PDA

View Full Version : Thief 3 Deadly Shadows thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

jAkUp
05-26-04, 12:29 AM
The game is scheduled to hit today (5/25/04)
Here are reviews so far which have all given Thief3 pretty good scores:

IGN Review (8.6/10) (http://pc.ign.com/articles/518/518951p1.html)
1UP Review (8.5/10) (http://www.1up.com/article2/0,2053,1600847,00.asp)
Gamespot Review (8.3/10) (http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/thief3/review.html)
Gamespy (4/5) (http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/thief-deadly-shadows/518035p1.html)

I have some very fond memories of playing the original Thief on my 333MHz/Voodoo2 powered PC. Can't wait to see the 3rd installment in action :clap:

nVidi0t
05-26-04, 01:51 AM
w00t! Cheers man, I've been away from the net for a while and I missed these reviews.

MUYA
05-26-04, 02:15 AM
3rd perspective hmmm not a fan of that genre unless it's similar to Splinter cell...ie tactics and stealth :D

Ok seen some SS. is it half and half? ie half front perspective and half 3rd persp. ?

jAkUp
05-26-04, 02:32 AM
Basically you can choose either perspective. 3rd person, would be similar to Splinter Cell, and the first person mode would be like the classic Thief. I think I'm gonna play in 1st person, because supposly both are done well.

SH0DAN
05-26-04, 02:42 AM
playing Thief in third person is the same as cheating to me.after the fiasco with DX2,I'm taking a wait and see approach...

MUYA
05-26-04, 02:46 AM
playing Thief in third person is the same as cheating to me.Pls explain that to me thanks? How would playing thief playing in 3rd perspective be cheating??? that until explained to me with vaild reasons is beyond me.

Edge
05-26-04, 04:12 AM
It's hardly cheating to use a 3rd person camera, in Thief 2 you had that floating camera-orb that you could basically take all around the level and see what's around every corner and where every guard is, but noone said that was cheating. The 3rd person view just lets you see what's around nearby corners without having to peak your head out (which the guards never seemed to notice in the old Thief's, at least not that I can remember), and from the sound of it the game is best played mostly in the first-person view anyway. I do like the fact that your character actually has a full body even in first-person view, it's so much more realistic seeing your own shadow and movements in the world rather than just having the "floating hands" effect that's in most first-person games.

Morrow
05-26-04, 06:26 AM
demo?

after the DX:IW fiasco, I don't think that anyone will buy that game before trying the demo

NAZCA M12
05-26-04, 08:43 AM
3rd person cheating? Wouldn't say so. It's just that when we're talking about a sequel, we're all used to certain features introduced in the first game. I mean, imagine if SC3 was to be played in 1st person only. I think lots of people would be pretty pissed with that change. The optional 3rd person view in Thief III (which is default for the Xbox version, i think we all know why), is abnormal for a Thief game. Plain and simple. Which is why it's going out of the window for me :D

SH0DAN
05-26-04, 01:19 PM
Pls explain that to me thanks? How would playing thief playing in 3rd perspective be cheating??? that until explained to me with vaild reasons is beyond me.

If you could have looked around corners without the need to "peak" or lean how do you think it would have changed the first and second game.it takes
alot of the challenge out of it as well.browse the ionstorm t3 forums,many
there can explain this far better then I.I really do believe that some games
do not improve with this feature,it only hinders them.

Jarred
05-26-04, 01:56 PM
If you could have looked around corners without the need to "peak" or lean how do you think it would have changed the first and second game.it takes
alot of the challenge out of it as well.browse the ionstorm t3 forums,many
there can explain this far better then I.I really do believe that some games
do not improve with this feature,it only hinders them.

can't you just not use it? don't they still have the FP mode?

SH0DAN
05-26-04, 02:06 PM
yes fp is in,but thats not the point.

Jarred
05-26-04, 02:40 PM
yes fp is in,but thats not the point.

well, wait a sec isn't it?

if your complaining that 3rd persion mode is "cheating" then just don't use it.

you can play the game without having to jump into 3rd mode.

Jarred
05-26-04, 02:43 PM
It's hardly cheating to use a 3rd person camera, in Thief 2 you had that floating camera-orb that you could basically take all around the level and see what's around every corner and where every guard is, but noone said that was cheating. The 3rd person view just lets you see what's around nearby corners without having to peak your head out (which the guards never seemed to notice in the old Thief's, at least not that I can remember), and from the sound of it the game is best played mostly in the first-person view anyway. I do like the fact that your character actually has a full body even in first-person view, it's so much more realistic seeing your own shadow and movements in the world rather than just having the "floating hands" effect that's in most first-person games.

I agree, it's also easier when jumping to see where your characters feet are.

jAkUp
05-26-04, 02:43 PM
I actually wish they didnt include the 3rd person option either.. because I know Im gonna be tempted to use it to look around corners..lol

Jarred
05-26-04, 02:47 PM
anyone ever play Tenchu for Ps2?

that game was freakin bad ass ninja stealth game with 3rd person capabilities, I don't think that feature hindered the game at all.

Rob_0126
05-26-04, 05:28 PM
Folks, maybe it's just that I have never played the thief series, but I dont like this game.

Maybe it's because the Xbox version runs between 15-25 fps.

The game itself is standard fair for stealth. I have a few squirks with the Animations of the guards studdering a bit.

Ok, the frame rate is the glaring problem with the game. I can't seem to figure out why Ninja Gaiden ran at 60 fps, yet this one cant hold 30?

Yeh, yeh, dynamic lighting, self casting shadows; looks pretty, but I bet it's the cause of the frame rate issues.

If it wasn't for the frames, Id actually enjoy this game.

Another thing that makes me against the game; I dont have a set of night vision googles :retard: (Just got done playing SC:PT, and it sux walking in the dark, not being able to see clearly.

o well, not using this as flamebait, just giving my opinion, from someone who has never played the thief series.

EDIT: Wish I could have played a demo disc before plucking down $50 on this(I just hate beta testing)

nvnews-reader
05-26-04, 05:41 PM
I'm glad to know not to get the xbox version. I think the PC version will be much better. All consoles even xbox are starting to look and feel dated to me. I've pretty much stoped buying games for them until ps3/xbox2 come out.

Jarred
05-26-04, 05:42 PM
I'm glad to know not to get the xbox version. I think the PC version will be much better. All consoles even xbox are starting to look and feel dated to me. I've pretty much stoped buying games for them until ps3/xbox2 come out.

don't hold your breath on ps3.

zoomy942
05-26-04, 07:54 PM
well, i have the game but i am havibng that da*n mouse lag thing like is dues ex. boo!!

SH64
05-26-04, 08:13 PM
Any word if Thief3 will take advantage of UltraSahdow feature in NV cards ?

SH0DAN
05-26-04, 09:47 PM
I actually wish they didnt include the 3rd person option either.. because I know Im gonna be tempted to use it to look around corners..lol

exactly,just one of the many reasons...

Edge
05-26-04, 11:44 PM
Ya know, you could probably just switch the view to first-person and then unassign the change view button.

All consoles even xbox are starting to look and feel dated to me.

To an extent, but that doesn't keep games like Halo 2 from looking very nice, even by today's PC standards. Then again, do you absolutly need good graphics to play the games? Isn't gameplay the main thing that matters in the end? I know I would've never played a game like System Shock 2 or The Longest Journey if graphics were really an issue, and those are some of my favorite games despite the graphics.

nVidi0t
05-27-04, 07:23 AM
I think 3rd person destroys the intensity the original Thief had. When I was hiding around a corner, the only thing I had to know if someone was coming were my ears and my 5.1 surround speakers. Flipping into 3rd person is just WAY to arcadey for a Thief game.

zoomy942
05-27-04, 07:55 AM
okay, i am sure lots of you own the game. how are your FPS? i get about 20 at 1280*1024. i have to put the game at 800*600 to not get mouse lag! WTF?!?!?!

EDIT: i fixed the mouse lag. i changed something in the .ini file. but can someone run fraps and see their FPS? i am wondering cause this is drving me nuts. would a 9800 run this game better?