PDA

View Full Version : SCSI drives - serious problem!

Riptide
05-26-04, 09:43 AM
Help! My system is completely hammered right now and I suspect my controller is the issue. But I want some opinions...

When I attempt to copy files on my machine, say by taking the UT2004 folder (5gb) and copying to the desktop, the machine hangs for a minute and returns a blue screen - unknown hard error c000021a or c000007a. I can replicate the problem reliably by simply trying to copy any folder over about 40meg or so. The drive access light turns off and the machine freezes then sits for about 20 seconds before coming back with the blue screen.

This all started last night. I took my machine down and blew the dust out of it (wasn't much in there though) and then reconnected it. I never disconnected anything inside the PC either. Nothing in there was touched.

I have already reseated the cable, tried a different SCSI cable, and put my Adaptec 39320D controller in a different slot. The problem persists. I also did a surface scan on both drives via the Adaptec onboard utilities (in the SCSI BIOS) and it found no problems.

I should note that I was having this problem a few months back but after several attempts at re-seating the cable and the controller the problem eventually just disappeared. Now it's back, and with a vengeance.

Any ideas? Is the controller the likely culprit? I am real tempted to dump all this equipment and get a couple of Raptors instead because I'm really losing patience for this - and replacing any of my SCSI array devices is going to cost a boatload.

Ideas?? Suggestions?? Thanks!

retsam
05-26-04, 09:03 PM
did you reinstall and do a reformat ....what about a scandisk did you do that also .... did you see if there are any upgraded controller drivers ....what about the scsi card bios did you make sure you have the right setting in them.....what about your scsi id's are the sequencial sometimese if there not it will slowly creap up on you

retsam

Rampant CL
05-27-04, 05:15 AM
Erm, check for bent pins on the controller and drives, more ideas to follow

Riptide
05-27-04, 08:30 AM
did you reinstall and do a reformat ....what about a scandisk did you do that also .... did you see if there are any upgraded controller drivers ....what about the scsi card bios did you make sure you have the right setting in them.....what about your scsi id's are the sequencial sometimese if there not it will slowly creap up on you

retsam
I tried rebuilding the machine (ie, reformat) when this problem came up last month. That didn't help.. Only reseating everything about 5x seemed to finally get it to come out of it. Then, after taking the machine down to dust it out yesterday it started doing it again. Reseating it didn't fix it this time, or rather wouldn't fix it. I am using the latest drivers and BIOS for the card. The SCSI ID's are fine..

I already have two WD raptors on the way. Should be here today. I am going to take my SCSI array and set it up on another PC to test it out. I want to determine whether it's something about my machine causing this or if it really is a bad controller or drive. If it's the controller I'll chuck it and sell the drives. If it's the drive(s) then I'll call seagate.

Also, I have tried switching the controller to different slots and also a different cable. No help there...

Riptide
05-27-04, 08:31 AM
Erm, check for bent pins on the controller and drives, more ideas to follow
Thanks, I thought it might have been the cable since the connectors on the drives are female so nothing to get bent there... However, a different cable doesn't help. :(

poursoul
05-27-04, 11:16 PM
The connectors on a UW or U160/LVD cable have such thin pins though.

Funny you mention this, just three days ago i was having very similar probs. It ended up being this very strange corrosion built up between two of the soldering points on the backside of my controller. I don't know if that'll help but check for stuff like that. Oh yeah, and swelling capacitors.

GL man, i feel your pain.

EDIT: just noticed you got like 3K! more posts than i do, JESUS MAN. get the hell outa the political forum more often. heh.

retsam
05-28-04, 10:32 AM
it sounds like the scsi cable could be bad did you try to change it out

Riptide
05-28-04, 10:48 AM
it sounds like the scsi cable could be bad did you try to change it outNegative... Cable didn't fixit. I had a spare. The problem is almost certainly either a flakey drive or controller. I'm hoping controller. I am going to set the array up on a friend's computer and do some testing to see if it continues the behavior there. If it does then I'll take the array down, access each drive separately and run more tests to determine if it's one of the drives.

Riptide
05-28-04, 10:52 AM
The connectors on a UW or U160/LVD cable have such thin pins though.

Funny you mention this, just three days ago i was having very similar probs. It ended up being this very strange corrosion built up between two of the soldering points on the backside of my controller. I don't know if that'll help but check for stuff like that. Oh yeah, and swelling capacitors.

GL man, i feel your pain.

EDIT: just noticed you got like 3K! more posts than i do, JESUS MAN. get the hell outa the political forum more often. heh.
Yep, I hate how many pins there are to these cables and how tiny they are. Very fragile stuff. I didn't notice any corrosion on the controller or the connector on the drives. What is a swelling capacitor? Oh, and the cost of these SCSI cables is ridiculous. An U320 cable can cost easily upwards of $60. W/terminator.

Anyhow, I got my machine going again yesterday and actually gained a bit of performance with the Raptor array. PCI was holding my SCSI system back, whereas w/the Raptors that isn't a factor. It's to bad I can't find a motherboard w/PCIX slots for my SCSI controller, but the only one out there is the gigabyte ultra64 and it's ridiculous ($350 motherboard). The Raptor array is not having the problem that my SCSI array was, so clearly there is something wrong with one of my parts there.

Heh, it took me a while to get the 3K posts. ;) Lately most of my posting has been in the gfx forums though, not the political. Been a little slow in there lately.

retsam
05-28-04, 04:16 PM
Anyhow, I got my machine going again yesterday and actually gained a bit of performance with the Raptor array. PCI was holding my SCSI system back, whereas w/the Raptors that isn't a factor. It's to bad I can't find a motherboard w/PCIX slots for my SCSI controller, but the only one out there is the gigabyte ultra64 and it's ridiculous ($350 motherboard). The Raptor array is not having the problem that my SCSI array was, so clearly there is something wrong with one of my parts there.

well if you should check out a tyan .... i jsut got a dual opteron m for a $125 with ultra 320 on it and 4 64bit pci-x...... ok ok i know i bought it from a freind brand new ... .but thats for another thread .... but you can get them for under $200 with a little luck ....

retsam

Riptide
05-28-04, 04:36 PM
Thanks for the suggestion, but a new CPU, registered memory for the opteron (not sure if it needs that), and the $200 for that motherboard are going to cost more than just buying the Gigabyte Ultra64 and keeping everything else I have right now..