 8mb video card.
I dont run high end games I just wanna run Counter-Strike 1.5 at a decent fps rate. Also i wanna tweak this card to the max with stock cooling, my computer is in the basement and its always cold down there so i think its pretty good if someone can tell me how to overclock or link me to a program that can do that for me

Comp Specs:
hewleet Packard
Intel PII
350mhz
128mb ram
12gb hd
win98se

saturnotaku
05-25-04, 07:38 PM
Far as drivers for a TNT, stick with something like version 12.90. You should be able to snag from from NVIDIA's FTP server:

ftp://download.nvidia.com

Navigate to the Windows folder and you should find what you need.

Video BIOS flashing should only be necessary if you're experiencing display corruption in 2D applications/Windows desktop. If the card is performing normally, don't flash it. And if you are experiencing problems/artifacts in 3D, a BIOS flash will not help you, most likely the card itself is dying.

And for tweaking that TNT, all I can suggest is download RivaTuner from http://www.guru3d.com. If you don't know what a setting is, don't mess with it. And for overclocking, I wouldn't recommend it at all on a card like that. The M64 is a crippled card out of the gate and any overclocking you might do will offer a negligible improvement at best, especially on a system as old as yours. Start saving those pennies for a better machine. For US$500 or less you can build a system that's at least 3x as powerful as what you have now and still be able to run Windows 98 somewhat decently.

Seijuro
05-25-04, 08:04 PM
i cant find 12.90 but i see 12.41. rite now i been using the Detonator 44.03 drivers after i've done some research but they seem to be for higher end cards im not sure how they're do with tnt2 cards. I tried registering there but somehow it doesnt work i didnt get no email to activate the account.

Doesnt video bios flashing give performance improvement or does it jus solves problems?

do u know any threads discussing about the tnt2 and their drivers or tweaks?

saturnotaku
05-26-04, 08:17 AM
i cant find 12.90 but i see 12.41. rite now i been using the Detonator 44.03 drivers after i've done some research but they seem to be for higher end cards im not sure how they're do with tnt2 cards. I tried registering there but somehow it doesnt work i didnt get no email to activate the account.

Doesnt video bios flashing give performance improvement or does it jus solves problems?

do u know any threads discussing about the tnt2 and their drivers or tweaks?

You don't need to register to download anything off the NVIDIA FTP. The 12.41 drivers also will work well with a TNT2. Use an FTP client to anonymously log onto NVIDIA's site. Most graphical clients allow you to drag and drop the file from the server to a folder on your system.

As I said before, video BIOS flashing in 99% of cases does not give performance increases, especially on a card like the TNT. The only real known cases of BIOS flashes giving performance increases are when lesser video cards are built on the circuit boards of better cards - for example people flashed their Radeon 9700 cards with a 9700 Pro BIOS to get the latter cards higher clock speeds. Also, people flashed GeForce FX 5900 non-ultra cards with an FX 5950 BIOS to get those clock speeds. Even in those caes, that procedure was highly experimental and didn't work for everyone.

Far as discussion of TNT tweaks, there hasn't been any major talk around here since early 2002 (I would guess). And those threads have long since been deleted. Your only resource for that kind of information would probably be Google. It's not that no one is willing to help you, it's just that none of us have a card like that any more. The only place where I've seen any sort of recent discussion of TNT cards is in our Linux forum, which obviously doesn't help you any...unless of course you purchase a new machine and turn your present one into a dedicated 'nix box. :)

Seijuro
05-26-04, 04:16 PM
yeah i guess so its a pretty old card. Since i alrdy installed the 30.82 and everything is working ok...i think ill stick with them. And i meant i couldnt register at Guru3d forums i did but i didnt get an email for activation. I was thinking of posting there too...to get an idea of wat drivers do ppl use with this tnt2 card. Next time ill do a little more research before i buy a card since the m64 is a not a real tnt2 card.

im thinking of building of computer with the
Athlon XP Mobile 2500+
ABIT NF7-S nVIDIA nForce2
PowerColor Radeon 9600PRO 256MB i dunno about the video card i heard i should stay away from powercolor and get a sapphire or ati not sure.

im not sure wat ram i should get and they pretty expensive since the last time i checked. I need some ram so i can overclock my XP2500+ to 3200+

saturnotaku
05-26-04, 04:19 PM
That's a good start, but I would ditch that 9600 in favor of a Radeon 9800 Pro, GeForce FX 5900XT or wait for the budget versions of the X800 and GeForce 6800. Once the X800 and 6800 cards are available en masse, you should be able to pick up one of the first two cards I mentioned for probably between US$150-175.

As far as memory goes, you'll want something high quality like Corsair, GeiL (my personal choice as it's good RAM for not a lot of money) or OCZ.