PDA

View Full Version : Did anyone try that Cyber tweak utility..

Tactics
08-01-02, 05:34 PM
that was mentioned here yesterday? I'm just courious if anyone seen a big gain in speed.

Pakman
08-01-02, 05:57 PM
Yes,

It showed an increase over the CableNut settings which I had before. I have tried a lot of these types of proggies and reg hacks. This one really worked well, that's why I posted it. It is simple to use and does the job well. Cost $0, why not try it?

netviper13
08-01-02, 08:41 PM
Used it with WinXP, but didn't get any increase. Oh well, no decrease and no loss of stability so I'm keeping it installed.

Pakman
08-01-02, 09:25 PM
You have hacked your registry already haven't you? XP reserves (doesn't let you use it for internet connection) 20% of network bandwidth by default. You know about that, right?

netviper13
08-01-02, 09:37 PM
Yup, that's the first thing I get rid of after I install XP.

demonized
08-07-02, 09:11 AM
How do i fix that?

volt
08-07-02, 10:18 AM
This is only affecting your performance (IF affecting at all, because I haven't noticed any difference, even if I ran 'perfmon' from run box) if you have Windows XP Pro.

Click the Start button -> Run -> type:
gpedit.msc Hit Enter or click OK. Go to Local Computer Policy -> Administrative Templates -> Network -> QOS Packet Scheduler.
In the right hand side double-click on the "Limit reservable bandwidth" setting. On the Setting tab check the Enabled box.
Change "Bandwidth limit %" to read 0. Click OK and close Gpedit.msc. Under Start -> My Computer -> My Network Connections -> View Network Connections -> right-click on your connection -> select Properties (where your protocols are listed) -> make sure QOS Packet Scheduler is enabled.

I've heard that it will reserve that 20% EVEN IF you have QOS disabled. So enable it and do those steps above.

Matthyahuw
08-07-02, 12:20 PM
The QoS thing is a misunderstanding...
it only reservers 20% if the OTHER SIDE says to do it (server has QoS installed and running as well)
like in the corporate environment where it is necessary to reserve bandwidth for mission critical stuff.

styles-T
08-08-02, 10:42 PM
try going to www.speedguide.net

this is my favorite site for i-net tweaks.